1st real crack

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
abzz

Re: 1st real crack

Post by abzz » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:37 pm

If you are fishing pier 35, the beach bit there always has mullet. I can't remember the last time I have gone there without catching mullet. 2 hours or so before sundown till sundown would be the best time for mullet. They are still there after dark but in much smaller numbers(usually bigger models)
Try to go unweighted with no sinker, if not use a float as you will get a lot of other species fishing the bottom, especially after dark. Berley is very important too
If I don't have fresh/live bait I don't even bother fishing, unless I have fresh squid that I have caught and frozen, I can't say that you won't catch a mulloway on non fresh baits because that is not true as my brother has caught a couple on servo pilchards :doh1:
If you do get mullet and you are fishing the pier 35 area, it is worth having a fresh strip of mullet out as well as a livie. On 4 separate occasions I have had mulloway take the fillet and not the livie but they are usually smaller models about 3-8kg
Hooks will depend on bait size and leader 60lb is enough if around pier 35 area. There have been a few massive rays around recently, so you might want to bring a gimble :icon_lolz:
Last one I hooked a few weeks ago took me 2 hours and 7 minutes to bring in and snapped off another 3 before that that I couldn't stop
All the best

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:14 pm

abzz wrote:...There have been a few massive rays around recently, so you might want to bring a gimble :icon_lolz:
Last one I hooked a few weeks ago took me 2 hours and 7 minutes to bring in and snapped off another 3 before that that I couldn't stop...
Did you get a look at the rays, abzz? I've been smoked twice recently, the 2nd one after 35 minutes and a few good runs. Only got to see tailsplashes and churning water when I got them to the surface, they would only come up in the middle of the river so couldn't make out what they look like. Would be nice to know what sort of ray they are and how big they can grow to.

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:16 pm

Great info abzz for all fishing that area well done mate :thumbsup:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

abzz

Post by abzz » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:31 pm

kaotay wrote:
abzz wrote:...There have been a few massive rays around recently, so you might want to bring a gimble :icon_lolz:
Last one I hooked a few weeks ago took me 2 hours and 7 minutes to bring in and snapped off another 3 before that that I couldn't stop...
Did you get a look at the rays, abzz? I've been smoked twice recently, the 2nd one after 35 minutes and a few good runs. Only got to see tailsplashes and churning water when I got them to the surface, they would only come up in the middle of the river so couldn't make out what they look like. Would be nice to know what sort of ray they are and how big they can grow to.
Yeah I did see the ray twice, couldn't really make out what kinda ray it was. It looked a lot like one of them fresh water rays..light brownish with whitish patches and a longer tail than usual
The one I got was huge(for spin gear anyway) would of been close to 3metres from nose to tip of tail!
And to think that the other few times I got smoked on the same gear, who knows how big they get there

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:23 pm

abzz wrote:
kaotay wrote:
Yeah I did see the ray twice, couldn't really make out what kinda ray it was. It looked a lot like one of them fresh water rays..light brownish with whitish patches and a longer tail than usual
The one I got was huge(for spin gear anyway) would of been close to 3metres from nose to tip of tail!
And to think that the other few times I got smoked on the same gear, who knows how big they get there
Looking at this - http://portphillipmarinelife.net.au/sea ... e=1&fi=549" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the only ray that grows to that kind of size (to 4.3m length and 350kg) is the "Smooth Ray", others (on this list anyway) are less than 2m length.
Quite the challenge to land one though, fish and fisherman would be knackered.....2 hrs is a long time, but I suspect a large one could take longer because it rests and recovers while it "sucks bottom". Found out the hard way when I thought I had it beat!
Saw a young pup (50cm) caught last week near Pier35, the guy was oblivious of the barb and picked it up by the tail :crazy: Somehow he was unharmed and threw it back.

Have heard rumours of fishos using 100kg+ game gear in the Yarra, now I know why....

abzz

Post by abzz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:47 pm

2 that I hooked ripped about 150metres of line within 30seconds, suck the bottom and take off again (30lb mono about 10kg of drag)
I would love to know how big they can get in there..I would never target them though too much pain lol
Funny thing was I only started hooking them when using livies?

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:48 pm

Snorkelling at blairegowrie there was one would've been about 3 metres long!!!!
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:51 pm

There's one that hangs around mornington bigger than a car. No exaggeration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

allrounder_13

Post by allrounder_13 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:12 pm

Master-pro wrote:There's one that hangs around mornington bigger than a car. No exaggeration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There used to be 2 until some idiot harpooned one! and let it sit on the pier until it died. Horrible day that was.

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”