Saints

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Saints

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:09 pm

ive got a feeling that we will get rolled this time. Geelong are hitting form at the right time and will be very hard to beat.

In either case i think its great that a Victorian team will win the premiership in a year where none were able to play home games or even sleep in their own bed for most of the season. The interstates teams really dropped the ball in not winning it this year.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:39 pm

We’ll happily yoink Jack Higgins off ya hands Tiggerz. Missus and all.

MickCov
Has liked: 13 times

Post by MickCov » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:55 pm

Higgins would be a good pick up for the saints.Im not sure he would be overly happy leaving the tiges though.
Leaving a great club like Richmond with 13 flags and a rich history and straight into a s*** foundation club like St kilda.Being a pies fan I honestly remember as a kid thrashing the saints by at least 10 goals every time we played em during the eighties... :rf:
I have seen it even in local footy.Occasionally clubs with poor culture come up for air and taste the ultimate as the Bulldogs did....only to tumble back down to where it has lived for 100 years.
Not even equalisation has helped these clubs in the long term.
It’s a decision young players have to make.More game time at a club like the saints,or bide your time,work hard and play with a club where your chances of success are shortened.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:40 pm

MickCov wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:55 pm
Higgins would be a good pick up for the saints.Im not sure he would be overly happy leaving the tiges though.
Leaving a great club like Richmond with 13 flags and a rich history and straight into a s*** foundation club like St kilda.Being a pies fan I honestly remember as a kid thrashing the saints by at least 10 goals every time we played em during the eighties... :rf:
I have seen it even in local footy.Occasionally clubs with poor culture come up for air and taste the ultimate as the Bulldogs did....only to tumble back down to where it has lived for 100 years.
Not even equalisation has helped these clubs in the long term.
It’s a decision young players have to make.More game time at a club like the saints,or bide your time,work hard and play with a club where your chances of success are shortened.
Reality is, who is Higgins pushing out for regular senior game time? Sure as **** ain't Bolton, who will move more midfield when Edwards retires, but that's still a few years off. Rioli? Nope, not as quick nor as defensive, which means everything in the Tigers team. Castagna? Closest like for like, again gets pipped defensively and for speed. Lambert? Yeah nah Lambo is a lock against anyone on Richmonds list. He's not getting a wing spot of McIntosh, Pickett (ranked top 5 in most defensive stats at the club before anyone questions how he kept getting games with 6-10 touches)/Caddy as Hardwick favours defensive runners in that role (Ellis could rack up bulk touches unlike the 3 still at Richmond). He won't crack a midfield spot. And he is in no way going to get a half back flanker spot. He wasn't even listed as an emergency for the granny.

Good luck to him at the single flaggers. He'll slot straight into the 22 whether a Lonie stays or goes. Good player that's just surplus to current and immediate future needs at Richmond

SteveoTheTiger

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:42 am

I remember looking at the team sing the song after the prelim and saying that i cant see anyone getting knocked out of this side.

I think Higgins will just go the way of guys like Butler, Anthony Miles and Brandon Ellis. All great players, but you cant keep them all.

MickCov
Has liked: 13 times

Post by MickCov » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:14 am

It’s going to be very hard for any young player to break into the tigers team any time in the next season no doubt.
So many great players in the past cut their teeth in the reserves though.Tuck,Dipper going back a bit to name a couple of the top of my head.
Higgins is very good when the ball is on the ground and is very good finding space,a small forwards bread and butter.
Whilst superfluous to needs atm,he’s a handy depth player and popular clubman.
Not sure if he’s contracted or not but that doesn’t matter if he’s looking for more opportunities

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:07 pm

I thinks Aarts went ahead of Higgo this year and even he couldn't get back in the team come finals. When you have success like the Tigers have it is really hard for fringe players to break into the team and they end up looking elsewhere. I'd say we have done really well not to have lost any of our core group but we will need to blood more young ones next year or we will lose more.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

SteveoTheTiger

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:22 pm

Injuries have definitely been a blessing in disguise in the last two years.

Last year we unearthed Balta, this year Aarts. While guys like Chole have come a long way but cant seem to play out a full season. Markov will be a bit of a loss life after Houli (could have been a dual Norm Smith medallist) but having said that i feel Liam Baker has really stepped into that attacking half back role, for a lot of this year he was the guy with first touch after a kick out or turn over which a lot of our game plan seems to rely on.

I am really looking forward to seeing Collier-Dawkins, he tore it up in the VFL last year and was unlucky not to get more reserves game time this year to push his case. The same could be said for Ross, who was in our starting 22 before being injured last year.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:48 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:22 pm
Injuries have definitely been a blessing in disguise in the last two years.

Last year we unearthed Balta, this year Aarts. While guys like Chole have come a long way but cant seem to play out a full season. Markov will be a bit of a loss life after Houli (could have been a dual Norm Smith medallist) but having said that i feel Liam Baker has really stepped into that attacking half back role, for a lot of this year he was the guy with first touch after a kick out or turn over which a lot of our game plan seems to rely on.

I am really looking forward to seeing Collier-Dawkins, he tore it up in the VFL last year and was unlucky not to get more reserves game time this year to push his case. The same could be said for Ross, who was in our starting 22 before being injured last year.
I hope next year they try a few of these younger players while resting the older ones if there aren't injuries. From our Grand final team we will have 5 players 30+ Houli,Edwards,Cotchin,Astbury and Riewoldt. Even though all of them are still playing decent footy you need to look to the future and some tough calls will need to be made. Personally I don't think Houli should be playing and Astbury and Riewoldt should be rested more next year. We need to see if the young kids are up to it with at least half a dozen games to find their feet. If we don't we will end up like the Hawks in a few years.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”