Which 5.5m boat for offshore?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Which 5.5m boat for offshore?

Post by frozenpod » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:46 pm

We bought a new Haines Hunter it is ok.

Nothing major to complain about.

The Haines Hunter has a better helm and cabin setup but the transom setup is not as good as Haines Signature.

Haines Signature helm and cabin setup is terrible and honestly the haines hunter transom setup is terrible.

If you could mix the front half with the back half you would have the perfect setup....

Ultimately in the end you have to pick one and make the best of it. The fitout quality etc of both brands was very similar.

There is no doubt Cruise Craft has a better fit and finish than either haines.

WiseMax
Has liked: 2 times

Post by WiseMax » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:48 pm

To be honest I can handle helm and layout issues. What I’m really after is good build quality and a hull that handles the sea well and provides good ride quality

mr plow

Post by mr plow » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:02 pm

Best bet going for a ride your self cause everyone will have their own opinion. For example I have a seafarer Ventura same hull as a Viking. I reckon it punches will about its weight. More you push it the better it is. As regards hains I don't like the layout. Crusicraft fitout is very nice. Have you looked at a caribbean make a good soild bit at a good price

WiseMax
Has liked: 2 times

Post by WiseMax » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:06 pm

I’ll check out the Caribbeans too. I like the look and layout of the seafarer. I’d buy their 6m without question If I can afford it but it may be a stretch cos I’ll need to get a new tow vehicle. I’ve been curious about the 19 degree dead rise on the Viking when compared with a deeper v on other glass boats

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:56 pm

frozenpod wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:58 am
cobby wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:24 am
frozenpod wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:19 am
WiseMax wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:07 am
Hi everyone, I’ve seen some awesome advice on this forum so thought I’d try it out myself.

I currently have a quintrex 4.5 runabout and I’m looking to upgrade to a glass boat for offshore fishing, generally going to reefs or hugging the coast.

I’m at a price point where I’ve narrowed it down to the following boats, and I’d like a view on how they ride in the sea and chop if anyone has experience:

1. Haines Signature 545f (which is the 543 hull in a cuddy cabin I believe;

2. Seafarer Viking

3. Cruise Craft 568.

Are these suitable for heading out when conditions get sloppy or should I look at a larger boat? I’m really sticking to this size due to budget and towing considerations. Any views appreciated !
If you are buying a boat for offshore use best to go bigger ie 6m. Ideally the biggest you can afford to buy, store and tow.

Of those boats the 545F is really a 5.2m hull and whilst a great 5.2m hull it is smaller than the rest.

Viking has a hard ride and is wet, but extremely stable.

The cruise craft 568 I haven't seen this model before but it looks like a typical cruise craft they are well finished stable but known for a hard ride.

Other boats you could look at that are made in victoria is caribbean, haines hunter, whittley.

All these 3 will ride better than the Viking and cruise craft and all have pros and cons.
You really hate the Viking... Yet I don't mind it.

The CC 568 is nothing more than 38 added to the 530 Explorer of a few years ago
The reality is that they are hard and wet and don't handle all that well but they are brilliant at rest.

I thought that could be the case re cruise craft probably just a bow sprit included in the overall length instead of the hull length.
Trim it high and let it fly was the owners motto, we did a very comfortable 28ish knots in a solid 1m PPB chop. That said, the boat did spent most of its time running on what seemed like only the half pod, tabs and air. It was slightly wet, but far better than a V17 and wasn't any different to a 580SF in ride.

Atleast CC only added 38 to the number, unlike Backcrusher adding 55....

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:14 pm

WiseMax wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:51 pm
I’m happy to look at other recommendations you guys have also. I’ve heard lots of mixed reviews about new Haines Hunters so that has confused me - there’s also so many different models. Which would you recommend?

I could also consider a signature 580rf but too much bigger throws me over budget.

If I get to the point where I’m prepared to spend 90k on a boat I think I’d just get an edencraft 565 or a gunshot
Sticking to weight/budget throw in Northbanks 550c, similar walk through cuddy as the 545F but in my opinion a better transom set up and the moulded floor is nicer than the flowcoat/hatches of the Signature.

Hunter models that would fit would be the 535 sportsfish. It's the same as a 530 breeze from years ago. You MAY squeeze in a 565R, and a very tight stretch would be the 580 sportsfish, which is essentially a 560F from the mid 90s with a redesigned top deck.

Caribbeans Concorde will fit, you'd struggle to move up a size to the Cavalier.

Whittley FF1950. It's a Savage Mako tricked up Whittley style.

Outside of that you either drop down a level, Yalta, Revival etc or go up a level to Edencraft, Razorcraft etc

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:49 pm

WiseMax wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:06 pm
I’ll check out the Caribbeans too. I like the look and layout of the seafarer. I’d buy their 6m without question If I can afford it but it may be a stretch cos I’ll need to get a new tow vehicle. I’ve been curious about the 19 degree dead rise on the Viking when compared with a deeper v on other glass boats
It is not just the deadrise at the transom but how it changes along the lenght of the boat.

For example a good soft hull will only have deadrise angle for 1/3rd of the lenght of the hull before becoming steeper, often 35-45 and midship then increasing to 45-55deg at the bow.

A viking has the same 19 deg from the transome up to about 70% of the hull before getting steeper.
t
F21 is known to be on of the softest riding boats around and transom deadrise is 20 deg.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:57 am

I’ll be generic and go the common response:

Ec565 or razor/coota craft gunshot fits the bill

If budget is less than just go the Haines alternatives, v17 or 565. I’ve seen a few of both on Facebook pages of recently that were priced nicely without a heap of Haines+covid tax added on. These are probably going to be the best offshore boats at that ~5.5m size.

Caribbean Intruder are really nice also

Edit: I just realised you said new, so ignore most of the above info.

If I were buying a new boat on a budget I’d be looking at a yaltacraft 2000 fisherman. Full BMT package with a 135 Honda for around 55k. You cannot beat that for value. Really good riding hulls too with a 22deg deadrise

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:56 am

To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:00 am

I have not ridden in a north bank but was impressed with them at boat shows in comparison to the Haines.

They came across as a well built boat that was designed for fishing.

Return to “Boating”