Buying new boat trailer - recommendations?

PhilN

Buying new boat trailer - recommendations?

Post by PhilN » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:34 pm

Hi folks,

My 22 year old dual axel trailer needs to go.... (Not bad given the constant salt water use). I need to buy a new dual axel one for a 5.75M glass boat ASAP. Fully rollered. I want to support local biz. as much as possible.
There seems at least two key local companies - one has very long lead times. One doesn't seem to - makes me worry a bit why...
WIthout slagging off a local company publicly can anyone give any recommendations on trailer brand? (or PM me directly if you have a bad story).
I'm thinking of sticking with steel but open to comments/suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Buying new boat trailer - recommendations?

Post by Nude up » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:55 pm

I bought an easy tow aluminium for my haines 650 7 years ago replaced the brake pads and wheel bearings this year great trailer. My mate has a haines 680 and has ordered an aluminium easy tow 6 months wait.
I have been fishing a lot with my neighbour who just bought a seajay side console 5mt it's on a savage steel c section trailer it's a really well made trailer

Russell Harris
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Russell Harris » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:00 am

Before selecting a potential supplier, do a desigh review of products on offer, against what you want. Recommend Galvanised Steel Box Section Frame, Not "C" Section, Welded construction with strategically place drain holes in frame to allow water to drain. Dunbiar trailes have a good reputation. - Use google to find "Best Boat Trailers Australia"

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:16 am

C CHANNEL is fine if you look after them. Wash thoroughly after use, not just spend 2 dollars in the wash down and be gone..

Box section even with drain holes are not going to get fresh water inside to wash the salt off. Box is fine if you can manage to flush the insides of it, otherwise it will rust from the inside.

Open frame will always be a win there, wether it be "I" beam or "C" channel.

Alloy would be the best, but comes at a price.

Most trailer manufacturers are pretty decent these days, get multiple quotes and see how you go. Be aware of lead times, materials availability and the likes, which atm is long wait times in most industries.
Savage do make some awesome trailers..

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:30 am

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:16 am
C CHANNEL is fine if you look after them. Wash thoroughly after use, not just spend 2 dollars in the wash down and be gone..

Box section even with drain holes are not going to get fresh water inside to wash the salt off. Box is fine if you can manage to flush the insides of it, otherwise it will rust from the inside.

Open frame will always be a win there, wether it be "I" beam or "C" channel.

Alloy would be the best, but comes at a price.

Most trailer manufacturers are pretty decent these days, get multiple quotes and see how you go. Be aware of lead times, materials availability and the likes, which atm is long wait times in most industries.
Savage do make some awesome trailers..
I agree with Purple on everything here.
Ive got a box section steel Dunbier.... it's a POS & a nightmare to clean. If I had my time again, I'd get an alloy Easytow or Savage

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:34 pm

Mackay roller trailer best design and quality IMO.

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:37 pm

Sparkes mobile trailer repairs in moolap will make a trailer for you Dan's a fisho as well

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:16 pm

After completely rebuilding a dunbier tandem trailer including strip and regalvanizing I would never buy a box section trailer again trying to get the electrical cable through the box section with the scale rust now galvanised in clumps. For the sake of a little extra weight I would go C or I beam construction easy to clean no spots for water to collect.
As a point of interest my aluminium trailer is 1 mt longer but weighs 50 kg less than my steel trailer that cracked through the drain holes in the cross members 2 completely and the last one 3 of the 4 sides.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:32 pm

frozenpod wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:34 pm
Mackay roller trailer best design and quality IMO.
Dunbier bought Mackay out years ago and manufacture them side by side.

There's Easytow and Savage. Then you've got the import and put together here Precision and Towrex.

PhilN

Post by PhilN » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:10 pm

Thanks all - lots of good advice.
Easytow keeps coming up in other discussions. Will call and check out the lead time….

Return to “Boating”