Feb Jewries in melbourne?

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
nooga27

Feb Jewries in melbourne?

Post by nooga27 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:01 pm

Hey guys,

Wanted to see if anyone has heard of or got onto any jews in or around the Yarra in the last couple weeks? I know there was some good ones in feb last year so thought I’d see how everyone’s going!

Cheers
Nick :)
Red sky at night, Fisherman's delight

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Feb Jewries in melbourne?

Post by Sebb » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:19 pm

Compleat Angler Melb Facebook page posted a guy caught a 60cm jewie on soft plastic at St Kilda pier.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:58 am

Wait for a big rain, fish either fresh squid or live mullet up one of the rivers.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:11 am

Try the Maribyrnong, right up at Avondale heights with a fresh Mullet fillet , low tide

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:31 am

Under, near, or just upstream any of the bridges in both rivers, an hour or so before and after slack low or high tide and you're in with a chance. A live mullet on a long leader is the best bait, and, be well prepared for many hours/sessions of no action.

The Jewies are in both systems year round, but certain conditions are better that others. The dirtier the river the better; that indicates a fresh water layer on the top metre or so, which in theory keeps the baitfish in a more concentrated layer below the fresh (google halocline), and they duck in and out of the fresh getting the goodies being carried.

Dont be concerned when it looks like it's still running out when it should be running in. The top layer of fresh will continue to flow downstream, whereas the clear saltwater below will still ebb and flow according to the tide, and will often travel fast in the opposite direction to the surface layer. So trust the tide chart when working out slack tide.

During the warmer months they aren't around in the numbers compared to winter, but they are around!

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:59 pm

Personally I would concentrate on the Barwon river, as a side note my best hookup rates have been April / May and June on small live salmon for bait, dusk till whenever.. ya gotta love the scream of a multiplier in full flight ! ..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:54 pm

"The Aboriginal word Mulloway means 'The Greatest One' and Mulloway have long been a popular fish in Australia. This popularity led to a drastic decline of Mulloway stocks in the 80's, when it was a popular species to use for fish and chips."

I read this on some random site so I don't know how accurate this is, I don't remember Mulloway in fish & chip shops ?

I do remember coutta on the fish & chip menu.. drawn with chalk on a blackboard above the counter...
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Expomnowcon
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Expomnowcon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:59 am

Hey mate, I work in Cremorne and take a walk along the river for an hour or so most lunchbreaks sussing out the water. I've seen a LOT of mullet between 15cm and 30cm flashing recently in the yarra between Swan and Church St Bridges. I put in a few hours with lures last week one evening (fishing an incoming) but nothing to report. But the bait is there at the moment in biiig numbers.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:18 am

hornet wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:54 pm
"The Aboriginal word Mulloway means 'The Greatest One' and Mulloway have long been a popular fish in Australia. This popularity led to a drastic decline of Mulloway stocks in the 80's, when it was a popular species to use for fish and chips."

I read this on some random site so I don't know how accurate this is, I don't remember Mulloway in fish & chip shops ?

I do remember coutta on the fish & chip menu.. drawn with chalk on a blackboard above the counter...
It might not have been called mulloway, in SA they call it butterfish. I think butterfish in Vic is morwong though.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:52 pm

Grab a book called 'Ghosts of the Estuary". Well worth the read.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”