'working' from home

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

'working' from home

Post by Mattblack » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:54 pm

So how many of you have been told to work from home thanks to Coronavirus?
*Any tips on how to conduct business calls, video conferencing, etc. so people don't know I'm out on the water would be greatly appreciated.

Sebb
Has liked: 3013 times

Re: 'working' from home

Post by Sebb » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:38 pm

I work from home.
Cant comment on the second one, lol.
I start work early and finish early. With sunset is still around 8pm and no need to commute, I can fish for few hrs into the night after work.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:47 pm

Some easy steps to follow :
- have midday checkins to see if your co workers are stuck on problems and you can help them
- Start using Skype or Whatsap Video calling or even something as simple as Facetime for conferencing. They are all free and work well.
- Establish a clean and comfortable distraction free work space.
- Start using more web based versions of powerpoint or excel, so you can share your work easily.
- Setup a cloud sharing platform for file storage, something like google drive or icloud or onedrive works great. That way, you can share documents with your colleagues easily
- Remember to stretch and take breaks
- Set yourself a start and finish time, its hard to pull away from work sometimes, especially when working from home. Easy to roll out of bed into a shitstorm and not do anything else till midnight.
-Use the time that you saved on the commute to exercise or spend more time with pets, loved ones or the local bream population
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:57 pm

Not working from home, but as i said in the other thread that was deleted as a full time casual i have been sent home without pay for as long as the MCG is shut down (even the full time employees are going without pay when their annual leave rungs out). And as a chef i can not even go and look for any other temp work as all venues are going to be shut down, or so i heard today.

This is really a ****** up situation. People in my position can only hope that those that come looking for money are going to be a bit lenient while all this is going on.

Oh well, at least i own the boat. :tu:
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:05 pm

I work at a university and am wfh as of this week. I'm grateful and lucky to be in a role I can wfh permanently and depending on any closures have a chance of retaining my employment - but still obviously a worry.

Condolences to Stevo and others who aren't in a situation to continue working and generating income. Scary circumstances.

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:19 pm

I'm a primary school teacher. I work in a petri dish. That being said, I will be taking home money. This is a not a pleasant dilemma for anyone.

I suspect politicians will have money, plenty of toilet paper, and shielding from the diseased masses, though.

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Post by ben475 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:41 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:57 pm
Not working from home, but as i said in the other thread that was deleted as a full time casual i have been sent home without pay for as long as the MCG is shut down (even the full time employees are going without pay when their annual leave rungs out). And as a chef i can not even go and look for any other temp work as all venues are going to be shut down, or so i heard today.

This is really a ****** up situation. People in my position can only hope that those that come looking for money are going to be a bit lenient while all this is going on.

Oh well, at least i own the boat. :tu:
going to be tough for some people for sure.
I would assume full time employees would use sick leave before annual leave? being made to stay home for health reasons and all.

as for the people struggling to pay mortgages etc, not sure how much the banks will be able to do about it in this situation. will they be going out repossessing homes? will anyone be buying houses? maybe everything will be shut down and have to be dealt with afterwards.

Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Post by Fishbref » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:10 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:47 pm
Some easy steps to follow :
- have midday checkins to see if your co workers are stuck on problems and you can help them
- Start using Skype or Whatsap Video calling or even something as simple as Facetime for conferencing. They are all free and work well.
- Establish a clean and comfortable distraction free work space.
- Start using more web based versions of powerpoint or excel, so you can share your work easily.
- Setup a cloud sharing platform for file storage, something like google drive or icloud or onedrive works great. That way, you can share documents with your colleagues easily
- Remember to stretch and take breaks
- Set yourself a start and finish time, its hard to pull away from work sometimes, especially when working from home. Easy to roll out of bed into a shitstorm and not do anything else till midnight.
-Use the time that you saved on the commute to exercise or spend more time with pets, loved ones or the local bream population
Spot on; me since Monday.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:53 pm

Pro tip: get WiFi in your boat, or a dongle or something
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:55 pm

Pretty sure Loom or Zoom or one of those let you set your background so you can choose a really boring office setting to block out the console of your boat
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Off Topic Forum”