Handling Mulloway

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
Mitta

Handling Mulloway

Post by Mitta » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:02 pm

Hi all,
I'm a very senior (ancient) flyfishing trouty who is fast approaching that time when stumbling, tripping and slipping over the cannon balls found in our mountain riverbeds will be past me. That, and swimming in my waders and boots.
I'm thinking that I would like to try my hand at some of the mulloway that frequent our bayside (Victorian) estuaries.
I'm a 'Catch and Release' kind of guy and being the confident fisher I am, I need to know if there are any spikes or sharp bits on mulloway of which I should be aware while extracting hooks from such denizens. I really don't like the look of those spring loaded jaw clamp things people use with Murray cod etc. and would rather not use such a device. Preferably, hands only.
Mulloway will be a totally new (fishing) experience for me, so any advice would be most appreciated.
Thank you and cheers . . .

Longbombs
Has liked: 19 times

Re: Handling Mulloway

Post by Longbombs » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:54 am

A big net would be the best way to do it, but you'll need something deep and wide.

The lip grips are the easiest way to handle mulloway.

You can use your hands, but the best way to secure them is holding them by the gills.

They don't release well as it is, so if you're releasing them, try not to touch their gills... I'm sure you know this.

Don't grab them by the mouth with your hands as that will end in tears and a sore hand.

bilby

Post by bilby » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:10 pm

Yes, avoid the mouth of a mulloway at all costs - the teeth are super sharp and will give you a very nasty cut, particularly if the head thrashes while you are holding it with your thumb.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:32 pm

Ye mate I’ve seen some pics and they got spikes everywhere on their back and stomach

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”