Barwon Land based mulloway

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
nooga27

Barwon Land based mulloway

Post by nooga27 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:26 am

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is staying safe.

At least we still have our fishing! For now...

Ive moved up to Barwon area for a bit of iso (and some fishing). Was wondering if anyone has heard of any land based jews getting caught in the Barwon recently? Ive caught a few in the Yarra over the last couple of weeks - but I feel like Barwon is a completely different game. Ive had a few good runs there on sheep wash but never caught one. Does anyone have any tips on bait, time, tide difference from entrance to sheep wash, etc etc?? I know people are very secretive especially in Barwon so if anyone wants to shoot me a PM I’d be happy to trade some Yarra info :)

Thanks and stay safe!!

Nick
Red sky at night, Fisherman's delight

Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Re: Barwon Land based mulloway

Post by Fishbref » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:33 pm

I mean, Ocean Grove surf in winter; overnight sessions, as fresh squid/mullet as possible - the rest is a matter of fish actually being around.

I never got one there (had some mighty runs though), but heard stories off a bloke who knew a bloke...

PS: This thread here is topical: http://www.fishing-victoria.com/viewtopic.php?t=3565

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Re: Barwon Land based mulloway

Post by Seniorfisho » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:26 pm

Fishing at the bottom of the slack tide is usually best. The Sheepwash is about an hour after Barwon heads tide. Use a running sinker rig with 2 hooks, one that is attached to the line but slides, forget what the knot is called. Fresh squid is the best bait but if you catch some mullet or salmon you can use a fillet

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”