Ready to take the plunge into yak fishing

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Re: Ready to take the plunge into yak fishing

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:44 am

Damn mate - congrats!

Can depend on what you want out of a life jacket, type of fishing you are going to do and risk associated with where you go- the watersnake style neck ones (manual pull to inflate) take up little space when wearing, (I think) are Type 1's so are better buoyancy (face down correction) but require maintenance to a make sure they will work when you need it.

The (kayak designed) foam jacket types are bit bulkier, are mostly Type 2's (don't correct face down floating) but often have extra jacket storage and require no maintenance.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:51 am

Don’t get an inflatable one imo

There’s a good summary of why not on the kayak fishing unboxed YouTube channel.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bear123
Has liked: 39 times

Post by Bear123 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:10 am

Thanks - great video and great channel!!
4liters wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:51 am
Don’t get an inflatable one imo

There’s a good summary of why not on the kayak fishing unboxed YouTube channel.

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:21 pm

Bear123 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:16 am
It’s done! I am now the proud owner of a Hobie PA14 and off-road trailer - a bloody great price ($4k)!!!!
Now I just need some clothing etc and hopefully I’ll be out there soon!!
In regards to PFDs - I was just going to get a manual inflation one from Anaconda/BCF - anything wrong with that? Or do I have to get a special fishing one?
Thanks again for all the advice
I would take the old school fishing PFD, no question.
The main problem with inflatables is that once they inflate, it is close to impossible to swim and reboard a kayak with them on because of how incredibly cumbersome they are.
Inflatables are also notorious for being dysfunctional. I've seen countless youtube videos of dudes with inflatables that fail to inflate even though only being a year old.
You also have to get them serviced, which I don't think you're allowed to do yourself anymore, plus buying spare canisters etc etc.
Also, if you get knocked unconscious, a manually inflatable PFD will do nothing to save you.
Fishing PFDs are wildly better, mainly because if you fall in the drink, you'll float regardless. They also have useful storage pockets for tools like pliers etc.
They are a bit more expensive but i'd rather pay more and have something that will reliably keep me alive.

PS. Congrats on the purchase on the hobie, you're in for a lot of fun :tu:

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:23 pm

Bear123 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:16 am
In regards to PFDs - I was just going to get a manual inflation one from Anaconda/BCF - anything wrong with that? Or do I have to get a special fishing one?
All my PFDs are manual inflateable versions. Once you put them on you never know you are wearing them. Just remember to service them once a year and you are good to go. All servicing involves is checking the gas cylinder for corosion and check the weight to make sure it hasnt leaked. And inflate the lifejacket via the mouth tube and make sure it stays inflated for 24hrs. Very simple stuff.

Anyway congrats on the purchase, it sounds like you will have many hours of fun out there. Just remember the main aim of the game is to return home safe. Catching fish is always just a bonus.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:14 pm

Congrats bear, although they are a lump when on land, I really enjoy fishing out of my PA. The ability to stand and take a leak without pissing on yourself is a real treat.

Re pfd’s, I use the foam type as well. I don’t really notice mine, probably like you don’t notice wearing a seatbelt. Good luck on the maiden voyage!

Bear123
Has liked: 39 times

Post by Bear123 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:40 am

I may have to invest in a She-wee or dehydrate myself LOL ;-) :P
I've gone with a foam PFD... I did have an inflatable one but funny how I never thought about getting back into the yak etc!!
Tim399 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:14 pm
Congrats bear, although they are a lump when on land, I really enjoy fishing out of my PA. The ability to stand and take a leak without pissing on yourself is a real treat.

Re pfd’s, I use the foam type as well. I don’t really notice mine, probably like you don’t notice wearing a seatbelt. Good luck on the maiden voyage!

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:12 am

Bear123 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:40 am
I've gone with a foam PFD... I did have an inflatable one but funny how I never thought about getting back into the yak etc!!
With my kayak, I just get on my knees and lift the propeler. And there's the water hole to do the number one. Never tried number two though and probably will never try :rf:

Try to pick the best (safest) weather possible on your first try and with someone who is experienced. Practice re-entry too. Water is a bit cold but we never know when we might need to do the actual critical re-entry.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:38 pm

Sebb wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:12 am
Bear123 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:40 am
With my kayak, I just get on my knees and lift the propeler. And there's the water hole to do the number one. Never tried number two though and probably will never try :rf:

Try to pick the best (safest) weather possible on your first try and with someone who is experienced. Practice re-entry too. Water is a bit cold but we never know when we might need to do the actual critical re-entry.
I read the first sentence of the second paragraph thinking you were still talking about pissing from the yak :rf:

Haven’t had to utilise the bog hole yet, but I hope that when I do, it isn’t a floater!

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:43 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:38 pm
Sebb wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:12 am

I read the first sentence of the second paragraph thinking you were still talking about pissing from the yak :rf:

Haven’t had to utilise the bog hole yet, but I hope that when I do, it isn’t a floater!
Hahahah :rf:
Now that I read that again with what you said, funny as.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Kayak Fishing”