Which Hobie??

Lennykravitz
Has liked: 11 times

Which Hobie??

Post by Lennykravitz » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:21 pm

Hi there Gents,

Given up on a boat for now as the funds required are still out of reach 😞
Instead I’m now seriously looking at a good fishing kayak.
I’m only a beginner and can’t decide between a compass or PA12, both pre loved.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Which Hobie??

Post by Sebb » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:50 pm

Lennykravitz wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:21 pm
Hi there Gents,

Given up on a boat for now as the funds required are still out of reach 😞
Instead I’m now seriously looking at a good fishing kayak.
I’m only a beginner and can’t decide between a compass or PA12, both pre loved.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Compass is much lighter than PA, but it has less storage etc.
If it's the basin compass, it has only the one way pedal fin thing. The 180° drive (can reverse) is more expensive.

Think about how are you going to transport them I'd say. Putting compass on car roofs rack is much easier because it's lighter.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:26 pm

What sort of fishing and what sort of locations do you plan to fish? That would be the first thing to decide and from there you can start to see how the pros and cons of each kayak line up with what you are after
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Lennykravitz

Post by Lennykravitz » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:18 am

Thanks Guys.

I have a van with racks and a tow bar but no trailer. I will be fishing inshore in PPB targeting calamari, snapper, whiting and flathead. Up until now, I’ve really only considered a new compass. I can get a 2020 compass with everything I need for around the same price as 2016 PA12.

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:02 am

Lennykravitz wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:18 am
Thanks Guys.

I have a van with racks and a tow bar but no trailer. I will be fishing inshore in PPB targeting calamari, snapper, whiting and flathead. Up until now, I’ve really only considered a new compass. I can get a 2020 compass with everything I need for around the same price as 2016 PA12.
Hi Lenny, to make your decision even harder, there is no perfect kayak out there. If you are planning on car topping the kayak, I’d go with the compass. The PA’s are heavy, cumbersome kayaks for roof topping, especially at the height of a van roof. I have a PA14 myself, that lives on a trailer. Often PA’s are sold second hand with trailers for this reason. In saying this, the PA is awesome on the water for lake and bay fishing. If going the PA route, I’d go the 14 if you can. The extra length keeps it tracking better in the chop, and it’s a faster kayak than the 12.
Also worth keeping in mind is if you plan on car topping and saltwater fishing, the saltwater will dribble off the kayak and onto the roof of your car, promoting rust wherever it finds bare metal. Good luck with the search, fishing from a kayak is loads of fun :tu:

Lennykravitz

Post by Lennykravitz » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:34 am

Thanks Tim,

You’ve actually managed to clear everything up for me. I’ll get the compass for now with the possibility of upgrading to a PA14 down the track.
Your comments regarding the PA12 make opting for the PA14 a no-brainer, but with a trailer.

Thanks also to Sebb and mazman. You never know I may get the chance to say hello one day…I’ll most likely head out around Werribee or Geelong or even Black Rock and Mornington.

Cheers 😁

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:17 am

Tim399 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:02 am

Hi Lenny, to make your decision even harder, there is no perfect kayak out there. If you are planning on car topping the kayak,
Also worth keeping in mind is if you plan on car topping and saltwater fishing, the saltwater will dribble off the kayak and onto the roof of your car, promoting rust wherever it finds bare metal. Good luck with the search, fishing from a kayak is loads of fun :tu:
hi there Lenny I won't give you advise on ether Hobie as I'm not a fan of ether. but then I tend to cover distance with my fishing and a glass ski works better for me - as it has been pointed out there is not perfect fishing kayak but and being an old and feeble I find paddling far easier and quicker to get around

but as for roof topping I use a trailer for my fishing ski and roof top my sea kayak -- one of the advantages of a trailer over lifting a heavy kayak on the roof is fitting a box to carry you gear --- all your wet fishing gear including clothing doesn't go home in the car -- so my car doesn't smell like a fish market
and of cause there is less breaking down the ski for transport -- set up times are also quicker at the beach as most gear is on board as you leave home

I roof top the sea kayak as there is less gear to stow and realy just a dry bag for wet gear and none smells like fish

trailers can be a bit of a pain to park around PPB but it's free parking at most if not all boat ramps - parking trailer around Westernport I found to be easier as a rule
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Kayak Fishing”