lots of little gummies 3/2/13

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

lots of little gummies 3/2/13

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:25 am

Both Steve ( RedYak off Vyak )and myself launched at Granville this morning around 7 am and headed down to Tenby Point a short 4 km paddle on some very flat water. We got to Tenby then met up with FishoPhil and Geoff (grt1 off vyak ) near the old pier , we parked up and baits went down
I didn't take to long to have some action there were lots of gummies to be had but all under size
there was a dolphin quite close to us for quite some time doing whatever dolphins do

Any way the bites slow and we all moved further along tenby channel bit by bit and more small gummies where getting caught
I also got a couple of banjos I think the others may have got them to
while heading along tenby channel the dolphin came over to play , first by scaring the sh!t out of me when out of nowhere it broke the surface about a meter from my yak right beside me ( you dont need to see a big black thing with a fin just break the surface beside you )
Then it kept swiming under the front of the yak and surfacing turning and swiming under the front of the yak the oppisite direction it did this quite a few times as I padlled along

Geoff headed off early so he could get out with the water droping and the rest of us moved all the way to the mouth of tenby channel by about low tide
we fished here for a while but not much was happening

i left steve and phil at this spot moving about 3 and bit Km sth to guys channel to try my luck there - apart from loosing a few baits to pickers
I landed another little gummy and a flathead keeper my second I got one back in tenby channel as well

the wind had finaly got up as had the white caps So I made my way back to Tenby Point across some shallow banks met back up with Phil and steve
fished there for a while for a toad or 2 and it was time to head back

the trip back to Granville got a bit bumpy I'm guessing the wind was about 15 kts but at least it was a tail wind , running the kayak at 45 deg to the waves
got interesting at times with the deck getting washed out a couple of times with waves coming over the side

I dont know how many the other guys got but I had 8 gummies all under size and sent back to grow both steve and phill would have had much the same
dont know how geoff went

still an entertaining day on the water and got a nice 20 + km paddle on Westernport
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

fishophil

Re: lots of little gummies 3/2/13

Post by fishophil » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:53 am

It was good to try a new spot, pity there was only small gummys about, I also got a cute little baby school shark, a few small flatties, small salmon, a big toadfish, and 2 eagle rays which were good fun, especially on the whiting rod! :lol:
The wind picked up in the afternoon with whitecaps around us, which it was forecasted for, but the kingy had no problems apart from the occasion wet deck.
5 days more work, then back out on the water again! :a_goodjob:
I will put some pics up tonight.
The walk up the track at Tenby dragging the yak back to the car after a long days paddling was fun too! wacko
Hi ho, hi ho, its off to fish we go!

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:18 am

Good stuff guys. at least you had some fun. And managed to catch afew gumbos although they were small. Better than nothing I say. Cheers.
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Linc

Post by Linc » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:48 am

Great to hear there are plenty of little gummies around so they can grow nice and fat in the next few years!

Sounds like a great day on the water, nothing like a bit of an adventure on the paddle back in.

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:52 pm

Well done guys, a good session by the sound of it. Yes, a pity no gummy keepers to take home. It seems they are around in healthy numbers even if small for now.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:55 pm

nhillboy wrote:Well done guys, a good session by the sound of it. Yes, a pity no gummy keepers to take home. It seems they are around in healthy numbers even if small for now.
still good fun the small fish maybe a bit over 2 ft but put up a good show for small fish

and you are right with a lot of small fish around just shows the fishery is fairly healthy
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:35 pm

Excellent report I'm sure next time there will be a few size gummies. Great stuff :thumbsup:

Cheers Steve
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

fishophil

Post by fishophil » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Some pics!

The old jetty at Tenby Point

A great morning on the water

The typical size of the gummys all day we were catching...

Meet my little friend....
A baby school shark... it had teeth! Arhhh!!

Geoff (grt1)

A Toadie festing on a whole banana prawn.... that was meant to be for a gummy ya bugger!

The gummy rod loaded up with a eagle ray..

Eddie the eagle ray.

Back in the shallows again at the end of the day near the pier again before heading back to shore...
Thats Cheater in the background in the yellow yak... I think he is sleeping! :lol:
Hi ho, hi ho, its off to fish we go!

Return to “Kayak Fishing”