croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Re: Kayak Advice

Post by croe04 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:03 am

cheaterparts wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:20 am
croe04 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:06 pm
My budget is $700-$900 for a good, stable entry level kayak. Desired length is 12-14ft, preferably with a comfy seat and decent amounts of storage, on the lighter side would be nice and it needs to be rooftopable.
Ive found this one online from freak sports, and i'd like a second opinion
- https://www.freaksports.com.au/product/ ... r-package/
My only concern with that one is that i've seen the same model around on different sites and it seems like one of those cheap mass-manufactured ebay kayaks, and I haven't heard of freak sports before.
I've looked around on the forum and seen the wavedance kingfisher as a highly recommended model as well, so i'm considering that as well.

croe
First as a long time Kayak fisho I can tell you it is a great way to fish - I don't know the kayak you are looking at ( the Torpedo 13 ) but you are on the right track with the length -
any kayak you wont to use on the bays should be at least 3.6 meters long and this boat is close to 4 meters
I'm not sold on the high seat most of these newer designs have it cuts down stability so the manufacturers normally have to make them wider to get this back - this adds both weight and drag - both are less desirable

it's always worth looking at the second hand market as well as new as in a lot of cases you will get quite good bang for your buck

if you are thinking about a kingfisher ( I started out with one by the way ) look a Bretts boat for example - $ 700 - $ 750 and the extras -- a sounder -some rod holders and stainless mount for them - a paddle all extras you dont have to buy on top of your new yak
the Kingfisher is an older design but a good starter boat for most places - I use to paddle mine 20 km in a day on Westernport if needed and fished both bays with it

and there are other examples of S/H kayaks that come with extras - as a starter kayak it's a great way to go

I now use longer narrower craft ( also more expensive ) and no I don't use a Hobie much preferring to paddle as It suits my needs just as well and better in a lot of cases

if you lock at the LHS top thats my old Kingfisher I haven't upgraded my pic for a while
Thanks for the advice cheater.

Freak sports doesn't list the width or weight of the torpedo 13 on its website, but based on other models in different places it would be around ~84cm wide and ~35kg
I was told a while ago about the raised seats being more of a gimmick that just make the kayak more unstable, but most of the ~4m yaks in my budget unfortunately have it as a feature.
I've had a look around on some local online stores and found a couple models that look good, like the viking profish 400 and the profish 35, and the wilderness systems tarpon 140. Do you have any opinions on these? They're all a little above my budget, but I would be happy to spend more for extra quality. They also come second hand on gumtree, which i'm happy to consider too.

cheers

croe

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:50 am

croe04 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:06 pm
Hey all

Recently i've been getting keen on kayak fishing. Kayaking is something i've done all my life and I love it, but only recently have I considered kayak fishing. Over the last year or so i've been hiring sit on tops and taken a couple lessons periodically to improve my skills, and I reckon nows the time i'm ready to commit to the hobby.

As usual all advice and tips are greatly appreciated

cheers
croe
Seb85 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:46 pm
Good topic

I love this thread , , , , and for many reasons.

This would have to be the bench mark thread for any Kayak fishing advice.

Croe, yoooo da man , , , , you have shown excellently the basic elements of getting into kayak fishing sensibly, with your hiring, trying, lessons and improving to a point of wanting to get one , , , , and in an informed manner , , , , Well done.

You have also asked in a nice educated informed way, well done again. You are truly a very affable bloke :thumbsup:

Also the info in such a short space, is quite informative, thought provoking and gets the mind to look at options verses requirements, and what is out there.

But the main aspect I love, is this Forum working at its best. Croe, you have, by the high calibre of replies and the calibre of members helping you, you have obviously gained the respect of your peers. Well done to you again and all concerned, you have had my respect from your very first post, love ya work and how you handle yourself. A shinning example for others.

Top blokes helping out a top bloke.

Cheers, Bill

Oups, I can feel a Limerick coming on

There is a Forum member called Croe.
And he's a top bloke, as you would know.
He asked for some advice,
about getting at a good price.
On a kayak so he can have a go.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:16 am

croe04 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:03 am

Freak sports doesn't list the width or weight of the torpedo 13 on its website, but based on other models in different places it would be around ~84cm wide and ~35kg
I was told a while ago about the raised seats being more of a gimmick that just make the kayak more unstable, but most of the ~4m yaks in my budget unfortunately have it as a feature.
I've had a look around on some local online stores and found a couple models that look good, like the viking profish 400 and the profish 35, and the wilderness systems tarpon 140. Do you have any opinions on these? They're all a little above my budget, but I would be happy to spend more for extra quality. They also come second hand on gumtree, which i'm happy to consider too.

cheers

croe
The only Viking model I have paddled was the Viking reload and they go quite well - not the cheapest of there gear though fully set up with a rudder , fish box and the reload pod they come to around $ 3300
At that price it makes a fibre glass fishing ski look a pretty good deal

as fore the PF 400 and the PF35 my guess the 400 would be better for the bays but haven't paddled ether

the same with the tarpon again I've had little to do - I use to fish with a guy that had a tarpon 160 that was a quick unit for a plastic kayak

another boat that is worth a look is the Ocean Kayaks Prowler - some times the 4.3 come up Second Hand and so do the older 4.5 both great boats in all conditions - I still own a 4.3 myself and keep it as a spare --- one can never have to many kayaks
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Sebb
Has liked: 3009 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:55 am

I remember i watched a fishing show (ifish or ET), using foot pedal kayak that can reverse by simply paddling in reverse direction.
Which kayak/model does anyone know?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:58 am

Seb85 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:55 am
I remember i watched a fishing show (ifish or ET), using foot pedal kayak that can reverse by simply paddling in reverse direction.
Native watercraft slayer, certain hobies
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:29 am

4liters wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:58 am
Seb85 wrote:
The new Hobie 360 is a work of wonder.
But if you are only looking to fish bait most of the time, paddle kayaks arent really necessary.
they are really good for handsfree lure casting though.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:38 am

smokin_reels wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:29 am
4liters wrote:
Seb85 wrote:
But if you are only looking to fish bait most of the time, paddle kayaks arent really necessary.
Exactly my thought. I'm fine with hand paddle kayak on the bay bait fishing. But struggling when casting lures on windy days with currents such as fishing the mighty Goulburn river for cod. Last time I did that, I spent more time paddling just to stay in place and hardly casting.

Also, the ability to reverse paddle sounds great when the current/fish/wind pushing into rocky/snaggy area. Just reverse paddling to get out while maintaining position and two hands on the rod and reel.

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:52 am

Seb85 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:38 am
smokin_reels wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:29 am
4liters wrote:
Seb85 wrote:
Exactly my thought. I'm fine with hand paddle kayak on the bay bait fishing. But struggling when casting lures on windy days with currents such as fishing the mighty Goulburn river for cod. Last time I did that, I spent more time paddling just to stay in place and hardly casting.

Also, the ability to reverse paddle sounds great when the current/fish/wind pushing into rocky/snaggy area. Just reverse paddling to get out while maintaining position and two hands on the rod and reel.
Seb, again when fishing really snaggy rivers the drive is a nuisance. We wnd up switching to smaller kayaks that are simple cheapo sit on's for smaller systems. you can easily break a drive on a snag, Alex recently busted his at Mulwala. Gets worse when there is current and sunken trees.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:18 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:52 am
Seb85 wrote:

Seb, again when fishing really snaggy rivers the drive is a nuisance. We wnd up switching to smaller kayaks that are simple cheapo sit on's for smaller systems. you can easily break a drive on a snag, Alex recently busted his at Mulwala. Gets worse when there is current and sunken trees.
Errrhhh fair point...
So what's the solution? Sounds like nothing fits all.

A kayak for the bay and river/lake casting lures into snaggy areas.
I thought of Hobie Outback or Native Watercraft Slayer 12.

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:35 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:18 pm
smokin_reels wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:52 am
Seb85 wrote:

Errrhhh fair point...
So what's the solution? Sounds like nothing fits all.

A kayak for the bay and river/lake casting lures into snaggy areas.
I thought of Hobie Outback or Native Watercraft Slayer 12.
Ive got an Outback for the bay\estuaries\lakes\western port
and use a Dagger Drifter for skinny systems like the yarra or ovens. Cant be dragging a big heavy expensive yak over rapids, rocks and scrub.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”