Winter water entry/launch - methods and footwear

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Winter water entry/launch - methods and footwear

Post by laneends » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:37 am

Just be aware with these dry pants that eventually the velcro tabs will fail. Using this type of fastening system to attach a rigid tab to a stretch waist material means the sheer forces do not spread evenly across the whole joint face. So you get a gradual peeling failure, the hooks rip apart. Been through three pairs of these kokotats and SLH. Got around the problem by rigging up an elastic strap connecting the 2 ends of the tabs together. This substantially reduces the tendency to peel apart and provides back up to prevent total failure in worst case scenario which could leave you effectively with a drift chute around your legs whilst trying to remount.

I think the waterproof socks are more to retain warmth when wet rather than preventing total water ingress when fully submerged.

McDuff

Post by McDuff » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:54 am

with the socks i bought (above) ; they're 100% waterproof - no water gets in . They go up to above my knee if i pull them up and they have a fairly good seal at the top to stop water ingress. Ive stood for 5-10 mins in the sea in them - dry as a bone inside.

I bought them over dry pants for safety - i wanted water kept out, not a pair of pants full of water if i fell in :)

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:57 pm

laneends wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:37 am
Just be aware with these dry pants that eventually the velcro tabs will fail. Using this type of fastening system to attach a rigid tab to a stretch waist material means the sheer forces do not spread evenly across the whole joint face. So you get a gradual peeling failure, the hooks rip apart. Been through three pairs of these kokotats and SLH. Got around the problem by rigging up an elastic strap connecting the 2 ends of the tabs together. This substantially reduces the tendency to peel apart and provides back up to prevent total failure in worst case scenario which could leave you effectively with a drift chute around your legs whilst trying to remount.

I think the waterproof socks are more to retain warmth when wet rather than preventing total water ingress when fully submerged.
What's your experience with the two brands mentioned as far as experience, durability and "how many velcro rips (or trips)" they generally hold up to? Bit of a price difference between the two - are the kokotats worth the extra cost for what you get vs the SLH?

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:01 pm

I only had the version 1 of SLH, they were much heavier material than the kokotats. Newer versions may be lighter. They were similar in quality and durability as essentially the issue was the same with the tabs. I used to go out maybe three times a week tab adhesion probably started to be unreliable after 6 moths or so, with total failure around 12 months. Since attaching the two end tabs together with elastic straps they become more snug and 100% secure. I reckon some elastic webbing with snap clips, or similar, should have been part of the original design. Has to be elastic not rigid, or the strain will split the side seams (as I found out on my first attempt)

As much as anything they are good for keeping the stink of fish guts and bait off whatever else you would choose to wear. Thats one of the downsides of using other alternatives for fishing

If you paddle a lot you do tend to sweat in them, you dont feel it or overheat but you do end up with wet legs and feet, but not cold as long as you have warm socks etc.

Look for something this or $5 for local gift store
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (17.67 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
While you are at it grab one of these for $5 also at gift shops
balaclava

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:11 pm

laneends wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:01 pm
I only had the version 1 of SLH, they were much heavier material than the kokotats. Newer versions may be lighter.
Mal ( Winchbitch ) just upgraded from his old leaky Kokotats to the V2 Lovigs - the material seams to be more flexible and so far have remained leak proof - they seam better than the V1 lovigs where mine always leaked

probably not a problem on a dryer ride

must say I've thought about grabbing a set of V2 myself SLH has them for about $150 atm

must say Keith so far loving the Kokotat Tempest paddle jacket even stays dry inside upside in the water under the kayak
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:29 pm

I,ve worn shoes with drain holes in soles and side vents, they are called reef walkers by Land And Sea Sports @$40.
Absolutely ideal for launching, can never understand why blokes do it all with bare feet on slippery rough ramps.
Water too cold at the moment but the thought occurred that if you got the waterproof sox mentioned and got reef walkers a
Size or two larger to fit over them, it would solve two problems for you.
Reef walkers make ideal deck shoes as well.
Good luck
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

janny11
Has liked: 9 times

Post by janny11 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:21 pm

I just saw this article about Timberland shoes. They are supposed to be waterproof. I have a high arch/instep, and the boots visibly bulge a bit at the middle-top of my foot, but that’s to be expected and these have a bit more room afforded on top than other boots. Toe space seems a little larger than standard but once they’re strapped to your ankle this doesn’t matter so much.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”