Kings Kraft Kayaks

Bruffy

Re: Kings Kraft Kayaks

Post by Bruffy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:29 am

4liters wrote:I'd never buy one but the bloke is probably right in that it isn't a manufacturing fault and therefor not a warranty issue in the usual sense. Rather, it is poor design and I guess that is reflected in the price compared to other peddle kayaks.

Anyway, if you wanted to take the issue further I'd be looking through this link and seeing if any of the sections apply to your situation: https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/product ... omatically
Most places cave in pretty quickly once you threaten them with being raked over the coals by Consumer Affairs. You could also let Transport Safety know about the issue, I have absolutely no idea if they'd be interested but you never know your luck and it takes all of 5 minutes to send an email.
Technically that's true. There was a Ford car made back in the '70s called the Pinto that would explode shortly after a medium speed rear-ender, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgOxWPGsJNY this is the kayak equivalent. Indeed it's not a manufacturing fault but they shouldn't be selling such easily damaged kayaks. It's only a matter of time before someone comes acropper. It's the 21st century! The canoes of my childhood in the '70s had flotation compartments and could take a lot of punishment!

Bruffy

Post by Bruffy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:16 am

lazyfisho wrote:There are definitely no flotation compartments or foam in the kayak. Looks like getting a couple of 'pool noodles' and sticking them inside the kayak is a cheap option. any other ideas to keep the kayak afloat in a similar accident as Bruffy? Will be hugging the coast line....... no more than 1 km from shore..... is it too far?
I think 30mm polystyrene balls would better, pack it to the gills! Good luck!

https://www.koch.com.au/polystyrene-balls

Bruffy

Post by Bruffy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:43 am

Being do more research, contacted two ex-retailers of KK kayaks, I sent both the pictures of the damage, One from the Sunshine Coast

"Mate sorry to hear this but it’s not a surprise we stopped selling this brand more than 12 months ago (never touched the doubles only some singles). We had issues with some of these and could see the manufacturing was average at best - as was the warranty support - take it back to where you purchased it, come see us for a native watercraft which is now our preferred pedal drive, far superior quality. Buy good quality buy once."

The other from Italy.

Retailer: "Thank you vero much. I don't sell Kingskraft anymore"

Me: Problems with them?

Retailer: Some problems in pedal system.

Buyer beware!

HAFXB

Post by HAFXB » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:36 pm

The last couple of pages of this thread has filled me with the sort of seething rage that I usually reserve for people that knowingly sell defective merchandise...wait, that's because that is exactly what's going on here.

I've been putting off purchasing a pedal kayak for about 2 years now, because I couldn't really justify 2-2.5k for a second hand item being unsure if I would put it to good use.

When I originally read this thread it piqued my interest in the Kings Kraft, and when they went on sale for $1199 I couldn't resist; that was a more reasonable investment for me to test the water and see if I would actually put in the hours to justify any further investment. Only, they weren't really $1199 were they, there was another $500 for delivery but by then it was too late, I had already committed to buy so I sucked it up but by that point I was at the doorstep of what a 2nd hand hobie or slayer would have cost me.

When the kayak arrived I was initially very impressed with both the quality of construction, and the amount of genuinely useful extras included. They really do give you just about everything you need except a life vest and a fishing rod...given Bruffy's post it looks like a life vest is the one thing they should have included!

I've had it out on the water about 4 times now and performance-wise I wasn't too badly disappointed. The kayak handles itself fairly well in open (fresh) water on large lakes, and it has proven itself pretty respectable navigating at slow, fishing speed through areas with submerged logs, trees etc - Bass country, where I intend to keep using it.

The rudder and hand control feels much cheaper than the competing products and out of the box it does not hold a line on it's own, I believe an upgrade to thick steel wire will rememedy this behaviour.

Otherwise it does what it says on the tin, hooks along pretty quickly and is an almost ideal fishing platform.

I have already had a couple of very low speed impacts with fully submerged obstacles and haven't observed any catastrophic failures but they were VERY low speed as I knew there was obstacles there, and mine is only the 3.4m version so perhaps less prone.

However, there is one thing that makes me believe the fate of either my prop or my boat is inevitable: the pedal drive on my unit simply CANNOT BE REMOVED without going back to land or very shallow water and tipping the boat on its side, guiding the prop out by hand. The little stick provided which is supposed to align the prop with the hole does absolutely nothing in my case. I have tried 100s of times to get it right, but there really is no trick to it or way of doing it without guiding the unit out by hand. As such, every single time I come to shore or the boat ramp I am putting the whole unit at risk.

Now after Bruffy's post I have even more to be concerned about as it seems even a minor collision could be the end of my deceptively expensive item.

As I said, the quality of construction does seem quite good on my unit but there are places where the plastic is already quite heavily scarred from resting it on the tarmac before lifting on to the vehicle etc so maybe I am deceiving myself.

My final point of complaint is that during the course of a journey I am slowly taking on water. This renders any storage ability within the hull completely useless as the whole lot will be swimming by the end of the journey if it is more than an hour or so, which of course it always is. I'm not talking about a little bit of water, I am talking about a large enough quantity that I am making big erosion channels when I take the bung out and water flows out of it for ages.

Overall, I feel like this purchase represents a massive personal failing of character. I am usually a big believer in 'buy it once, buy it right' but this time around, the prospect of what seemed like a really good deal has fooled me and I feel like an idiot.

I would absolutely love it if anyone around the area of blue rock dam would allow me to try fitting their Hobie Mirage Drive into the hull of this boat; I've had a really good look at both units and I'm nearly convinced that they designed it to take these units, but obviously they couldn't advertise as such and I doubt Hobie will let me try that ;p

Buying a Mirage Drive may give me some peace of mind as they are designed with a lot more give; the Kings Kraft pedal drive is way too heavy and rigid, mated to equally heavy and rigid mounts meaning that the only point that will break after an impact is your hull.

The retailer expressed absolutely no concern over either of the enormous problems I'm having, and clearly has no intention of standing by their product. They haven't even replied to the 2 seperate emails I've sent about this issue.

There is also the matter of getting it back to them: I would be out of pocket by $500 to $1000 by the time I was done as I'm damn sure they won't be interested in paying return shipping via RMA.

I bought the fisher price of pedal kayaks...I'm an idiot.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:57 pm

Take them to Consumer Affairs if you think they have a case to answer. A leak is something you shouldn't have to deal with yourself if it is a manufacturing fault
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

lazyfisho

Post by lazyfisho » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:15 am

HAFXB, I have the same kayak as you. Bought it at Anaconda back in late Sept 17 during a sale. To date I've not had its maiden voyage as yet....slack as. I'll be definitely taking it easy after hearing all the negative reports. With the propel unit, I had the kayak mounted on a work horse and did a few practice run in dismounting the propel unit. Took some doing but finally got it. The 'Stick' did what its suppose to do. its the damn awkward angle that it needs to be before pulling it out. Will yet to see how I go on the water dismounting the propel unit. Do believe the propel unit have a problem as mentioned earlier in my comments in that there is no "give". Now you've mentioned it, did read it somewhere that it was designed to fit the hobie mirage drive. I am interested in whether the propel unit can be replaced by Mirage Drive. Do post the outcome. I'll be saving up to get one if it does! Any idea how much? Must say that the decision to buy this kayak was that I always wanted a pedal kayak and finance limitation. Oh well, I am stuck with it for now!!!

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:50 am

To put into perspective, even if something is not a manufacturing flaw design flaws can occur in any new design. Even Hobie have had major design flaws during their development. The differences is reputable companies will rectify design flaws as well as manufacturing flaws. eg with hobie drive well failures in early models, even the latest MD drives had failure issues. I had my 2015 revo replaced with a 2016 model due to a design, rather than manufacting, fault. It comes down to something being fit for purpose.

My guess is kings kraft wil be here today and gone tommorrow as they start to show faults in use and start to get a bad rap. Even the best of mechanical drives will wear out and that is were availability of service, parts and peer knowledge comes in. There is a vast amount of info about "how to fix my mirage drive.." to be found on line.

HAFXB

Post by HAFXB » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:42 pm

laneends wrote: There is a vast amount of info about "how to fix my mirage drive.." to be found on line.
Let's hope they fit then ;p

Bruffy

Post by Bruffy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:45 am

HAFXB wrote:The last couple of pages of this thread has filled me with the sort of seething rage that I usually reserve for people that knowingly sell defective merchandise...wait, that's because that is exactly what's going on here........
I bought the fisher price of pedal kayaks...I'm an idiot.
Sorry to hear mate, I've lost out too! I think your story will be all to common in the future and I doubt the warranty will be honoured. From an ex retailer on the Sunshine Coast....

"Mate sorry to hear this but it’s not a surprise we stopped selling this brand more than 12 months ago (never touched the doubles only some singles). We had issues with some of these and could see the manufacturing was average at best - as was the warranty support - take it back to where you purchased it, come see us for a native watercraft which is now our preferred pedal drive, far superior quality. Buy good quality buy once."

From an ex retailer in Italy....

Salento Kayak Fishing: Hood evening. How can I help you? where did you buy the kayak?
ME: Hi Australia, the front drive tilts forward and punches a hole in kayak. Sinks very quickly just warning you
Salento Kayak Fishing: OK, thank you. I don't buy kings kraft kayaks.
ME: Good idea, I saw them on you FB page you don't sell them anymore?
Salento Kayak Fishing: Thank you vero much. I don't sell Kingskraft anymore
ME: Problems with them?
Salento Kayak Fishing: Some problems in pedal system.
ME: OK, thanks, take care.

They're still selling the lemons in Greece, write a review, write reviews, google, wherever you can, I wrote one on Google they don't like it! Get the word out! Write to retailers that still sell them and tell them about it. Go on facebook pages that have them and tell your story.

Fixing the leaks.... Need to pressurize the hull. At the forward bung try to find a spare bung or something that will fit. You could even silicon a compressed air line into it then cut it out when the work is done. Apply pressure, spray the base and sides with soapy water and look for leaks, I've heard that their hulls are filled with tiny air bubbles that eventually pop and the water seeps thru. You may have whole areas where water 'sweats' through. Apparently this epoxy will work....https://www.nrs.com/product/2272/gflex- ... repair-kit. Watch the video, he chainsaws a canoe in half then repairs it! Some yaks need to be chainsawed in half and not repaired in the interest of public safety!

The drive, a mirage drive would be a good idea, great actually but in the meantime when you're near hazards or coming to shore flick the latches so it sits loose in it's housing, it will have much more give, I did this when approaching the banks when I put the tandem thru its paces. However if you're cruising to your favorite fishing spot and you hit a floating CHEP pallet or a heavy fence post you may be going for a swim and your gear sinking to the depths. Get a mirage! Better still, get a Hobie!

Take care and stay safe but get the message out there!

Alexbye

Post by Alexbye » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:11 am

Hey guys ! I have been given a 2nd hand Kings Kayak - too cheap to pass up. The only thing is it’s missing the rudder, is there anyone in this forum who has a spare ? Or maybe a broken kayak they have lying around that is happy to part it out ?
Thanks very much

Return to “Kayak Fishing”