Winter water entry/launch - methods and footwear

Bear123
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Winter water entry/launch - methods and footwear

Post by Bear123 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:07 pm

Great thread - as this will be my first winter kayak fishing (hopefully... p*ss off COVID) I have purchased some Shark Skin socks cheap, and also got some waterproof pants (with socks) and I think i'll try some dive boots or crocs over the top. Interested to see what everyone else does.

magpie_mick
Has liked: 21 times

Post by magpie_mick » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:19 pm

I have a pair of waterproof knee high socks that i can put some warm socks underneath as found that just the waterproof socks your feet get cold. Then have an old pair of merrell waterproof sandals. Good drainage and protect your feet well.

I also have a pair of cycling waterproof pants over the top that I have thermals underneath in winter.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:02 pm

magpie_mick wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:19 pm
I have a pair of waterproof knee high socks that i can put some warm socks underneath as found that just the waterproof socks your feet get cold. Then have an old pair of merrell waterproof sandals. Good drainage and protect your feet well.

I also have a pair of cycling waterproof pants over the top that I have thermals underneath in winter.
What is this waterproof socks?? Didn't know such thing exist.
Any name brand or links?
I'm intrigued.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:55 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:10 am
Brett wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:04 am
https://slhobie.com.au/gear/kayak-acces ... hing-pants

Pair of shoes of your liking 2 sizes larger than you usually wear over the top.
Cheers Brett, is this what you use? If so what style of shoes do you find best, imagine something basically fabric based with minimal padding (so they don't hold as much water)?
On fishing kayak I wear dry pants with thick socks, I use the $5 thick bedsocks available in most gifts shops, way warmer than explorers etc then pair of cheap runners 1-2 sizes bigger than normal. With this arrangement I can sit all day with legs hanging over side in the water even in the middle of winter. feet stay dry.

On my surf ski and river boat I use a pair of sharkskin socks with cheap water shoes from Rivers, less bulky than neoprene booties

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:58 pm

Brett wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:04 am
https://slhobie.com.au/gear/kayak-acces ... hing-pants

Pair of shoes of your liking 2 sizes larger than you usually wear over the top.
Can reaffirm these SL kayak pants I use neoprene boat shoes over the top.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:24 pm

Thanks for the insight everyone - some good things to think about

Those SL Hobie pants are looking like the best option all round, but those socks are way more budget friendly for right now, so the hobie pants may be a "save for next winter" purchase.

Does anyone have any bad experiences or considerations in choosing waterproof socks?

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:26 pm

bowl wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:41 am
Screenshot_2020-07-01-11-39-45.jpg I use.
Cheers bowl - what are the cons you have found with these, particularly after they have been fully submerged in cold weather?

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:31 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:01 am
Hey all - curious on peoples approach to launching their kayak in situations where you have to enter the water and how you manage your feet (winter specific).
Ok I have used wet suits Lovig dry pants and neoprene waders - I now use a set of neoprene kayak dry pants ( I had some waders custom made with a sealing band around the top ) under these I wear thermals and only thin socks to soak up sweat over this I wear dive booties - my feet dont just go in the water on launch but a lot of the time are in the water as I sit on my fishing ski like a surfer sits on there surf board and of cause I sit in a bucket of water with the seat on the stealth below the water line , just as the foot wells also fill with water unless Im moving - I have also upgraded my paddling jacket to keep my thermal top dry - that was tested recently by doing wet exits from my sea kayak - 5 times completely upside down under my kayak and then a quick 10 km paddle to warm back up my clothing under the jacket was dry apart from some sweat

your smart move is to invest in some kayak dry pants and thermal gear, keeping your warm layers dry is the trick
over the dry pants ether dive booties or some kind of shoe to protect the dry pants

something else to keep in mind with the water temps being what they are over winter , without the right clothing you have 10 min in the water before the cooling will stop a lot of your muscle movement -
so if getting in your kayak and are worrying about your feet you are not dressing for immersion
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

McDuff

Post by McDuff » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:32 pm

I got mine from ebay - worn them 3 times in the last 2 weeks, they're unbelievable - I was very very sceptical about them but I vouch for these. They were the lowest cost/reasonably made, available qucikly from an Aussie seller that I could find.

These are the ones I got :
DexShell Waterproof Overcalf Sock
SKU: Size: Large
Total: AU $44.95
Seller: dairyessentials(152)

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:41 pm

Hey cheater, a quick 10km row would warm me up initially, but, you cool done when dead
Get a bit tired driving 10km
Gra

Return to “Kayak Fishing”