New boat option

Pdiddy24
Has liked: 49 times

New boat option

Post by Pdiddy24 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:27 pm

Hi All
I'm in between boats at moment having sold my last one over winter last year.
I'm on the look out again for a boat.

I have my eye on this one being a poly single engine cat found here:

https://www.quantumcat.com.au/utility

If be setting up as a centre console with 70hp yamaha on back.
Would need to think about anchor locker for future winch
The rear setup not ideal and would want that aluminium locker raised to setup for Vic Bay fishing. Mostly fish squid, whiting snapper and gummy in western and PPB.

My thoughts on it are:
- stability
- safety with twin hull and floatation
- deck space
- poly and no rust
- basic setup to fish bays and outside on nice days

Negatives that I can see:
- untried brand?
- I've read cats with singles have issues
- would need a bit of customising for setup
- doesn't look to be a speed demon and bit sluggish on the videos
- Probably wet rode

Any thoughts on this and obvious red flags I'm not seeing would be appreciated

Thank you!
Attachments
Screenshot_20220926-084027_Samsung Internet.jpg
Photo of boat

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: New boat option

Post by purple5ive » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:13 am

Make sure you take into account the trailer you will need for a cat. They are not your std run off the mill trailers.
Is the hull foam filled?
Short transom would mean water into the hull at rest or backing up on choppy days
As with most poly boats get the Max hp recommended.
There will be a new player in the poly boat game very soon, I don't know much about it yet but it's a new release coming soon to Australia.
I would wait and see what the boat show brings as well, they might have it in there perhaps.
Cheers

Pdiddy24

Post by Pdiddy24 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:45 pm

Hey Purple thanks for the response.
Good point on the trailer
And yes there is an option to get it foam filled which I'd for next boat. Getting a lot more safety conscious now
Haven't got specs on it yet to get idea on dimensions but yeah def looks short at transom. Also can't see under that alloy seat at rear to see if sump of any kind.

Oh no way!? Do you know how far away that is? It's not that Impact Boats is it?
Don't think I'd go back to alloy now having researched poly type boats.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:48 pm

He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Pdiddy24

Post by Pdiddy24 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:57 pm

Thanks Hornet! Didn't realise it was so soon this year. Last couple years have been a blur can't keep up. Def getting along to that

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:44 pm

What's the reason for wanting a cat?

I don't think you'll reap any benefits in that size and honestly the mono hull tinnies of that size will probably give better performance.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:43 pm

So, from what I can make out on this, you'll be looking at around 20k boat and there trailer, plus motor, say 10 ish. ????

I think there are better options out there rather than sinking 30k into this set up, personally....

I like the plastic fantastics, but for 30K, you could get a seriously rebuilt small fibreglass boat with a pretty decent motor in the 5 meter range, let alone an aluminium size similar to this...
I almost bought a plastic once, a bigger variety, but as mentioned, I don't think there's to much advantage for a twin hull in this size.
I think this would be a Bare minimum hull, at best for your type and location that you'd be fishing, doesn't float my boat sorry.
I would be visiting the boat show and seriously looking harder at other options before you decide, or pull the trigger on this one.
30K, even in this inflated market, would still buy a fairly decent boat .....

Pdiddy24

Post by Pdiddy24 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:02 pm

ducky wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:44 pm

I don't think you'll reap any benefits in that size and honestly the mono hull tinnies of that size will probably give better performance.
I think in my mind just the stability of them and the level of floatation achieved. Deck space at that size as well. Open to new ideas too see what's out there. I know nothing about boats though so reaching out here to get opinions.

I don't think I'd back to a tinny to be honest. Had a 5.5m cc, nothing flash but ride wasn't great. Also, conscious of thre safety side of things a lot more now with limited and basic floatation of the tinnys.
The corrosion used drive me mad as well. It wasn't a sealed floor being a pressed hull so water would get down sides easily, and also washing it out. Forever checking under floor boards and maintenance wore me down a bit in the end with it.

Had seen a video on 445f cc by Johnsoms or something on The Captains video. That looked like a nice little setup

Pdiddy24

Post by Pdiddy24 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:17 pm

blacklab99 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:43 pm
So, from what I can make out on this, you'll be looking at around 20k boat and there trailer, plus motor, say 10 ish. ????

I think there are better options out there rather than sinking 30k into this set up, personally....

I like the plastic fantastics, but for 30K, you could get a seriously rebuilt small fibreglass boat with a pretty decent motor in the 5 meter range, let alone an aluminium size similar to this...
I almost bought a plastic once, a bigger variety, but as mentioned, I don't think there's to much advantage for a twin hull in this size.
I think this would be a Bare minimum hull, at best for your type and location that you'd be fishing, doesn't float my boat sorry.
I would be visiting the boat show and seriously looking harder at other options before you decide, or pull the trigger on this one.
30K, even in this inflated market, would still buy a fairly decent boat .....

Thanks for that. Need the reality check and def value the advice. and as you say once I start adding and trying to get it setup the way I'd want it's going to def tip well into the $30s.
I'll keep searching and see it where it progresses.

What boat do you havd now Blacklab? All good if not say
Any thoughts on how much more work fibreglass would be compared to alloy? Another reason looking at plastic is I tend to use crappier ramps when it's busy that bigger boats can't use

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:19 pm

Pdiddy24 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:02 pm
ducky wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:44 pm

I think in my mind just the stability of them and the level of floatation achieved. Deck space at that size as well. Open to new ideas too see what's out there. I know nothing about boats though so reaching out here to get opinions.

I don't think I'd back to a tinny to be honest. Had a 5.5m cc, nothing flash but ride wasn't great. Also, conscious of thre safety side of things a lot more now with limited and basic floatation of the tinnys.
The corrosion used drive me mad as well. It wasn't a sealed floor being a pressed hull so water would get down sides easily, and also washing it out. Forever checking under floor boards and maintenance wore me down a bit in the end with it.

Had seen a video on 445f cc by Johnsoms or something on The Captains video. That looked like a nice little setup
Cats have less floatation and less load capacity for the same size as a mono hull.

Cats have a softer ride at speed and higher initial stability but also some big cons.
Cons, trolling shudder, misting, less ultimate stability, less load baring.

Fiberglass monos are very efficient to build at this size say something like a Haines Signature 485SF, Haines Hunter 495, Whittley FF1650 would be worth considering.

Return to “Boating”