Trolling motor for Westernport?

bugeater
Has liked: 1 time

Trolling motor for Westernport?

Post by bugeater » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:56 am

As I'm waiting in suspense while the shop gets my new boat ready, I'm looking at accessories. I think I've got the basics on order it doesn't come with (cover and transducer mostly), but one thing I was wondering about was electric trolling motors. It comes with the mounting plate, so at least that is covered.

I mostly fish Westernport (in a kayak at the moment) so there is some pretty decent current to contend with. Are these spot lock style motors capable of handling that sort of current, or am I wasting my time? I just love the idea of being able to park directly over the targeted spot with out having to deal with anchors, drifting and all that.

The boat's a Stacer 449 outlaw. Specs are 354kg hull weight, motor's 112kg, then there's fuel, me and all the other junk. So maybe another 200 to 300kg? So about 760kg or 1700 lb. Seems the recommended basic trust level should be 1lb per 50lb of weight, which means around 34lb of thrust. Then 10 to 20% for current/wind, and we get to about 40lb. So would something like a 65lb thrust watersnake be sufficient?

Anyone had any experience with this?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Trolling motor for Westernport?

Post by purple5ive » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:09 pm

Absolutely no chance you will hold even with a 55lb.
I'd aim for 80lb plus if you want to actually hold in decent wpb current in areas like Cowes, sanremo, Flinders etc.

I have a 55lb on a 4.2m and its not enough in wpb.
Everywhere else it's fine.

bugeater

Post by bugeater » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:28 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:09 pm
Absolutely no chance you will hold even with a 55lb.
I'd aim for 80lb plus if you want to actually hold in decent wpb current in areas like Cowes, sanremo, Flinders etc.
Thanks mate. That's really helpful. I've sat in those channels in a yak and it's basically a slightly submerged river when the tide is coming in or out. But being able to sit right on the channel dropoffs is tricky with an anchor. I'll consider a more serious setup (though that might be down the track a bit).

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:36 pm

What Purple said. You're using a minimum of 6oz of lead to hold a pilchard on the bottom in most deeper places in Westernport, it's a 24v system all day everyday to spotlock even a "small" Outlaw in that tidal flow, and with wind and chop on top. If you're strictly a shallow water whiting and squid guy you might get away with 12v 55lb/65lb. If you're on a "budget", motorguide Xi5 80lb and 2x100ah agm batteries will set you back about $4k

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:52 pm

If your predominantly a bait fisherman, then an electric winch will be more useful.
If you fish lures, estuary and impoundments etc then consider the 24v trolling motor setups like cobby said, you really do need the big boys for wpb.

Ive fished tyabb and quail bank and also held anchor right in front of Cowes pier using the 55lb, but it was on a day of less tidal movement. On full pelt big tides 55lb is just not enough, specially on a bigger boat like that, get the 80 or even 112 and relax a bit better rather than over working the 55lb.

bugeater

Post by bugeater » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:55 am

I'm thinking the 80 might be the way to go. I do a bit of everything, bait, lures and maybe even some fly fishing in the lakes eventually.

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Post by ben475 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:04 pm

i've used an 80lb on a 475 alloy, to spot lock in WP, not really in the fastest running sections but in some decent flow.
i probably wouldn't use it as my primary way of holding a spot in WP but its great if your not sure how long your going to stay in a spot or if you want to move small distances and re anchor.

Return to “Boating”