Mulloway...

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
slinga

Mulloway...

Post by slinga » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:12 am

G'day everyone,

Well, the best moon of the year is upon us over the next few days, and whilst my focus for then is catching Sharks, I needed a plan of attack afterwards. Which got me thinking, do I chase Westernport Mulloway for the next few months, or Yellowtail Kingies. As from now until the end of April, is a prime-time for both.

Secret Silver it is!!!

My knowledge is limited, but have a good idea of where/what to look for etc.

I have a few questions which anyone is welcome to answer but keep in mind I am not chasing your average 1-5kg soapies which are most commonly caught.

I will be using fresh, dead baits, do not tell me I need to use livies please.

Firstly, has anyone caught Mulloway in Westernport during the day??

Twin snelled/snooded 4/0s, or single 7/0 circle??

Stay shallow 1-5m, or fish around the 5-9m depth??

Flood or the Ebb tide??

Any advice would be brilliant, I'm sure I have more questions but cant think of them at this stage.

Mick :sun:
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Mulloway...

Post by ducky » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:28 am

There's plenty of answers about bait presentation on secret silver. I know you've seen it before. From memory it's snelled 4/0's they mainly use. Pretty much the only thing that is covered on that movie is baits and presentation.

slinga

Post by slinga » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:44 am

ducky wrote:There's plenty of answers about bait presentation on secret silver. I know you've seen it before. From memory it's snelled 4/0's they mainly use. Pretty much the only thing that is covered on that movie is baits and presentation.
Even presenting your bait as best as possible, I still think it looks better with a single circle. After all, Mulloway do inhale food a lot of the time.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:57 am

going in search of a jew tonight at the docklands
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:18 pm

good luck man. ive never targeted them with bait, is that dvd any good??? havent watched it yet??
they dont always inhale either, sometimes they crush the whole presentation with a lot of force might i add..
cheers

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:57 pm

Always ran 4 rods split 2 dead 2 live baits. Each bait was different be one mullet, another tommy and always had a pilly out. Never during the day, closest was just after last light. Flood tide best.

Cuda
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Cuda » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:54 pm

As I understand you're boat based. I know which one of the 2 species you mentioned I'd be chasing if I had a boat down here :)
Why not put a live bait out if you happen to get one (or a few)?
I don't have any experience down WPB, but as far as dead baits go, I'd be putting out some fresh squid if you have some. Circle hook for dead baits (7/0 ok as you say you're chasing bigger fish) and for a livie maybe a 5-6/0 hook, but of course, not circle.
If fishing dead baits I'd fish in gear, and Livies with a bait runner.
A friend of mine and I have had some luck lately first 2 hrs of the run-out .
Seen a 5-6 kg Jew caught the other morning (early) in the surf, but not sure how day time goes down in WPB.
Last one I caught was late at night.
It might not be much, but I hope it helps some.
Good luck, let us know how you go.

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:26 pm

I have only caught a couple of jewies and not in WP but I have found the will drop the bait (both live and dead) as soon as they feel weight so I wouldn't be using circles but others have plenty of success with using circles.
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

slinga

Post by slinga » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

Seems my Mulloway fishing is on hold at the moment, conditions are rather ordinary.

widgeon58

Post by widgeon58 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:25 am

Was wondering if anybody has had success using a live mullet on a bridle rig, either circle or J hook, when fishing for Mulloway?

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”