Lost something massive this afternoon

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
bilby

Lost something massive this afternoon

Post by bilby » Sat May 29, 2021 7:00 pm

I spent my 2 hours of exercise on the mulloway hunt this afternoon (in my usual haunt on the Yarra). I had caught 2 pinkies around 35cm and was running down the clock in my last half hour, when one of my rods received some light bites. Once there was a small bend in the rod tip, I leaned back on the circle hook. I felt serious weight, but no screaming run. After a few moments the beast turned and started running in towards me and then up river out about 10 metres from the bank - but a slow and steady, powerful run. I simply could not stop this thing, even with the drag set as heavy as I dared on 30lb main mono line (40 lb leader). There were no head shakes, just a huge bend in my 12ft rod and a slow and steady loss of line (about 50-80 metres, I'd estimate). Eventually there was a final lunge and run, and the line popped. I probably had the drag a little too tight, but I dared not give any more ground as it was running into pylons anyway. Any thoughts, people? I've never caught one in the river, but I'm thinking a very large ray, or perhaps some sort of shark (I once caught a 7 gill in the Yarra).

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Re: Lost something massive this afternoon

Post by Seniorfisho » Sat May 29, 2021 9:20 pm

Sounds like a Mullaway to me, you didn't use a 2 hook rig did you, lol

bilby

Post by bilby » Sat May 29, 2021 9:52 pm

No, just a single 3/0 circle hook. I've caught plenty of mulloway before - if this was one, it must have been over 20kg. Whenever I've caught them previously, though, they absolutely scream away - this was a slow and powerful run on heavy drag. Honestly, it felt more like a large stingray - but that does seem unusual. I've never encountered a ray up river before ...

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Sat May 29, 2021 10:43 pm

I think it's a mulloway too. How it swam towards you and up and did hard final run into pylons, is something that mulloway uniquely do often. Happened to me few times years ago when I was seriously looking for them.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Post by deathray » Sun May 30, 2021 12:13 am

I vote Mulloway. I reckon every type of take and fight can be completely different and a big one might just cruise about for quite a while barely even knowing it’s hooked yet.

Matthew drako
Has liked: 28 times

Post by Matthew drako » Sun May 30, 2021 1:38 pm

judging by the no head shakes and just the very heavy weight that you can't pull against, i'd almost guarentee a ray of some sort. there's plenty that go up and down the yarra. or as you've mentioned some crappy shark. but who knows, mulloway can be strange fighters. get back out there and try and tangle with another 1

Leonard
Has liked: 53 times

Post by Leonard » Sun May 30, 2021 2:06 pm

Hey bilby, I want to vote mulloway too on the balance of probability. With that said, I have had a tackle shop owner tell me all sorts of big things - even bronzies - will head up that river. I do wonder where the salinity starts to taper off given that - maybe around yarra bend? Nice work on the pinkies in any event!

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Sun May 30, 2021 2:57 pm

Leonard wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 2:06 pm
Hey bilby, I want to vote mulloway too on the balance of probability. With that said, I have had a tackle shop owner tell me all sorts of big things - even bronzies - will head up that river. I do wonder where the salinity starts to taper off given that - maybe around yarra bend? Nice work on the pinkies in any event!
Above dight falls (yarra bend) is definitely fresh.
A lot of reports of bream, ep, mulloway caught around cremorne/burnley, so there's definitely still a bit of salt there, especially if no rain for few days/weeks. Although, I've caught a big carp near swan st bridge on a day where had not been raining for weeks, that supposedly make it 'very salty', yet there was carp.
Burnley to Collingwood is that weird brackish stretch.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Leonard
Has liked: 53 times

Post by Leonard » Sun May 30, 2021 4:39 pm

Sebb wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 2:57 pm
Leonard wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 2:06 pm
Above dight falls (yarra bend) is definitely fresh.
A lot of reports of bream, ep, mulloway caught around cremorne/burnley, so there's definitely still a bit of salt there, especially if no rain for few days/weeks. Although, I've caught a big carp near swan st bridge on a day where had not been raining for weeks, that supposedly make it 'very salty', yet there was carp.
Burnley to Collingwood is that weird brackish stretch.
Cheers for being so helpful as always Sebb. I've hear a number of reports about carp turning up down there. I wonder if they're just so hardy that they can hold out for some weeks after they get flushed out.

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Sun May 30, 2021 7:31 pm

I'm hoping to spend some time on the yarra trying to catch my first jewie this winter.

Whats the preferred set up for these beasts and also is it necessary to use livies or can normal baits also work?

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”