Looking at purchasing my first boat

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Looking at purchasing my first boat

Post by Andrews » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:55 pm

Hey everyone,

I’m reaching out because as I am looking to purchase my first boat next year, and would greatly appreciate hearing everyone’s advice, lived-experience and suggestions when it comes to purchasing a pre-loved vessel.

The kind of pre-loved vessel I’m looking for:
- Budget $7000 - $9000.
- Aluminium tinny, open style.
- ~4.2M+ in length
- Side console?
- Casting deck?
- Will be fishing Clifton Springs and St Leonards in good conditions.
- Will be fishing solo, duo comfortably.
- Motor and Trailer would be part of the budget.

Overall, I’m looking for a nice open tinny with carpet flooring, a side console, casting deck to fish shallow sheltered waters in good conditions. Just something to punch out on a good day for some squid, flathead, whiting, snapper.

A couple of burning questions that I had were:
- Is this a reasonable ask for a pre-loved vessel within the price range?
- For an aluminium boat, what should you look for in regard to aluminium pitting, excess corrosion, etc?
- How would you ensure the marine plywood is in reasonable condition?
- What would be a red-flag on a trailer? Motor?
- Is there an advantage to buying during winter, as opposed to the warmer months?

Looking forward to options, thanks!

Kind regards,

Andrew
Last edited by Andrews on Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Looking at purchasing my first boat

Post by canned_tuna » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:05 pm

Andrews, I have purchased many boats over the last 25 years and with my experiences, i believe that budget you have to cover the requirements you are after may be a bit of a struggle for a half decent vessel. Maybe something with an older 2 stroke. When I think about the types of fishing you like doing I think of boats like the savage jabiru and stacer proline. Good luck with your search

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:24 pm

Just get a kayak
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:03 pm

I was in your shoes once, looking at the same style boat with a similar price range and decided to go a little extra money on something that I could upgrade further when funds allowed.

Here's the type of boat I'm assuming you're looking to get into. (Tiller though)

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/deta ... D-13573021

However I bet you all that timber is in need of replacement. And ultimately all they are is a dolled up tinny.

If I were you. I'd be looking to get a pretty bare bones tinny. Something sub 10 years old in the 3.9-4.2m mark with a flat floor, and a decent little tiller outboard and little else.

Get out there and fishing and then as funds allow add the casting deck and other stuff suited to how you want to fish. Maybe you want a monster deck. Maybe you want to stretch the swag out on the lower section for overnighters. Maybe you want full rod lockers. You won't really know until you fish out of the boat a hell of a lot.

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:31 am

Thank you everyone who has replied so far, I greatly appreciate your responses and advice.

Thanks Canned_Tuna, I had set myself up with the expectation that I was perhaps punching above my weight on this one, but that's why I'm starting early seeking advice. It really gives me time to refine on what I'm looking for, and what should be considered extra.

Thanks 4Liters, personally, I wouldn't have the confidence I have in a boat using a kayak. Not knocking kayaks, as they're more sustainable and affordable options, but they perhaps wouldn't be what I'm looking for in this situation.

Thanks Ducky, and I greatly appreciate your advice. I feel that your first paragraph rings true, I'm looking for a solid vessel that allows me to upgrade / update over time. I also acknowledge that I'd rather but right once, then cheap out and have to buy a replacement in the near future.

I feel that you're spot on with the suggestion of buying an open flat floored tinny, and then consider the casting deck, storage, etc as potential projects for the future. This is what I've fortunate enough to support a few friends with (creating casting decks, storage,installs etc) and appears to be the best course of action.

Questions
Reflecting on all the advice given, more functional burning questions that I've had and would appreciate hearing peoples experience on are:

- From a quality of life perspective, how much of a difference does a side console vs tiller make?
- Does have the vessel painted make a difference in the care, protection of the aluminium?
- Is it worthwhile spending that little bit extra for new, than a pre-loved vessel?
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:56 pm

a boats a pretty personal thing so you will get a wide variety of opinions.
im sure you can find something that will be alright if your happy to shop around.
for that size boat, if your prepared to travel you might find something suitable from northern vic in good nick that might be a little bit older but never seen the salt.
unpainted is probably going to be better corosion wise. bare alloy can get bloody hot on a sunny day. a polycraft would eliminate any hull corrosion issues, not sure on price, will be a bit heavier.
tiller steer isnt too bad (imo).

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:24 pm

Andrews wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:31 am
Thank you everyone who has replied so far, I greatly appreciate your responses and advice.

Thanks Canned_Tuna, I had set myself up with the expectation that I was perhaps punching above my weight on this one, but that's why I'm starting early seeking advice. It really gives me time to refine on what I'm looking for, and what should be considered extra.

Thanks 4Liters, personally, I wouldn't have the confidence I have in a boat using a kayak. Not knocking kayaks, as they're more sustainable and affordable options, but they perhaps wouldn't be what I'm looking for in this situation.

Thanks Ducky, and I greatly appreciate your advice. I feel that your first paragraph rings true, I'm looking for a solid vessel that allows me to upgrade / update over time. I also acknowledge that I'd rather but right once, then cheap out and have to buy a replacement in the near future.

I feel that you're spot on with the suggestion of buying an open flat floored tinny, and then consider the casting deck, storage, etc as potential projects for the future. This is what I've fortunate enough to support a few friends with (creating casting decks, storage,installs etc) and appears to be the best course of action.

Questions
Reflecting on all the advice given, more functional burning questions that I've had and would appreciate hearing peoples experience on are:

- From a quality of life perspective, how much of a difference does a side console vs tiller make?
- Does have the vessel painted make a difference in the care, protection of the aluminium?
- Is it worthwhile spending that little bit extra for new, than a pre-loved vessel?
You might snap a steering cable on the side consol but that's the only downside I can think of. So much more comfort with a side consol, you don't have to get the boat on the plain all the time to be able to see over the front. It is always best to spend a bit extra and a new one imo

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:38 pm

You will still get wet on the side console and be driving lop sided when on your own hahaha. If your ok with that then no worries.

Tiller will give you the most room
Centre console is the best of all worlds. Can see where your going, and minimal spray. You do loose a bit of room though.

Also not all tinny are as stable as each other, some are just ****. If lure fishing you really want something that's nice and stable at rest

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:29 pm

Thank you everyone for the further replies,

Thanks Ben475, agreed with boats being such a personal preference. I appreciate the opinion on the side console. I've comfortable used tiller steer in the past, the whole side console / sounder setup looked that bit more functional. Very true about tinnies and getting hot!

Cheers Seniorfisho, that eases a few thoughts I had towards the advantage side console. A boat is a big investment, and I'd rather make an educated decision! Agreed with the new. Thanks!

Thanks Purple5ive, you do make a good point! I think if I'm willing and in a position to spend a little more that'll open up more options, tiller, side, centre console, etc. I think functionality will be the deciding factor! Stability will be an important consideration.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:36 pm

7/ 9 k is a great budget...
Just gotta be onit and have cash ready.
Was nice 440 stacer 06 model with 40 hp for k last week.
I'd go centre console ..
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Return to “Boating”