Good place for newbie to practice outboard operation

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Re: Good place for newbie to practice outboard operation

Post by Seniorfisho » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:56 am

HK_Freedom wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:58 pm
Wow, that must be a little scary in the storm without propulsion. Did you have a EPIRB with you?

Seniorfisho wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:31 pm
HK_Freedom wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:08 pm
Sebb wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:59 am
HK_Freedom wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:49 am
Thank you all for the advice. I will certainly try out the Werribee river to see how it goes. I’ve actually passed the boating license test but still no experience what so ever. My difficulty now is that my social circle here in Australia is still kind of small. Thus, it would be highly appreciated if any one here wouldn’t mind to could take me as an over aged observer to learn when you go out to the sea. Just a thought. I am currently in Balwyn North.
Appreciated for all the advice anyway!
Have you been on an inflatable boat before? And I hope it's a good inflatable.
It's stable but diff to a normal boat or even hard kayak.

I did once, fished around princess pier in Port Melbourne, inflatable boat and electric motor. Pick a really low wind and north wind. You can catch fish close to land, pretty popular spot so you can get help quickly if needed.

Fish around here and don't go too far. In close is about 3-4m deep and further is about 4-7m. Really watch the weather, especially the wind forecast.

Currently I am looking at the Tobin Sport inflatable. The idea is I can use for rivers if I upgrade in the future when I can master boating a little better. Not sure if that is a rational plan. LOL

Let me try the Werribee river first, then here in the sea. Thanks!
You are going to love being on an inflatable up the werribee river, I used to take mine up there, with a 10hp motor she gets up on the plain and just flies across the water. One day I got caught in a storm out of Point Cook and I couldn't start the motor because it was too rough. I just sat down and let the wind and waves take me right back to shore, it just floated above all the turbulant water
Nah, no epurb, the wind was blowing towards the shore, so it just blew me back to land

Kennyboy
Has liked: 22 times

Post by Kennyboy » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:26 pm

Join a bayside fishing club, am sure members of such clubs would be willing to help

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:22 pm

Heaps of people out on the water with NFI at this time of the year....go cruising around Patterson Lakes and stop in for a beer to calm the nerves at the marina.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:27 pm

Buy 4 meter tin can if you have not purchased a boat.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

HK_Freedom
Has liked: 13 times

Post by HK_Freedom » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:26 pm

Just got the inflatable boat with trolling motor. Had a trial going upstream for 2km in Werribee river from the boat. A little scary as it was a little windy today and the motor was not very powerful. I will try to see if I can find a calmer place to train myself up a little more before buying an outboard. Thank you so much for all your suggestions!

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:26 am

HK_Freedom wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:26 pm
Just got the inflatable boat with trolling motor. Had a trial going upstream for 2km in Werribee river from the boat. A little scary as it was a little windy today and the motor was not very powerful. I will try to see if I can find a calmer place to train myself up a little more before buying an outboard. Thank you so much for all your suggestions!
Pick the right weather is very important.
South wind in Werribee is not a good idea.
Choose offshore wind and I'd say less than 25kmh.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:07 am

HK_Freedom wrote:
You'll feel much safer with an outboard, she will glide on the water

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:23 pm

HK_Freedom wrote:
Whats the maximum horsepower recommended for your boat?

HK_Freedom
Has liked: 13 times

Post by HK_Freedom » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:12 pm

Maximum recommended for the SIB is 30HP.

Mattblack wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:23 pm
HK_Freedom wrote:
Whats the maximum horsepower recommended for your boat?

Return to “Boating”