Budget spin rod and reel under $70 Luring soft plastics

User avatar
fisho999
Rank: Silver Trevally
Rank: Silver Trevally
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:08 am
Has liked: 465 times
Likes received: 148 times

Re: Budget spin rod and reel under $70 Luring soft plastics

Post by fisho999 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:17 pm

shazac wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:38 pm
BEN475 do you think the
https://www.bcf.com.au/p/abu-garcia-sal ... water&src=
Rod would work in the 7ft 2-4 kg for pinkies?
read some reviews about its tip snapping

p.s. how do you quote a previous comment??
press the button that looks like 2 little stingrays on the top right hand corner :tu:

shazac
Rank: Baitfish
Rank: Baitfish
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:43 pm
Has liked: 11 times
Likes received: 1 time

Re: Budget spin rod and reel under $70 Luring soft plastics

Post by shazac » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:41 pm

thanks though if i shell out on the sienna quickfire i wont have much to spend on plastics and jig heads so may go with one of cheaper 2 as i transport on a bike with a rod holder and a composite might be a tad bit more forgiving. and I might need new braid and leader [is mono equivalent poundage mono fine] which all ads to the cost.

is the Kmart combo a 2 piece rod?

User avatar
fisho999
Rank: Silver Trevally
Rank: Silver Trevally
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:08 am
Has liked: 465 times
Likes received: 148 times

Re: Budget spin rod and reel under $70 Luring soft plastics

Post by fisho999 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:03 am

are you asking if mono is fine instead of braid? mono is good for bait fishing because you don't need a lot of sensitivity. i would personally always go with braid because it lets you stay in contact with the lure and you can feel everything that it touchs in the water. check out spider wire braid on anconda.

User avatar
Fish-cador
Rank: Kingfish
Rank: Kingfish
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:00 pm
Has liked: 10 times
Likes received: 93 times

Re: Budget spin rod and reel under $70 Luring soft plastics

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:40 am

Shazac, how old are you? Student? Location?

I am sure i have something gathering dust in the garage.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

User avatar
Kenle
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:23 am
Has liked: 212 times
Likes received: 151 times

Re: Budget spin rod and reel under $70 Luring soft plastics

Post by Kenle » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:10 am

Fish-cador wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:40 am
Shazac, how old are you? Student? Location?

I am sure i have something gathering dust in the garage.
Fish cador is a very generous man, his hand me down gear is legendary. Thanks Fish cador for being so kind

ben475
Rank: King George Whiting
Rank: King George Whiting
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:20 pm
Has liked: 124 times
Likes received: 97 times

Re: Budget spin rod and reel under $70 Luring soft plastics

Post by ben475 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:03 pm

shazac wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:41 pm
thanks though if i shell out on the sienna quickfire i wont have much to spend on plastics and jig heads so may go with one of cheaper 2 as i transport on a bike with a rod holder and a composite might be a tad bit more forgiving. and I might need new braid and leader [is mono equivalent poundage mono fine] which all ads to the cost.

is the Kmart combo a 2 piece rod?
it is a 2-piece rod.
it comes with something like 10 or 15lb mono, id strip half-2/3's of it off and leave half on as backing and fill the spool with braid.
yes i think it would be more forgiving than a high modulus graphite rod.
or take up fish-cador's offer :tu:

shazac
Rank: Baitfish
Rank: Baitfish
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:43 pm
Has liked: 11 times
Likes received: 1 time

Re: Budget spin rod and reel under $70 Luring soft plastics

Post by shazac » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:19 pm

thank you very much I really appreciate the offer
I'm a 17 year old student in st Kilda Melbourne I'm currently working on a summer job to earn money for rest of year but I also need to save hence the limited budget.

shazac
Rank: Baitfish
Rank: Baitfish
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:43 pm
Has liked: 11 times
Likes received: 1 time

Re: Budget spin rod and reel under $70 Luring soft plastics

Post by shazac » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:21 pm

fisho999 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:03 am
are you asking if mono is fine instead of braid? mono is good for bait fishing because you don't need a lot of sensitivity. i would personally always go with braid because it lets you stay in contact with the lure and you can feel everything that it touchs in the water. check out spider wire braid on anconda.
I meant using mono as a leader instead of fluro carbon and I was asking abut how much poundage the leader should be
cheers

User avatar
Fish-cador
Rank: Kingfish
Rank: Kingfish
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:00 pm
Has liked: 10 times
Likes received: 93 times

Re: Budget spin rod and reel under $70 Luring soft plastics

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:22 pm

If you are after a SP rod, I have the spin rod for you. What do you prefer, 1 pc or 2 pc? Use your $70 budget on a sienna reel. If you want to soak bait for snapper or pinkies in st kilda area, I can toss more rods on your collection. I can also spare you one old Shimano Sustain 4000/5000 reels, the golden version. It is used, not the smoothest second hand reel but tough as nail. I spray painted it last year. It looks better than before. :-) I normally use this reel in St Kilda pier for pinkies and bream bait soaking. If you want a surf rod, i have dusty shimano technium too.

Yours if you want them.

Should you decide to take my offer, PM me and we can make the arrangement around Kerferd pier area where I can park for free.

One catch, I have dash cams in my car, front and rear. We will do the handover in front of my car for our own security. If you can come with an adult, that will be fine too. We can't be too careful these days.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

ben475
Rank: King George Whiting
Rank: King George Whiting
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:20 pm
Has liked: 124 times
Likes received: 97 times

Re: Budget spin rod and reel under $70 Luring soft plastics

Post by ben475 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:51 pm

shazac wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:21 pm
fisho999 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:03 am
are you asking if mono is fine instead of braid? mono is good for bait fishing because you don't need a lot of sensitivity. i would personally always go with braid because it lets you stay in contact with the lure and you can feel everything that it touchs in the water. check out spider wire braid on anconda.
I meant using mono as a leader instead of fluro carbon and I was asking abut how much poundage the leader should be
cheers
mono is fine for leader, buy a spool from kmart for about $4 it will last you forever. 10lb is a reasonable start. tie it to the braid with a double uni knot, have a go at tying an FG knot if your keen.

Post Reply

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”