My UL spin rods: New Megabass Levante, 2018 Daiwa Infeet and 2018 Majorcraft Basspara

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

My UL spin rods: New Megabass Levante, 2018 Daiwa Infeet and 2018 Majorcraft Basspara

Post by Sebb » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:38 pm

Just another writing to kill some boredom during lockdown and amuse myself.

I mentioned it before how I like to have one pair of rod and reel for each application and condition.
I have 6x UL rods now, each has their own use, but three of them I use for identical application and condition. So why do I have 3 UL rods for similar if not same condition (Levante, Infeet and Basspara)? for bream, trout, reddies, EPs, Bass.

The other three are Shakespeare Slingshot UL travel rod, Daiwa Presso and old Team Daiwa Tierra nibble tip, but not going to talk about them. Since I think they're in different categories to the mentioned three earlier.

So here are the three UL rods and why I bought them, etc.
IMG20210908160834_compress86.jpg
2018 Majorcraft Basspara 63UL, 3-6lb, casts 1/32-3/16 oz.

I bought this rod years ago when I was looking for UL rod. That was when I started thinking that 2-4 kg raider was overkill for bream, trout, redfin, etc. Was going to get 1-3kg Veritas 1.0 (much lighter compared to raider) but didn't like it being too stiff. So I bought the Basspara from Japan. Retailed for $149 I think it was, and I think I bought it for $120 from Digitaka. There is newer model and has some upgrades.
IMG20210908164325_compress96.jpg
I like cork grip better than any other for some reason, maybe it's personal opinion but I think generally cork has more 'feel' than EVA, especially cheap rods EVA, it's one of the reasons I bought the Basspara back then.

It has fuji o-ring and weighs 110gm. I paired it with Freams 2000 (weighs 190gm), I caught a lot of fish from trout, reddies, metro bream to decent sized bass and pinkies. Perfect for light SPs, light hardbodies (not deep dive crank), and light vibes (not heavy metal vibes). It's a good all rounder rod.
IMG20210908162350_compress46.jpg
The slightly bulky hand grip is so good on the palm, perfect for full grip, but not for straight index finger (usually I do this for finesse fishing to feel the vibration etc). So if you like to hold the rod full grip, you'll like this.
IMG20210908163653_compress39.jpg
I think it's rated fast, but it's a bit whippy and wobbly for a fast rod. I'd say it's more like medium fast. For fast rod fans, it's probably a bit too wobbly/shippy.

For the price I paid, definitely worth it.

2018 Daiwa Infeet 682ULRS, PE 0.3-0.8, casts 1-6gm, butt joint.

This is a 'true' regular rod. Pretty sensitive, a bit whippy but still feels crisp, bends in the center of the rod like an egi/squid rod.

After I started fly fishing, I would enjoy 'whippy' rods than stiff super fast rods, mostly for light stuff though. Would still use fast rod for heavier stuff.
With regular action rod (especially UL stuff), it's effortless to cast ultra light weight, use the rod and not whipping the rod super hard to cast.
IMG20210908163500_compress35.jpg
IMG20210908163902_compress80.jpg
Another good advantage is it's very shock absorbance. Less stress on the line (less chance to break the line/knot), less stress on the hook (less chance to pull the hook off the fish, especially trebles). This is also why fly fishermen can land 8lb trout in fast running water with only 4lb tippet leader.

Not always, but the trade off is that regular rods tend not to be as sensitive as fast rods (and usually not as accurate). I had Gen Black v1 1-3kg (very fast/stiff rod) and I swear there was a significant difference in sensitivity and accuracy.

The fuji skinny handle (don't know what it's called) of Infeet is such a joy to hold/grip, especially with index finger slightly forward/straight for finesse application.

It was weird when I tried the first time, but the no EVA/cork provides extra sensitivity. It's what making this 2018 Infeet so good. It has less sensitivity being a regular rod (still pretty sensitive btw), but it has extra added sensitivity from the fuji skinny reel seat and handle.
IMG20210908164158_compress73.jpg
IMG20210908164208_compress33.jpg
For finesse hardbodies for bream fishing, trout, reddies, this is definitely my go to rod.
Still okay for plastic bottom fishing, but would rather use the Basspara or the Levante. I find it fast rods are better for bottom plastic fishing, the extra sensitivity helps a lot as usually there's more slack during bottom plastic fishing compared to hardbody fishing. Not always the case of course.

As per today, Anglerswarehouse still has this model for $169

The new 2020 Blue Infeet somewhat should have something similar feel and action etc, apart from the reel seat and handle grip.

Megabass Levante F1 63LVS 2P, 2-6lb, casts 1/32-1/8 oz.

The plan was for this Levante rod to be the upgrade replacement of the Basspara.

This rod is $399 at Motackle and Anglerswarehouse, I bought it from Japan for $250 (plus $20ish delivery).
Was released and recalled in 2019 due to inconsistency in the blank and now they're okay.
IMG_20210908_225643_compress43.jpg
The rod weighs only 95gm! Has one extra ring guide than the Basspara, and has anti tangle K guides I believe it's called. And micro guides on the tip section.

General rule is that more guides is better. Micro guides make the line tight and close to the rod blank (supposedly good). Line hugging closer to the rod blank is good.
I put freams lt 2000 on it and it feels like the 190gm reel is too heavy for the 95gm rod.
The handle grip is designed for front grip (not center as I usually hold), so it's heavier towards the butt.
The EVA is nice, I can feel it's not a cheap EVA grip. The whole thing has that expensive toy feeling.
IMG20210908164255_compress49.jpg
This rod if different to most fast rods I have used. Most fast rods are stiff then have thin tip to bend first. This Levante however, has fast tip and bends around 2/3 of the rod. Different, but I like it! It solves my problem for wanting a fast rod but not too stiff (I know it's kind of contradictory).

The aluminum piece at the tip of the hand grip supposedly where the index finger should be. They did a research and steel is the best to transfer vibration. It's probably true, I will certainly give it a try.

Can't wait to try this rod. Hopefully the restrictions will be eased soon and we all can fish freely, rather than writing and reading this kinda post. Writing rod reviews after using and catching be a lot more fun and better.

PS: might sell the 2018 Freams LT 2000 and buy the new 2021 Caldia MQ 2000 to pair with the Levante.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Re: My UL spin rods: New Megabass Levante, 2018 Daiwa Infeet and 2018 Majorcraft Basspara

Post by Seniorfisho » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:12 pm

Thank's for that write up Seb. It seems that the really light UL rods would be hard to match a reel to, especially if they were too whippy. I like the infeet from your wright up and was thinking of getting one so now I will. So many rods to choose from, there is some good stuff from the USA also but I like to hold a rod before I buy one, it's a bit risky online because you can't feel the rod. I have scaled down my rod and reel selection these days as my rods cop a bit of a bashing in the places I fish as well as the kayak. Thank's again and look forward to catching up for paddle right in prime time after lockdown

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: My UL spin rods: New Megabass Levante, 2018 Daiwa Infeet and 2018 Majorcraft Basspara

Post by Sebb » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:43 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:12 pm
Thank's for that write up Seb. It seems that the really light UL rods would be hard to match a reel to, especially if they were too whippy. I like the infeet from your wright up and was thinking of getting one so now I will. So many rods to choose from, there is some good stuff from the USA also but I like to hold a rod before I buy one, it's a bit risky online because you can't feel the rod. I have scaled down my rod and reel selection these days as my rods cop a bit of a bashing in the places I fish as well as the kayak. Thank's again and look forward to catching up for paddle right in prime time after lockdown
Yup. When the restriction is eased, we can meet up for a fish and I'll bring the 2018 Infeet and Levante for you to try and play around with.
The new 2020 infeet has three models, I think the 2018 infeet is kinda equal to the middle model of the 2020 infeet.
I think infeet is definitely worth buying / having.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:25 am

Solid breakdown to the advantages of each rod, always great hearing experience with UL gear. Cheers
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”