First Kayak: Hobie Compass, looking for recommended accessories

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

First Kayak: Hobie Compass, looking for recommended accessories

Post by Andrews » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:36 pm

Hey everyone,

As the title suggests I'm looking at picking up a Hobie Compass in the next few months, which will be my first proper fishing kayak.

In support of this, I'd love to hear what items, extras, etc you guys recommend are must haves or quality of life additions to the yak experience.

Cheers,

Andrew
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Re: First Kayak: Hobie Compass, looking for recommended accessories

Post by Sebb » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:44 pm

Andrews wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:36 pm
Hey everyone,

As the title suggests I'm looking at picking up a Hobie Compass in the next few months, which will be my first proper fishing kayak.

In support of this, I'd love to hear what items, extras, etc you guys recommend are must haves or quality of life additions to the yak experience.

Cheers,

Andrew
Get the one with 180° drive.
Hatch storage upgrade is good but not essential. Depends if you want extra storage or not.
And the usual sounder transducer, rod holders. FVP battery for the sounder.
If you're fishing low wind and drafting, no need anchor. Otherwise, get one.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:39 pm

Assuming you are going to be using it on the bay I would definitely get a flag of some sort for visibility and if you are planning to fish around sunrise/sunset out there an all round white light as well.

For storage based accesories the berley pro sidebros are well worth getting for a compass, creates a super handy area for storing pliers, scissors, a pack of plastics or lures you've just taken off thats out of the way for fishing but still super accessible when you need them. I would also recomend upgrading to the rectangle hatch again for storage thats easy to get to. A crate of some descript for behind the seat is another good item to have, a standard milk crate with some rod holders strapped to it is the cheapest way and has got the job done for me but hobie has crates you can buy if you want to as well.

Apart from that its general things that come down to whether or not you are going to use them. Anchor, anchor trolley, drift chute, sounder etc.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Hatetangles
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Hatetangles » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:19 pm

Andrews wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:36 pm
Hey everyone,

Cheers,

Andrew
Hey Andrew, I'm in the same boat/getting the same kayak LOL, and have been wondering what i need also....the accessories can cost a fortune when you add them all up! so far i'm thinking of going with:
- rectangular hatch upgrade, with rectangular bucket. approx $280
- load assist thing so i can lift the yak off and onto my car without damaging the rudder, approx $50
- berley raised rudder handle, approx $150
- the heavy duty sand wheels roughly $280
- H crate , about $300
- 180 KU fins with reverse

Im still undecided whether or not to buy a sounder...ive never used one before so i might start without one.
I may also ditch the H crate and raised rudder handle also,
Im also thinking to leave out the anchor kit as well for now, and just try drift / fish an hour or so of high tide and then gauge if its absolute necessary,
guess i can always paddle in reverse against the current lol.

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Kestrel » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:26 pm

All of the above
Plus… seat risers will allow more storage space under the seat and make pushing the paddles a bit easier

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:03 am

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies and advice so far, genuinely appreciate the recommendations.

The plan is for a roof-top kayak to punch out off Clifton Springs 2-5m depth, chasing calamari, king George, flathead, etc.

I feel that spending a little more on extras and investing in items that'll improve the quality of life, longevity, protect the kayak and improve safety are key.

The Hobie Mirage Compass kayak;
- I'll be looking to go the second hand route, newer model in either papaya or seagrass for greatest visibility.
- Looking at the 180KU model.
- I'll probs do this through AWS and see if they can hook me up with a deal for the kayak, extra and installs.

Upgrades:
- Rectangle Hatch
- Rectangle gear bucket
- BerleyPro Sidebros
- BerleyPro BumperBro Keel Guard
- Hobie Sidekick Ama Kit
- High visibility flag
- Track mounted rod holder
- Anchor
-Coiled Leashes
- Decent esky

- Drift chute ( will decide once I get experience fishing the tides and determine if necessary).
- Sounder ( Won't be needing for what I'm looking to do)

It's a tough one isn't Hatetangles!
All these options but it's definitely worth working through!

Again, genuinely do appreciate everyones experiences and advice!
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:13 pm

Andrews wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:03 am
Thanks everyone for the prompt replies and advice so far, genuinely appreciate the recommendations.

The plan is for a roof-top kayak to punch out off Clifton Springs 2-5m depth, chasing calamari, king George, flathead, etc.

I feel that spending a little more on extras and investing in items that'll improve the quality of life, longevity, protect the kayak and improve safety are key.

- I'll be looking to go the second hand route, newer model in either papaya or seagrass for greatest visibility.
- I'll probs do this through AWS and see if they can hook me up with a deal for the kayak, extra and installs.

Upgrades:
- Rectangle Hatch
- Rectangle gear bucket
- BerleyPro Sidebros
- Hobie Sidekick Ama Kit
- High visibility flag
- Anchor
-Coiled Leashes
- Decent esky

- Drift chute ( will decide once I get experience fishing the tides and determine if necessary).

I've fished Clifton Springs on kayak few times. Sounder isn't essential there for squid and kgw, as you can see where the weeds and the sand holes are. But good to have.

I have drift chute and anchor trolley, rarely use them in PPB, as not much current and I don't go out when its super windy anyway. Drifting during low wind is good.
When I bait fish, or when its a bit windy, I use anchor and with the anchor trolley.

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:05 pm

Sebb wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:13 pm
Andrews wrote:

Upgrades:
- Rectangle Hatch
- Rectangle gear bucket
- BerleyPro Sidebros
- Hobie Sidekick Ama Kit
- High visibility flag
- Anchor
-Coiled Leashes
- Decent esky

I've fished Clifton Springs on kayak few times. Sounder isn't essential there for squid and kgw, as you can see where the weeds and the sand holes are. But good to have.

I have drift chute and anchor trolley, rarely use them in PPB, as not much current and I don't go out when its super windy anyway. Drifting during low wind is good.
When I bait fish, or when its a bit windy, I use anchor and with the anchor trolley.
Yeah, that's my thinking too. There is always the option to pick up a sounder later down the track.

Realistically I don't feel that I'd needing a drift chute, however the anchor is a good investment if I'm keen to anchor up for some kgw / flatties on bait. Still working through plenty of youtube vids etc to see what other people are using.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:57 pm

Andrews wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:05 pm
Sebb wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:13 pm
Andrews wrote:

Upgrades:
- Rectangle Hatch
- Rectangle gear bucket
- BerleyPro Sidebros
- Hobie Sidekick Ama Kit
- High visibility flag
- Anchor
-Coiled Leashes
- Decent esky

Yeah, that's my thinking too. There is always the option to pick up a sounder later down the track.

Realistically I don't feel that I'd needing a drift chute, however the anchor is a good investment if I'm keen to anchor up for some kgw / flatties on bait. Still working through plenty of youtube vids etc to see what other people are using.
Researching and customizing the kayak is part of the fun. You'll find that you need to change/add things as you go more often. What's working and not.
When you go out the first time, make sure you keep it simple. It's a lot more going on than landbased. Not just a flick and forget.

There's wind, swells, foot pedal drive thing, paddles, etc.
Choose super low wind and/or offshore wind. Go out with others with kayak and stay close.

Been a while since I fished there. When you're ready, post here. If I'm able to go out, I'd go with you.

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:42 pm

You're spot on there, the plan will be to research up, look for a second hand model and knock it out ready for the warmer weather.
Aiming to pack light and learn from there, keep tp the shallows.

I'll be sure to do an update post when the ball starts rolling.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”