NSW kayaker final moments :(

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Re: NSW kayaker final moments :(

Post by Seniorfisho » Wed May 27, 2020 2:01 pm

4liters wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:19 pm
Crap kayak in crap conditions with bugger all safety gear (and what he did bring - a phone - wasn't used properly). Entirely predictable and entirely preventable. There's going to be a day when a big northerly that wasn't forecast blows up and all the crappy little tubs pottering around Altona are going to need a tow back.

Get a good kayak, get fit, get safety gear (EPIRB, flares, radio), learn how to use said safety gear, learn to read the weather forecasts, and go out with someone experienced if it's your first couple of trips.

When I was looking for a kayak I joined Vyak and got advice on what to get, and went and bought a second hand Prowler which is a very well designed kayak for bay fishing - long, fast and stable. My first couple of trips were just laps of Lilydale lake to get a feel for the kayak on flat water with no gear. Next few trips to the lake I added the fish finder and a rod to get a feel for casting while balancing, and reaching for gear without tipping the yak. First trip on the bay was with a bunch of folk from Vyak, just to the reef at Williamstown so nothing too outrageous and plenty of people to assist if I got into trouble. My first trip offshore was with another big crew from Vyak with all the safety equipment needed for going long distances offshore.

When people see photos from 10km offshore at Portland or whatever and comment that you're either crazy or have balls the size of watermelons, neither is really the case - we're just well prepared for rubbish weather and have kayaks you can have some real confidence in.

You never stop learning, when my flares expire I want to find a place to set them off so the first time I activate a flare isn't in a dire emergency. Not sure if that's something the coast guard can help with but I think it's a good idea.
That's a great kayak safety write up but nothing will help you if you cop a freak wave, they even overturn ships

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed May 27, 2020 2:20 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:01 pm
4liters wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:19 pm
Crap kayak in crap conditions with bugger all safety gear (and what he did bring - a phone - wasn't used properly). Entirely predictable and entirely preventable. There's going to be a day when a big northerly that wasn't forecast blows up and all the crappy little tubs pottering around Altona are going to need a tow back.

Get a good kayak, get fit, get safety gear (EPIRB, flares, radio), learn how to use said safety gear, learn to read the weather forecasts, and go out with someone experienced if it's your first couple of trips.

When I was looking for a kayak I joined Vyak and got advice on what to get, and went and bought a second hand Prowler which is a very well designed kayak for bay fishing - long, fast and stable. My first couple of trips were just laps of Lilydale lake to get a feel for the kayak on flat water with no gear. Next few trips to the lake I added the fish finder and a rod to get a feel for casting while balancing, and reaching for gear without tipping the yak. First trip on the bay was with a bunch of folk from Vyak, just to the reef at Williamstown so nothing too outrageous and plenty of people to assist if I got into trouble. My first trip offshore was with another big crew from Vyak with all the safety equipment needed for going long distances offshore.

When people see photos from 10km offshore at Portland or whatever and comment that you're either crazy or have balls the size of watermelons, neither is really the case - we're just well prepared for rubbish weather and have kayaks you can have some real confidence in.

You never stop learning, when my flares expire I want to find a place to set them off so the first time I activate a flare isn't in a dire emergency. Not sure if that's something the coast guard can help with but I think it's a good idea.
That's a great kayak safety write up but nothing will help you if you cop a freak wave, they even overturn ships
There have been moments where I've been close to a bommey and a large set has come through and broken and while it might cost a bit of gear if I got caught in it, it would be pretty unlucky if I got killed as a result.

First thing is to not get separated from the kayak. I have a paddle leash that keeps me connected if I'm holding the paddle, and the first thing I grab for if the kayak gets a bit tippy is the paddle because you use it to brace and regain control. Once you get knocked out of the yak and go for a tumble you're still attached via the paddle and can remount and keep going. Worst case I've got the EPRIB attached to the yak (although when conditions get a bit sketchy I clip the PFD to it so if I go over it's with me.

Second thing is to be prepared for long periods of immersion. On fairly warm days I've still got the dry pants on and a couple of thermal long johns under that to keep me warm and wick any water way from my skin. It's no 5mm wetsuit but it extends the time you can be in the water before you die from exposure/hypothermia.

Third thing is I've generally got my handheld VHF attached to the PFD, so I'll be able to call for help if I get separated from the kayak. It might take a while for the coastguard to get out and actually find me so that's why the second point is important.

Fourth thing is to be visible. I stick out like dogs balls on the water because I wear a hi vis orange spray jacket and a yellow PFD. I have no idea why there's a market for camo PFDs. One of my kayaks is a camo pattern which I don't like but I got it second hand so didn't have much choice.

The final item which I don't actually have but is good practice is to have on you is a PLB. It just clips to your PFD and can pinpoint your location to a few meters. The drawback is you need to hold it upright above the water or the aerial won't work but it's better than nothing in a pinch.

There's some things you can't protect against, big wind changes can come without warning, the forecasts aren't perfect, and you can inadvertently find yourself over shallow ground where waves are breaking. But you can take reasonable precautions against predictable hazards like what the guy in the article faced, which is really all people are expected to do when heading out on the water.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed May 27, 2020 6:16 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:

Nothing will help you if you cop a freak wave, they even overturn ships

There are plenty of things that can help you when you cop a freak wave , , , , in any vessel.

Here's a check list of things that can help you:

* Experience
* Being prepared
* Safety Equipment
* Knowing how to use your Safety Equipment
* Common sense
* A calm and level head (as best as possible)

Granted, nothing might help you getting hit by a freak wave BUT there are plenty of things that can help you before that even happens AND plenty of things that can help you after that happens. AND not all of the scenarios mean you end up in the drink or capsized. But if any scenario does mean you are in the drink or capsized, then those same things would still help you.

Regards, Bugatti

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Wed May 27, 2020 6:37 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:16 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:

There are plenty of things that can help you when you cop a freak wave , , , , in any vessel.

* Experience
* Being prepared
* Safety Equipment
* Common sense

Granted, nothing might help you getting hit by a freak wave BUT there are plenty of things that can help you before that even happens AND plenty of things that can help you after that happens. AND not all of the scenarios mean you end up in the drink or capsized. But if any scenario does mean you are in the drink or capsized, then those same things would still help you.

Regards, Bugatti
The things you mentioned are more for boats and ships, when it's just little old you and the kayak and ocean either hypothermia kills you or you just drown as your kayak could end up a long way from you in the case of a freak wave, you might be able to swim far enough to gather it but highly unlikely, for me, kayaks are meant for rivers and small lakes, but that's just me

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Wed May 27, 2020 6:44 pm

Some days it’s best to stay at home, he should’ve known better.
Poor chap
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed May 27, 2020 8:51 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:37 pm
Bugatti wrote:
Seniorfisho wrote:

* Experience
* Being prepared
* Safety Equipment
* Common sense

Regards, Bugatti
The things you mentioned are more for boats and ships, when it's just little old you and the kayak and ocean either hypothermia kills you or you just drown as your kayak could end up a long way from you in the case of a freak wave, you might be able to swim far enough to gather it but highly unlikely, for me, kayaks are meant for rivers and small lakes, but that's just me
How are those things for boats and not kayaks? A kayak can easily carry all the safety equipment a trailer boat can unless you want to start taking those inflatable life rafts out with you.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu May 28, 2020 8:32 am

4liters wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:51 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Bugatti wrote:
Seniorfisho wrote:

* Experience
* Being prepared
* Safety Equipment
* Common sense

Regards, Bugatti
How are those things for boats and not kayaks? A kayak can easily carry all the safety equipment a trailer boat can unless you want to start taking those inflatable life rafts out with you.

I'll keep out of the rest of this because i'll get myself in trouble. but the list bugatti gave is relevant to literally everything. Rock fishing, i've been dropped twice and had to jump in after someone else once in the past 6 years. The most recent one almost certainly would have killed an inexperienced, unprepared rock fisho and the guy i pulled out had none of those things, and was going to drown had I not been there.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu May 28, 2020 10:15 am

4liters wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:20 pm

First thing is to not get separated from the kayak. I have a paddle leash that keeps me connected if I'm holding the paddle, and the first thing I grab for if the kayak gets a bit tippy is the paddle because you use it to brace and regain control. Once you get knocked out of the yak and go for a tumble you're still attached via the paddle and can remount and keep going. Worst case I've got the EPRIB attached to the yak (although when conditions get a bit sketchy I clip the PFD to it so if I go over it's with me.

Second thing is to be prepared for long periods of immersion. On fairly warm days I've still got the dry pants on and a couple of thermal long johns under that to keep me warm and wick any water way from my skin. It's no 5mm wetsuit but it extends the time you can be in the water before you die from exposure/hypothermia.
You probably didn’t notice at the last minute Portland comp Ian I now use a leg rope off shore. Since the first paddle challenge we did at metung where it was a requirement for all sit on top and surf skis to use one

I don’t use it though the surf zone which is would be foolhardy So both my paddle and myself are leashed to the yak. You can’t get back on if the wind takes it away

It doesn’t get in the way of fishing or paddling and it might not be everyone’s cup of tea It does work for me though

As for a freak out of wave getting us and tipping for us out That is why we practice deep water re entries. And some of us even practice in the surf zone on surf launch practice days

Kayak fishing has its dangers just as any trips on the top water the plan is to try to cut these dangers down. Having the right equipment is the best place to start

Short fat kayaks are not open water boats. Be that large bays Large lakes or off shore
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Thu May 28, 2020 10:19 am

DougieK wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:32 am
4liters wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:51 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Bugatti wrote:
Seniorfisho wrote:

* Experience
* Being prepared
* Safety Equipment
* Common sense

Regards, Bugatti

I'll keep out of the rest of this because i'll get myself in trouble. but the list bugatti gave is relevant to literally everything. Rock fishing, i've been dropped twice and had to jump in after someone else once in the past 6 years. The most recent one almost certainly would have killed an inexperienced, unprepared rock fisho and the guy i pulled out had none of those things, and was going to drown had I not been there.
You don't have to get yourself in trouble. This is just my opinion, I could say that if you get a decent enough rogue wave then nothing will help you, if you are in the water long enough you will die of hypothermia, doesn't matter how experienced you are, unless your talking about Mt Martha rocks or something. All I'm saying is that you are always in danger of death no matter who you are or what you know.

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Thu May 28, 2020 10:20 am

cheaterparts wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:15 am
4liters wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:20 pm

You probably didn’t notice at the last minute Portland comp Ian I now use a leg rope off shore. Since the first paddle challenge we did at metung where it was a requirement for all sit on top and surf skis to use one

I don’t use it though the surf zone which is would be foolhardy So both my paddle and myself are leashed to the yak. You can’t get back on if the wind takes it away

It doesn’t get in the way of fishing or paddling and it might not be everyone’s cup of tea It does work for me though

As for a freak out of wave getting us and tipping for us out That is why we practice deep water re entries. And some of us even practice in the surf zone on surf launch practice days

Kayak fishing has its dangers just as any trips on the top water the plan is to try to cut these dangers down. Having the right equipment is the best place to start

Short fat kayaks are not open water boats. Be that large bays Large lakes or off shore

Return to “Off Topic Forum”