Looking For a Kayak

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Looking For a Kayak

Post by 4liters » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:58 pm

DougieK wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:26 pm
Are those kingfishers you're talking about the red one that GTShoon has? If so I didn't fall out of it... so there's a pretty good chance nobody else will either.
Unless it was just two unstable objects canceling each other out
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:45 pm

wem21 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:28 pm
HI guys,
Im on the search for a kayak, and im looking to spend about 500$ on it. Are there any decent yaks in this price range? And if i do get a yak, where do I go to use it? Are there gps marks available on your phone, or do I just find a place to drift (flat sand for flatties, weed beds for squid, ect)

Cheers
I also highly recommend the Wavedance Kingfisher. I bought one brand new for about $650 if i remember from the place on Bay Road, near South Land. Not sure if its still there, this was a few years ago. Anyway i consider it to be an excellent yak for a beginner. Very stable, fairly fast to paddle and not too heavy to move on land. I used to lift it onto the roof of my old Pajero by myself. All around a great fishing yak.

My partner has a smaller 3m yak from Anaconda.. i forget the model. She wanted something smaller so she can move it on land and lift onto her car. Personally i am not a fan of it, it tends to spin around when you paddle and holds no speed.. eg you have keep paddling or you just stop.

Having said all that, i have a mate who borrowed my yak and then went out and got a cheap ebay yak and loves it. Its not perfect, but it gets him on the water and he catches fish. Not the way i would do it, but each to their own.

Also another idea is to hire a kayak, there are a few places that do it. And check it out for yourself.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:08 pm

Gday Wem if you can I would keep saving and get something a little better possibly a peddle yak.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:37 pm

Yeah, I think I might just save up for a few more years (working minimum wage at maccas, only got 4 hours a week) and then splash on a nice Hobie

Cheers guys

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:41 pm

wem21 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:37 pm
Yeah, I think I might just save up for a few more years (working minimum wage at maccas, only got 4 hours a week) and then splash on a nice Hobie

Cheers guys
Put some dodgy **** on your tax return and you'll be good to go much sooner
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

wem21

Post by wem21 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:50 pm

4liters wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:41 pm
wem21 wrote:

Cheers guys
Hahaha, I wish I had the balls :te:

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:55 pm

wem21 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:50 pm
4liters wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:41 pm
wem21 wrote:

Cheers guys
Hahaha, I wish I had the balls :te:
pfft, coward

One $10,000 fully franked dividend (assuming you're below the tax free threshold) will score you approx. $4k in franking credit refunds*
*not financial advice

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:05 am

VooDoo wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm

If you are in the south eastern surburbs, go and visit C-Yak in Oakleigh - one of the nicest bloke you can meet. He will answer all your questions asked while making you a cuppa too :tu: :gj:
Andrew should open a coffee shop he is good at it --- :tu:

wem21 wrote:
HI guys,
Im on the search for a kayak, and im looking to spend about 500$ on it. Are there any decent yaks in this price range? And if i do get a yak, where do I go to use it? Are there gps marks available on your phone, or do I just find a place to drift (flat sand for flatties, weed beds for squid, ect)

Cheers
4liters wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:32 pm
Look for a second hand Wavedance Kingfisher or something imo
As Ian has pointed out - longer narrower kayaks will for the most suit the bays better than a short cheap pool toy

I started out with a Wavedance kingfisher about 9 years ago and it was a really good starter kayak at 4.1 meters long and fairly stable it was a good kayak to learn on ( a 20 km day on weasternport was quite in reach ) - other kayaks worth a look are the Ocean Kayak prowler range - quite offen the 4.5 meter come up second hand quite cheap and are a great unit if a little short on storage - the 4.3 was better and was also my second kayak
now I think anything under 5 meters in length is just to hard

both Ian and my self use these longer skis and I know Ian is looking at trading up from a 5 meter to a 5.6 meter unit -- myself I use a 5.25 meter kayak and have plans to build my own 5.75 meter fishing ski but of cause a lot narrower than commercially available

look carefully at the second hand market there are better options than new ebay or department store cheepies -
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

wem21

Post by wem21 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:43 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:05 am
VooDoo wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm

If you are in the south eastern surburbs, go and visit C-Yak in Oakleigh - one of the nicest bloke you can meet. He will answer all your questions asked while making you a cuppa too :tu: :gj:
Andrew should open a coffee shop he is good at it --- :tu:

wem21 wrote:
HI guys,

Cheers
4liters wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:32 pm
Look for a second hand Wavedance Kingfisher or something imo
As Ian has pointed out - longer narrower kayaks will for the most suit the bays better than a short cheap pool toy

I started out with a Wavedance kingfisher about 9 years ago and it was a really good starter kayak at 4.1 meters long and fairly stable it was a good kayak to learn on ( a 20 km day on weasternport was quite in reach ) - other kayaks worth a look are the Ocean Kayak prowler range - quite offen the 4.5 meter come up second hand quite cheap and are a great unit if a little short on storage - the 4.3 was better and was also my second kayak
now I think anything under 5 meters in length is just to hard

both Ian and my self use these longer skis and I know Ian is looking at trading up from a 5 meter to a 5.6 meter unit -- myself I use a 5.25 meter kayak and have plans to build my own 5.75 meter fishing ski but of cause a lot narrower than commercially available

look carefully at the second hand market there are better options than new ebay or department store cheepies -
Ah ok, I see. What are your thoughts on the aquayaks?

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:53 pm

wem21 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:43 pm

Ah ok, I see. What are your thoughts on the aquayaks?
I've never had anything to do with them but for a bay boat looking at there web site the Snapper - Snapper Pro and scout are to short and really just pool toys
if or when you get caught out in less than ideal conditions these kayak will be down right dangerous

the Ranger at 3.7 meters is about as short as you would wont to go - but it looks fat and heavy and at a guess would be a pig into a tide flow or wind

the problems you face with kayaking the bays in not when everything is calm conditions and even the best watched weather forecast will surprise and catch you out from time to time
so how does that effect a short kayak - paddling into a 5 kt ( 9 kph ) wind with no tide effect you could probably paddle at 3 - 4 kph constantly so 1 km will take 15 - 20 min - double the wind to 10 kts ( 18 kph ) that will cut a sub 3 meter long yak to 2 to maybe 3 kph so that 1 km now takes 20 - 30 min of hard paddling now make that 15 kts ( 27 kph ) the speed on a short yak will be 1 - 2 kph of hard paddling 30 - 60 min

and any tide flow against you makes it worse

now look at say a Prowler 4.3 or a Viking reload or most other name brands 4 + meters they cruse around 6 - 7 kph and even into a 15 kt head wind will still do 3 - 4 kph
now as weather is closing in would you prefur to get off the water or likely to be stuck out there

1 km out from the beach seams a long way when you first start kayak fishing but it takes only a short time before 3 - 4 km out isnt very far

as I pointed out I use long fishing skis now and know that into that 15 kt wind I can set up on a fast cruse at 6 - 7 kph and probably hold that for an hour

have a read through

https://seasherpakayaks.wordpress.com/2 ... me-buyers/

it may help a bit Eoin ( seasherpa )has this up on his site and gives some rough outlines on hull design

by the way I'm not trying to put you off kayak fishing but these are the reasons more experienced kayak fishos point you to longer yaks
and of cause we have all be caught out by the weather mans poor guesses on what the wind was going to do
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Kayak Fishing”