Ready to take the plunge into yak fishing

Bear123
Has liked: 39 times

Ready to take the plunge into yak fishing

Post by Bear123 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:30 am

Hey - I'm almost ready to take the next step to buying a fishing kayak and getting out onto the water.
I have a couple of questions if anyone is willing to help with.
I will hopefully be looking at fishing PPB, rivers and down mornington etc. I have never had a boat or kayak for fishing and mainly land base fished (particurlarly in Qld). I'm no doubt going to be looking for a second hand yak (or a barely used one) and looking at $2200 tops

- Is a sounder needed?
- There are so many different brands of kayaks out there - I'm more tempted to spend the extra money on a Hobie. Am I just falling victim to name brands?
- how old is too old for a second hand yak?
- Unfortunately none of my friends have a kayak, and I don't really want to be going fishing alone, are there any clubs out there, particularly as I'm a beginner and never had boating experience (for rules etc)
- I'm leaning towards a pedal kayak, not sure why, I think it's just because that's what I've seen most people using. Any reasons for/against?
- Other than a fishing licence are there any other requirements before I actually go out?

I'm sure I have heaps more questions but I think they are the main ones.

Thank you for any advice
:nw: :tu: :wt:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Ready to take the plunge into yak fishing

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:04 pm

- Is a sounder needed? In theory? No. In practice? Yes, it makes a huge difference and the sounder not working is usually enough for me to pack up and go home.

- There are so many different brands of kayaks out there - I'm more tempted to spend the extra money on a Hobie. Am I just falling victim to name brands? You probably are although that isn't to say they aren't decent kayaks. I prefer the drive on my Native Watercraft Slayer. I'd suggest trying a few different kayaks out before you pull the trigger on one, it's a lot of money to spend only to find yourself unhappy with it. That said, most people have Hobies so if you're looking for a second hand yak those are what you are most likely to come across.

- how old is too old for a second hand yak? I wouldn't worry so much about age, have a good look over the hull for cracks (the scuppers are notorious spots for cracks due to the use of scupper wheels) and patches of wear (around the keel and rudder mostly). Some of the older Hobies may not be compatible with the newer versions of the Mirage Drive but that isn't something I'm super familiar with so it might pay to do a bit of research before you pull the trigger.

- Unfortunately none of my friends have a kayak, and I don't really want to be going fishing alone, are there any clubs out there, particularly as I'm a beginner and never had boating experience (for rules etc) Join Vyak: https://www.vyak.net/
It's got a pretty chill culture and the people are very helpful towards people new to the sport. You'll be able to find someone to go out with for your first few trips without any hassles.
There's also facebook groups, they can be a bit hit and miss though; I've seen some downright dangerous advice being offered on those places.

- I'm leaning towards a pedal kayak, not sure why, I think it's just because that's what I've seen most people using. Any reasons for/against?
The big advantage is that you can move around essentially hands free, so you can fish at the same time.
The cons are that the drives can be complex and it's another thing to break down on you. You may want to carry a few spare bits and pieces out on the water with you in case something breaks. Having a paddle in your hand gives you a bit of extra stability in crap weather because you can use it to brace the kayak.
Personally I have two kayaks to get the best of both worlds, a pedal yak (Native Watercraft Slayer 13) for inland and the bay, and a paddle yak (Stealth Fisha 500) for offshore. I don't 100% trust the drive of the pedal yak and I wouldn't want it to break on me miles offshore, whereas there's nothing too complex about a paddle so it's considerably more reliable in that situation. I mostly troll or drift offshore so there's no huge advantage in having pedals doing those things. However for pure fish-ability you can't beat pedals I think, so on the bays where I'm more likely to be trying to use squid jigs or plastics I much prefer to use the Slayer.

- Other than a fishing licence are there any other requirements before I actually go out? Safety gear! If you buy a second hand yak you'll probably already have a PFD. An EPIRB or PLB is not mandatory although it probably should be, being able to summon a rescue chopper to within 50m of your location has it's benefits compared to the alternative. Flares aren't super expensive, handheld VHF radios are good too. Have a way to keep your phone dry if you call in so you can call 000 if you have to. Make the rescue crews jobs easier by wearing something hi vis, I have no idea why there's camo pattern PFDs on the market.

Also:
Practice falling out and climbing back in your kayak.
Watch Mav's video series on YouTube - Kayak Fishing Unboxed: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChDLW8 ... g8Q9BDTgQw
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bear123

Post by Bear123 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:36 pm

Wow - thank you so much 4liters !!
Thats some really great advice and some great links.
I must admit I am one who tends to jump into things (a bit impatience) so I will definitely take that advise on and test some out first.
cheers
4liters wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:04 pm
- Is a sounder needed? In theory? No. In practice? Yes, it makes a huge difference and the sounder not working is usually enough for me to pack up and go home.

- There are so many different brands of kayaks out there - I'm more tempted to spend the extra money on a Hobie. Am I just falling victim to name brands? You probably are although that isn't to say they aren't decent kayaks. I prefer the drive on my Native Watercraft Slayer. I'd suggest trying a few different kayaks out before you pull the trigger on one, it's a lot of money to spend only to find yourself unhappy with it. That said, most people have Hobies so if you're looking for a second hand yak those are what you are most likely to come across.

- how old is too old for a second hand yak? I wouldn't worry so much about age, have a good look over the hull for cracks (the scuppers are notorious spots for cracks due to the use of scupper wheels) and patches of wear (around the keel and rudder mostly). Some of the older Hobies may not be compatible with the newer versions of the Mirage Drive but that isn't something I'm super familiar with so it might pay to do a bit of research before you pull the trigger.

- Unfortunately none of my friends have a kayak, and I don't really want to be going fishing alone, are there any clubs out there, particularly as I'm a beginner and never had boating experience (for rules etc) Join Vyak: https://www.vyak.net/
It's got a pretty chill culture and the people are very helpful towards people new to the sport. You'll be able to find someone to go out with for your first few trips without any hassles.
There's also facebook groups, they can be a bit hit and miss though; I've seen some downright dangerous advice being offered on those places.

The big advantage is that you can move around essentially hands free, so you can fish at the same time.
The cons are that the drives can be complex and it's another thing to break down on you. You may want to carry a few spare bits and pieces out on the water with you in case something breaks. Having a paddle in your hand gives you a bit of extra stability in crap weather because you can use it to brace the kayak.
Personally I have two kayaks to get the best of both worlds, a pedal yak (Native Watercraft Slayer 13) for inland and the bay, and a paddle yak (Stealth Fisha 500) for offshore. I don't 100% trust the drive of the pedal yak and I wouldn't want it to break on me miles offshore, whereas there's nothing too complex about a paddle so it's considerably more reliable in that situation. I mostly troll or drift offshore so there's no huge advantage in having pedals doing those things. However for pure fish-ability you can't beat pedals I think, so on the bays where I'm more likely to be trying to use squid jigs or plastics I much prefer to use the Slayer.

- Other than a fishing licence are there any other requirements before I actually go out? Safety gear! If you buy a second hand yak you'll probably already have a PFD. An EPIRB or PLB is not mandatory although it probably should be, being able to summon a rescue chopper to within 50m of your location has it's benefits compared to the alternative. Flares aren't super expensive, handheld VHF radios are good too. Have a way to keep your phone dry if you call in so you can call 000 if you have to. Make the rescue crews jobs easier by wearing something hi vis, I have no idea why there's camo pattern PFDs on the market.

Also:
Watch Mav's video series on YouTube - Kayak Fishing Unboxed: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChDLW8 ... g8Q9BDTgQw

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:13 pm

Spot on of what 4litres said.

There are few places that you can hire such as mornington boat hire. You don't have to go far to get a fish or squid. So you can have a feel.

How are you going to transport the kayak also to be considered. On the roof rack or trailer. Some of those kayaks are really heavy.

Consider safety as top priority.
Last edited by Sebb on Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Bear123

Post by Bear123 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:35 pm

Thanks Sebb.
Yes I'm thinking roof racks - I have been looking into the different systems to 'help' get them up there and will definitely take weight etc into account... I also have a smaller car (eep)

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:40 pm

4litres definitely knows his kayak stuff, as does seb.

As someone who recently bought a kayak (without testing it on water before buying) shorthand of how that process for choosing went.

- started by focusing down on the types of fishing I knew I was realistically going to do on it over a 3-5 year period (for me that was impoundments, rivers and safe condition bay fishing)
- did tons of (general) research on YouTube and forums to figure out all the key considerations for the intended fishing and price point balance to narrow down kayak options (like all the points raised here)
- once I had 2-3 options to buy, did more research on those specific models

Ended up buying a Native Watercraft Slayer 10 Propel and very happy so far

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:06 pm

Bear123 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:35 pm
Thanks Sebb.
Yes I'm thinking roof racks - I have been looking into the different systems to 'help' get them up there and will definitely take weight etc into account... I also have a smaller car (eep)
I put a 5m kayak on a Jazz if that gives you an idea of what i possible lol

For the heavier kayak I've just cut a length of steel pole so it fits over the roof racks on the side so I can prop the kayak on that to side load it without needing to rest it on the body of the car
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:20 pm

Bear123 wrote:
Thanks Sebb.
Depends how strong you are. Definitely consider the weight of the kayak to get it on and off the roof rack.
Plenty on YouTube on how to load the kayak onto a roof rack. Many diff methods too.
Doesn't hurt to check the kayak stores and try to lift them to feel the weight.
I have a small 2.0 ltr wagon car and able to put slayer10 (27kg) on the roof rack from the side, and I'm a small person. Just for comparison. Some people can dead lift 30kg straight to the roof rack.
Small and low car is easier ofc compared to a big SUV.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:03 pm

4liters wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:04 pm

I agree with 4litres and not to find fish so much but to find structure - trust me you are not going to paddle/pedal all over the bay looking for fish but you may need it to find reefy bits or channel drop offs and maybe to find bait balls that fish maybe around

it also depends on how you wont to fish - anchoring , drifting and even a lot of trolling do not need a pedal drive - even 4litres pulls out the paddle when he is going off shore leaving the pedal kayak and using a dedicated paddle fishing ski for the longer distance days
I'm just putting that out there as I don't use a pedal kayak and have never needed that option - almost all the pedal kayak options are to slow for my liking - most paddle options are going to be far better priced than a pedal boat

nothing much to add Ian is pretty much on the money here

as above Vyak is probably the best forum for kayak info in Victoria - first port of call is the safety section https://www.vyak.net/forum/viewforum.ph ... 70626ca203
guys will also post trips up that you could tag along with

Ian has nailed it again and you should look at the fishing that you do or wont to do - I also use a Stealth fishing ski but a profisha 525 and that is my go to for most things and I keep an Ocean kayaks Prowler 4.3 more so as a spare and of cause I don't fish PPB very often fishing mainly next door in Westernport where I find the quicker paddle ski is very handy pushing into a tide flow or covering some distance

Also:

Clothing kayaking is a wet sport and this time of the year it's damm cold in the water and not that warm out of it as Ian has said practice re entries - if you can't get back on your kayak quickly in Melbournes bays atm you could be in trouble
Hypothermia is real and the water temps atm would have you struggling to hold your kayak with in 10 - 15 min in the water with out the correct gear
So kayak dry pants and a good paddle top that keeps water out and layers of thermals - -- anyway as I said check out the safety section on Vyak it's better to learn by other guys mistakes than your own
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:07 pm

Bear123 wrote:
Sebb wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:20 pm
Depends how strong you are. Definitely consider the weight of the kayak to get it on and off the roof rack.
Plenty on YouTube on how to load the kayak onto a roof rack. Many diff methods too.
Doesn't hurt to check the kayak stores and try to lift them to feel the weight.
I have a small 2.0 ltr wagon car and able to put slayer10 (27kg) on the roof rack from the side, and I'm a small person. Just for comparison. Some people can dead lift 30kg straight to the roof rack.
Small and low car is easier ofc compared to a big SUV.
trailers can be also worth a look I have been using trailers for quite a few years now - - fitting a large box on them means you can put all you wet kayak wear - fishing rods and other smelly thing in --- your car wont smell like a fish market that way
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Kayak Fishing”