Handheld spotlight recommendations

beefy

Handheld spotlight recommendations

Post by beefy » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:48 pm

Shouldn't be too long before I'm launching and motoring out in the dark or coming in when it's dark.

In my ignorance I was going to fit the boat with a couple of "headlights", pointing down of course. However, from what I've read seems like that's a very bad idea and may invoke the wrath of other boaters, as well as attract the marine police. Looks like I just need to use the GPS/sounder at night and only use a handheld spotlight if/when it's needed.

So, looking at a powerful 12v rechargeable handheld spotlight. Looking to spend about $100 give or take a bit.
Anyone got any recommendations for one to buy, I live around the Frankston area.

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Handheld spotlight recommendations

Post by russellh2 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:36 pm

Have a look at the "eiger 2 in 1, 700 Lumens LED Rechargeable Torch"

beefy

Post by beefy » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:33 pm

russellh2 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:36 pm
Have a look at the "eiger 2 in 1, 700 Lumens LED Rechargeable Torch"
Thanks Russel, I'll check it out.

cahoona
Has liked: 15 times

Post by cahoona » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:50 pm

Put a led light bar on plenty of boats with them on

dmck
Has liked: 35 times

Post by dmck » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:23 pm

also keep your eyes on Aldi catalogs. They have a really good rechargable handheld for around $35.00

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:49 pm

I can definitely vouch for one of those spotlight/lantern type of designs, having the option to have a wider 180 degree beam is incredibly handy.

Light bar could also be a good option.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:25 pm

I've tried a lot of things. Ultimately anything you use inside the boat is going to cause flash blindness when it hits a reflective surface in the boat.

I put one of the STEDI marine spot lights on the top of the bowsprit when I re did the boat. Some of the best money I've spent to be honest. (It's not anywhere near as crooked as it looks in that pic but it was tig welded on in the dark at 11pm on the rush to finish the build last year)

If you can mount one on your boat it'll save a lot of lost vision. And it's no where near as obnoxious as a light bar. I'll comfortably run up on the plane at night time with it because it lights up all poles/boats and other items for me. Haven't done long trips but a few 1-2km runs with the scaler bag out the back.
Attachments
FAA71EC6-5153-4FDE-846B-39EE91B4D061.jpeg

beefy

Post by beefy » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:07 am

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
ducky wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:25 pm
I've tried a lot of things. Ultimately anything you use inside the boat is going to cause flash blindness when it hits a reflective surface in the boat.

I put one of the STEDI marine spot lights on the top of the bowsprit when I re did the boat. Some of the best money I've spent to be honest. (It's not anywhere near as crooked as it looks in that pic but it was tig welded on in the dark at 11pm on the rush to finish the build last year)

If you can mount one on your boat it'll save a lot of lost vision. And it's no where near as obnoxious as a light bar. I'll comfortably run up on the plane at night time with it because it lights up all poles/boats and other items for me. Haven't done long trips but a few 1-2km runs with the scaler bag out the back.
Ducky do you know the model of your Stedi light.

I may have been going overkill with my choice and can get away with something not as powerful.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:50 am

Stedi marine c-4 spot.

A mate has the flood. I haven't compared them side by side but I get a good narrow beam with distance.

If you're putting around slower maybe a flood would be better.

beefy

Post by beefy » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:52 pm

ducky wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:50 am
Stedi marine c-4 spot.

A mate has the flood. I haven't compared them side by side but I get a good narrow beam with distance.

If you're putting around slower maybe a flood would be better.
Thanks Ducky,

might even try installing both and have an ON-OFF-ON switch to select between the two. I've have separate switches so I could use both at once but my Etec engine only gives out a max of 25 amps above 3000 rpm.

For anyone's reference, I've just splashed out $130 on a floating hand held torch from Jaycar. Supposed to give out 4500 Lumens, it floats, and has full power, low power, and SOS modes.

Return to “Boating”