a couple of days around reef island 9 - 10 feb

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

a couple of days around reef island 9 - 10 feb

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:37 am

I got to Reef Iland a bit later than Neil ( Madfishman off Vyak ) and headed straight over to the sth side - after paddling up behind Neil I asked how he was going and he almost jumped off the yak
See thats how kayaks can sneek up on fish

anyway I moved down further and was just set up nothing happening at that stage when a phone call said to come back the fish were going off
I headed back and it took a while I was parked up to neils left and no bites so a move to the right side got me a few KGWs and a nice gar also droped a few gars, No6 circles are not the go for garfish they dont hook up to well on them

anyway not long after neil headed off to go home I slide back to the weed line for a while got a couple more only 1 keeper there
and gave it away

5 good whiting to 39.5 cm and a good size gar

Had to ring the RACV again the car wouldn't start and I flattened the battery thats twice now at the same spot , total care is a great idea

After fishing with neil for whiting on saturday I had planed on a gummy hunt on the sunday but the tides and wind sort of put me off so RI looked good again
there were already a few kayaks on the water there were a few Vyak guys heading that way for the sunday

anyway there is a nice little touch at the end of Bluff rd thats new ( Parks must have noticed that there are a few kayakers getting down there these days - check out

the plastic slides on the rails have been there a while but Parks have put up some signs

by the time I hit the water the wind had got up a bit my guess 10 kts or better so the sth side was looking out I headed out close to RI on the Lee side sat in 2.5 meters burleyed up and soaked some baits for nothing not a bite
the wind seamed to back off so uped anchor and headed out around the point of RI, bad plan - white caps every where - about face and head back to the north side and back to the weed line

after a few moves found some fish 6 good whiting to 37 cm another large gar a 34 cm pinky and a LJ

so a good mixed bag in all and after a slow start that was a welcome finish

I pulled the pin the same time as few of the Vyak crew

Greg ( BKA ) below

Alan ( nuyaka I think )

and David ( spudnik )

it was both Alans and Davids first trip into Westernport and I dout it will be there last - It was an eye opener the amount of different species that can be got in the same place, much different than fishing PPB

so thats my W/E out and around Reef Island again with good company both days and a good feed of fish
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Longshot

Re: a couple of days around reef island 9 - 10 feb

Post by Longshot » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:20 pm

Great Post again, The whiting are seeming to be a bit Elusive!

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:11 pm

Longshot wrote:Great Post again, The whiting are seeming to be a bit Elusive!
yes they are a bit - However Neil got 15 I think on sat

I found that although few in numbers they were all good fish 11 over the W/E smallest at 32 cm to 39.5 cm

tides are looking good for a gummy hunt this W/E hope someone up high keeps the fan on slow speed
it would be nice to get out with out all the wind of late
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:30 pm

Great report again Cheater and nice mixed bag of fish.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”