Lost something massive this afternoon

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Lost something massive this afternoon

Post by Sebb » Sun May 30, 2021 9:04 pm

Robbie1950 wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 7:31 pm
I'm hoping to spend some time on the yarra trying to catch my first jewie this winter.

Whats the preferred set up for these beasts and also is it necessary to use livies or can normal baits also work?
You can catch them on dead bait, I remember an old man caught one on a pilchard he bought from footscray market, he had no idea what fish it was, I told him and measured it for him.

But I think live mullet is the best. A lot of mullet from warmies move up and down the Nong and Yarra and Docks. Could be their natural food source.

When I looked for them years ago, I used kind of paternoster but with a long dropper. About 1.5m and 4/0 circle hook, I could've and should've used bigger like 5/0 or 6/0, they have big thick jaw bone. Then 30-50cm to the sinker. Cast the live mullet to the likely spot and wait, and wait, and wait. The mullet can kick a little, when the mulloway is around, the mullet go crazy! Then bbbzzztttt!! :ft: :wt:

They're not easy to catch. Gotta put the hours and effort. Good luck, you might get lucky. :tu:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

nooga27

Post by nooga27 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:57 pm

Sounds like a mulloway for sure. I’ve hooked a few in the yarra that are unstoppable. I’ve never encountered a ray up the yarra and I fish it a lot for jew, although I have in docklands so depends where you are I guess. But there are certainly mulloway to 30kg and even bigger roaming the yarra, especially around this time of year..
Red sky at night, Fisherman's delight

Longbombs
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Longbombs » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:59 pm

Landed a ray in the warmies sat night - would've been 1.2-1.4m diameter.

Hooked the same thing under the bolte ~ a week ago.

Same exact characteristics as what you're describing.

Think there's a big ray frequenting the river.

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”