4 day working week

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

4 day working week

Post by Mattblack » Tue May 26, 2020 1:26 pm

So the world has already started changing thanks to the pandemic...things wont be going back to the way they were that's for sure.
If Australia introduces a 4 day working week, staggered working hours, incentives to work from home, etc...do you think we'll finally achieve a proper work/life/fishing balance in the next few years?

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: 4 day working week

Post by Sebb » Tue May 26, 2020 1:42 pm

I think so.
Wfh itself helps me a lot by not commuting to work. Straight to fishing after work. More flexibility too.
E.g. good wind in the morning, then I can fish in the yak in the morning then late start work (finish late too ofc) and vice versa.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue May 26, 2020 1:53 pm

Unfortunately our current government are far too set in their ways to consider such a thing. There's also a lot of oldschool bosses out there who consider any deviation from the typical 9-5 drudgery in the office to be literal anarchy so you can expect a lot of shrill protests if it is ever even remotely considered.

It looks like my work will be moving back to the office next week after 2 months of working from home.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue May 26, 2020 1:55 pm

I think it’s nice to dream. I can’t see most employers adopting a 4 day week without there being other issues such as reduced pay etc.

I work at a place that’s open 24/5 with regular weekend work etc. 3x8 hour shifts. A move to a 4 day week only means less production which will equate to higher running costs which will need to be passed on to the consumer...

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue May 26, 2020 2:15 pm

4liters wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:53 pm
Unfortunately our current government are far too set in their ways to consider such a thing. There's also a lot of oldschool bosses out there who consider any deviation from the typical 9-5 drudgery in the office to be literal anarchy so you can expect a lot of shrill protests if it is ever even remotely considered.

It looks like my work will be moving back to the office next week after 2 months of working from home.
I have a feeling once oldschool bosses see productivity is equal or greater than pre-pandemic levels and they are saving $? dollars having bums at home instead of the office, things will rapidly change. I know I'd be a lot more productive if I was to work 4 x 10hr days rather than 5 x 8hr days...I'd finally be able to have decent rest on the weekend and charge my batteries before starting another week.
The only people that wouldnt benefit are retirees who usually have an empty boat ramp on weekdays.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue May 26, 2020 2:32 pm

It can work both ways.
Almost all the admin staff where I work are WFH atm. The amount of mess that’s obvious in terms of Purchase orders/service orders and the likes are just crazy.
None of that would have happened when everyone was at the office actually communicating with each other. Makes everyone else’s jobs a lot harder by not having stuff on time, or getting the wrong equipment and lots more

And then you have the other side, the bosses that now have worked out, hey im saving money here by not having people at work, as long as things are getting done im laughing.

I think it will be a case by case approach for each industry, wether it works or not.

Also now comes added problems of if you cant finish your work, take the work home and finish it at home.. for someone on a salary that’s a 10 foot pole up the a$$
Works the other way around too ofcourse, as long as the hours are matching up and you can go fishing in the morning and work after that then all good.
If others are relying on you to get their job done though, then I think even working from home benefits are not as appealing, as you will still need to start when everyone else starts and finishes.

My old office had flexible work hours far back as 2010 or earlier even.
There were core working hours where everyone needed to be at work (10-3) any other time, they didn’t care whether you worked from home or stayed in the office.

many people i know are already working 40 hour shifts with friday being half a day!
so a 4 day work might be an option for some companies.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue May 26, 2020 3:59 pm

ducky wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:55 pm
I think it’s nice to dream. I can’t see most employers adopting a 4 day week without there being other issues such as reduced pay etc.

I work at a place that’s open 24/5 with regular weekend work etc. 3x8 hour shifts. A move to a 4 day week only means less production which will equate to higher running costs which will need to be passed on to the consumer...
My work place is pretty much the same. We are open 7 days a week, every day of the year. And there isnt enough hours in the week to get the work done as it is sometimes.

And with the government introducing mandatory overtime for hospitality workers doing over 38hrs a week it has become even harder to make money because now you just get sent home early because employers dont want to pay that overtime where in the past at least you could continue working and be paid by the hour at your normal rate.

The government think they are doing us a favour, where all they are actually doing is screwing us over. I used to depend on those really big weeks at my work where you might do 60 or 80 hours 4 or 5 weeks in a year and cash in... now we hit 38hrs and get sent home and they call in someone else to finish the job.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue May 26, 2020 5:02 pm

I do 12 hour shifts 2 days 2 nights 4 days off. I love it would not go back to 5 weekdays.
Great when you take 4 days off you are off For 12. With 5 weeks annual leave 12 rdo’s and 6 days in lieu you get plenty of time off. But the weather gods hate me at times 4 days on weather great light winds nice temps, then come my days off howling winds Freezing temps.
What I need is a shift where I only go work when the wind is above 10 knots or coming from the east, I did approach my boss but I don’t think he was interested
Last edited by Nude up on Tue May 26, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue May 26, 2020 5:02 pm

Great idea wouldn’t suit all industries but would be beneficial for many.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue May 26, 2020 5:43 pm

Nude up wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:02 pm
I do 12 hour shifts 2 days 2 nights 4 days off. I love it would not go back to 5 weekdays.
Great when you take 4 days off you are off For 12. With 5 weeks annual leave 12 rdo’s and 6 days in lieu you get plenty of time off. But the weather gods hate me at times 4 days on weather great light winds nice temps, then come my days off howling winds Freezing temps.

What I need is a shift where I only go work when the wind is above 10 knots or coming from the east, I did approx my boss but I don’t think he was interested

So Nude up, I guess asking for a Company Boat would be out of the question

Company car.JPG

Return to “Off Topic Forum”