any kayak anchor recommendations?

Hatetangles
Has liked: 72 times

any kayak anchor recommendations?

Post by Hatetangles » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:48 pm

Hey everyone,

Ive decided i need to get an anchor set up for my compass kayak and i was hoping to get some recommendations, or get some of the pros and cons of what's on the market. From my research i have found there is 2 x variations , 1 is the Hobie brand which has the pulley system running the entire length of the kayak, and the other is another brand with the pulley system only running half the length of the kayak from the centre to the rear.

from my few outings thus far , i think i should be going with the full kayak length pulley system? because if its an incoming tide i want to anchor at the front of the kayak,so i'm facing the incoming tide yeah ? or is it safe enough to anchor at the back on an incoming tide?....i always have that rule in the back of my head from when i used to go to the beach of never turn your back on the sea, and i imagine that would be still the case if anchoring in a beach setting like PPH or WPB, il probably go with the 1.5kg grapnel anchor , unless convinced otherwise. Im not even 100% sure i need a pulley system ?ive seen a popular youtuber use rope wound around some type of kite handle thing,but not entirley sure what thats all about?and then the other set up with the carbiner for quick release with float attached to the main anchor line,

any recommendations please? would be much appreciated as always, thanks

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Re: any kayak anchor recommendations?

Post by Sebb » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:38 am

Definitely anchor trolley pulley system thing. Helps a lot.

I'm with you, I like my anchor at the front, so I am facing the current/ waves, etc. just gotta pay attention where to cast, so wont tangle with the anchor rope.
Never anchor on the side of the kayak.

Cheap DIY i did was a 2kg gym kettle weight and telstra rope. Now I have the proper anchor with chain, and diving rope and float.

I also had anchor chute, helped to slow down the drift during windy days. But I always ended up with the chain anchor. Wouldn't go out during super windy day anyway.
Attachments
youdoodle-2020-11-02T20-45-46Z.jpg
youdoodle-2019-10-09T15-59-39Z.jpg
youdoodle-2019-10-09T16-15-42Z.jpg
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:23 pm

Hi Tangles, this is a cut and paste of a previous post of mine regarding anchor trolleys, it might not suit everyone but has served me well. I use the full length Hobie anchor trolley, had it for 8 years and the ropes and fittings are still in good condition.

Using an anchor trolley properly can make anchoring much safer, particularly when it gets choppy or when tidal flow is present. I have a full length anchor trolley, with a cam cleat next to my seat. For the anchor line I use some 4mm? Rope that came on a dive reel, with a float attached to the reel. Once I have the anchor down and enough line out, I pull some slack of the anchor line to form a loop, then feed it through one of the anchor trolley rings (usually the further back ring). Slip that loop of line into the cam cleat locking the line in place, then feed the anchor trolley ring back toward the rear of the kayak. This anchors the kayak from the rear, and gives the ability to drop anchor almost instantly by flicking the loop of rope up out of the cleat, the loop then pulls itself through the anchor trolley ring, now the kayak is free of the anchor. When disconnected from the anchor I let the dive reel free spool (or you can wind out more line if using a hand line style spool), let more line out while I turn the kayak around, then pedal toward the anchor while reeling in the slack line. I feel this is a safe way to anchor, as when the anchor line is tied off to a point closer to the seat without a trolley, the kayak is likely to end up side-on to chop or tide, greatly increasing the chance of going for an unplanned swim. Having the ability to quickly disconnect from the anchor, then retrieve it later can be advantageous when needing to suddenly move quickly. This could be to give chase to a good fish around reefy areas, get out of the path of a drifting boat or to render immediate assistance to someone spotted in the water.
Sorry for the essay, but if it can make someone’s life easier or safer I am happy to write it.

Hatetangles

Post by Hatetangles » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:54 pm

Thanks Sebb & Tim for the sound advice, really appreciate it !

I've decided to go with the full length pulley system, and the anchor to chain / line with the float and carbiner to clip onto the pulley system.
I'm keen to get it done now,i really want go for some KGW and pinkies/snappers not too far from shore..Ive got plenty of squid on my last 2 outings so its time to chase some fish !

On another note I've figured out a better way to get my wheel cart back in after a session now which was a major pain point until now, ive got a towel which i put in my hull, and when i come back in i lay it out on the sand, and then take my gear off the kayak and put it on the towel, then turn the kayak on its side and put the wheel cart in , and then reload my gear off the towel, not really an innovative idea but much better then me doing 3 trips to the car and back thats for sure, i bumped into a fellow kayaker last week and he suggested i put all my gear/pedal drive under the bungee storage sections so the very front and rear of the kayak and then flip my kayak on its side and put the wheel cart in,i didnt even think of that!!!, il give that a crack on my next outing ,still reckon id need to lay my rods down, or maybe i could lean them against the kayak?we'l see..

Hatetangles

Post by Hatetangles » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:59 pm

Just found this online at catch,lot cheaper than AWS/SLH at only $30, that should do the job ?, https://www.catch.com.au/product/1-5kg- ... d=77211286

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:13 pm

Hatetangles wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:59 pm
Just found this online at catch,lot cheaper than AWS/SLH at only $30, that should do the job ?, https://www.catch.com.au/product/1-5kg- ... d=77211286
That be okay fishing around weeds and rocky/broken bottom.
But this one is better. With chain. That chain helps to weigh down the anchor.

https://www.anacondastores.com/fishing/ ... oAQAvD_BwE

Without the chain and 1.5kg, it can be too light, especially smooth sandy bottom. You're actually gonna drag/pull the anchor.
If you don't like chain, just buy bell weight from kmart or Salvo OP Shop, and telstra rope. If you're still pulling/dragging 2-3kg weight, probably too windy or too steong current to fish on kayak. Go home. :rf:

Hatetangles

Post by Hatetangles » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:19 pm

Sebb wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:13 pm
Hatetangles wrote:

Without the chain and 1.5kg, it can be too light, especially smooth sandy bottom. You're actually gonna drag/pull the anchor.
If you don't like chain, just buy bell weight from kmart or Salvo OP Shop, and telstra rope. If you're still pulling/dragging 2-3kg weight, probably too windy or too steong current to fish on kayak. Go home. :rf:
yeah ok chain makes sense, pretty sure Nev from Nevs fishing uses this type : https://www.catch.com.au/product/kayak- ... d=25694222 , for low wind which is when i'l be out , this looks like it would work as well..

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:50 pm

Hatetangles wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:19 pm
Sebb wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:13 pm
Hatetangles wrote:

yeah ok chain makes sense, pretty sure Nev from Nevs fishing uses this type : https://www.catch.com.au/product/kayak- ... d=25694222 , for low wind which is when i'l be out , this looks like it would work as well..
I use something similar, but using thks dive reel.
Attachments
IMG_20231115_225002.jpg

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:46 am

Good advice here so far, defintely worth the full length anchor trolley from my experience so far!

I've been putting together something similar to this to support anchoring in 1-5m over sandy / eel grass beds.
I'm running a 1kg /2.2lb Cooper Nylon anchor shackled to 1m of stainless steel chain, with 20m of 4mm coordiage on a dive reel for storage.
Then from the dive reel some rope with a float attached and then a carabiner to an eyelet. Quick enough release and the float for recovery.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:38 pm

Also worth mentioning (you may already know this), is to connect the end of the chain to the head of your anchor via a shackle, then clip the chain to the top of the stem with a small cable tie. The cable tie should be strong enough to not snap when at anchor in current or wind, but weak enough that you can snap the cable tie with a good yank without falling out of the kayak. This is so if the anchor gets hooked under reef, rope, etc. you can tug on the anchor line, snapping the cable then peddle back around behind the anchor pulling the anchor from the opposite direction. This usually gets the anchor out from whatever it is stuck in or under. Put on a new cable tie and you are ready to anchor again.
IMG_2023-11-16-183810.png

Return to “Kayak Fishing”