Safe Passage

Pedro

Safe Passage

Post by Pedro » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:15 pm

Would be most grateful for any advice re .. rather than going to Indented Head, if I was to launch at Point Richards and head to Grassy Point and even further afield to Prince George Bank, what are the hazards and other features I should be aware of to ensure safe passage?
Regards, PeterC

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Re: Safe Passage

Post by KeenAds » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:56 pm

I haven't been out from the new safe harbour at Point Richards since it opened a few weeks back but apart from the sand bar on the right hand side when heading out its a pretty safe run up to the Prince George Marker and beyond. I have done that trip many times no real hazards I can think of.

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:08 pm

Thanks, KeenAds; appreciate your reply.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:51 pm

Mussel farms definitely a hazard especially the dark

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:43 am

I use point richards a lot depending on how big your boat is it's ok all tides. With the rock groyne the entrance is 20mt wide keep to the right hand side when leaving because you can not see if a boat is coming in. There are temporary floating channel markers turn left as soon as you exit the entrance of the harbour you are then in the channel its about 1.3 mt deep.. if you look about 750 mt ahead in line with the challel marker you will see a single red marker if going to indented head head to that red marker before turning right it drops off there to about 7.5 mt there is a sand bank on the right that extends from the shore all the way out there where many people run aground.
Heading to grassy point no hazards till you pass portarlington harbour close to shore near Steele's Rock boat ramp there are many rocks just under the water I tend to stay well clear when travelling at speed and head for the mussel farm boundary marker. I personally do not enter the mussel farm but some people do. Between grassy point and st leonards there are numerous reefs if you know your cardinal marks you will have no trouble the most dangerous is governor reef you will definitely damage you outboard if you hit it it is just near the indented head boat ramp.
If you are unsure travel slowly there is a channel marked landside of governor reef plus cardinal marks. The local marine joint in port the owner tells me that's his most money making reef in summer. Hope this helps
To get to Prince George bank leaving portarlington once past the sandbank the only obstacle is the mussel farm if you keep it to your right. The depth of Prince George bank varies between 2.5 to 4 mt with isolated reefs marked with cardinal markers you need to know what the mean to ensure you pass them on the correct side. If you have a chart plotter all markers are shown

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:14 am

fishnut: appreciate your comment.

Nude up: thanks for the detail.Very informative. Will be very helpful.

Regards, PeterC

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:10 am

I was always under the impression mussel farms as well as other fisheries reserves were off limits to public and are clearly marked to identify these areas.

If you follow the rules like most people do they are not a hazard as they are clearly marked and identified.

Return to “Boating”