Quick session at Mornington in the yak

fishophil

Quick session at Mornington in the yak

Post by fishophil » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:30 am

I worked most of saturday but was keen to get out on the water for a bit of a paddle and fish before the predicted 15-20knot winds swept through.
THe plan was to stay sort of close to land, incase things changed quickly. Willy weather was saying it was already about 13 knots at Dromana, but at mornington it was about 6 knots... I checked the Mornington Yacht Club web cam and it looked pretty good still... Im doing it!!!! 8-)

Since it was a nice sunny day too, it makes it a little harder sometimes to get a parking spot, and/or easy access to the beach as it gets more populated.
I was driving down to mornington about 4.30pm and thought I would have a look at the spot next to the the mornington lifesaving club.
Its not a huge carpark, but it has good access to the water.

I was relived to find plenty of car spots left when I arrived, and even more pleased to see the water was almost glass like... yeaaa haaaaaaaa!! :super:
10mins later I was almost ready to push the yak in the water. Although I got the usual 5min chat by a couple checking out my kayak of what is on it, what I catch, how far I go out etc etc... But I was soon on the water, and paddling over to a little spot I do ok at normally.
The water was pretty flat still, but you could tell it was going to pick up a little more soon.
There was a red tandem kayak near my spot, but as I got closer, it was just a older couple, with him doing the paddling, and her with a fishing rod doing the hard work ;) They hadnt even had a bite yet... this didnt look promising! :oops:

The water was looking pretty good!!

But soon, I had the anchor down, the burley pot in the water, some bait drowning, and sat back, watching the clouds roll in.
Soon there was a bit of activity on the sounder, and not long after, one of the rods was getting a good nibble.
I set the hook and soon had a little salmon on board of about 25-30cm.
It seems like they were just swimming around in schools, as I got 7 of them in the end, all about the same size, nothing huge, but good for some bait for the red things (snapper) at a later date! :evilgrin:

I decided a move was on the cards, over towards the pier more, this way, if the wind snuck up quick, I would have the wind behind me to get back to shore, rather than trying to punch through it for the km paddle back.
I dropped anchor again, just in front of the red cliff face, and threw out some baits.
It was starting to get a little dark, so I also flicked the switch on the lights for the yak. There were a couple of boats coming in from out deeper, and either fishing in closer, or calling it a day and heading back to the ramp. With me lit up like a ocean liner though, there was no need for them not to see me, so I was safe.

Sun set behind Mornington Pier/Yacht Club

The clouds starting to get darker.

The sun had set by now, and it was getting darker, as were the clouds, so I decided to call it a day too, but not before bringing a flattie on board, about the same size as the salmon. A quick measure, and it was fine, so in the fish bag on ice he went too.

Blackera!

With the wind up a little more, and a little bit of swell pushing me back into shore, it was a easy paddle.
I left the lights on while I unpacked, and brought the car a bit closer, so I could do the couple of trips loading the car back up nice and easy.
There was a light on the outside of the yacht club as well, which I didnt think anyone was in there, but 2 people came out to lock up the door and go home, and they were amazed at the nice shiny lights on the yak. They said they had been watching me paddle around and thought I was a well lit up boat until I hit the shoreline! :lol: They wished everyone was that well lit up as it would make it easier for them sometimes!

A crappy phone pic back on shore

Soon I was on my way home, to find the roads were pretty wet. I must of been just on the outskirts of the rain band, as I didnt get a drop while sitting out on the yak. It was good to get out, as I am busy today, and you get withdrawal symptoms if you dont get out! :lol:

The catch, 7 salmon and a flattie

Cant wait to get out again! :banana:
Hi ho, hi ho, its off to fish we go!

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Re: Quick session at Mornington in the yak

Post by VooDoo » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:01 am

Nice going FishoPhil!!!

Seriously thinking about Kayak and fishing after reading your report.

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:12 am

good to see you got out Phill

I was slack I was going to head out for a fish but did some work at home to get a race car going again
bloody mates have slimed me into cutting some laps at Sandown on cup day and the bug has bitten to get a car ready for next years events

today it looks better for sailing than fishing
looks like more work on the car today

the fishing will be better next W/E or one hopes
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

kev_b

Post by kev_b » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:26 pm

Great report.

Have bought a kayak recently, had a practise paddle out yesterday at Altona. Can't wait to get out there with a rod.

Your lights look brilliant, are they LEDs? What light do you have at the back??

:boat:

fishophil

Post by fishophil » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:14 pm

I have a flagpole at the back, with a 5 meter length of white led lights glued and spiraled all the way down it, plus a 2.5 meter strip of yellow led lights down each side of the kayak.
I also take a headlamp and torch out just in case for back up ;)

Hey cheater, yeah, it was good to get out for a paddle, I knew I wouldnt be on the water too long, but it was a good fix for the moment.
I remembered I will be away next weekend, so I might try and sneak back out after work one night this week if the weather gods let me!

Thanks Voodoo!
Its great fun, and as long as you make safety high on your list of priorities, you will have a ball out there!
I have had the kayak nearly 4 years now and love it! :toothy9:

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:23 pm

fishophil wrote: I remembered I will be away next weekend, so I might try and sneak back out after work one night this week if the weather gods let me!

I have had the kayak nearly 4 years now and love it! :toothy9:
so you wont be doing the Elwood Angling Clubs snapper Invitational next W/E

and of cause you love the yak its a yellow one all the best people have yellow ones
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

fishophil

Post by fishophil » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:29 pm

Nope, I will let you win that one! ;) :lol:
Im navi'ing for a mate setting up a 4wd comp ;)

Return to “Kayak Fishing”