Purchasing a Tinny

MasterBaiter24
Has liked: 36 times

Purchasing a Tinny

Post by MasterBaiter24 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:08 pm

Hi all,

I've been thinking about buying a tinnie as theyre quite cheap for a few grand second hand, is there anything I should look out for/beware of when buying? I'm gonna be mainly using in ppb, sometimes in westernport

Cheers

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Purchasing a Tinny

Post by hornet » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:36 pm

When you go to inspect the boat ask the owner to fill the boat with water up to just past the chines, if he refuses walk away, hair line cracks in metal is hard to see, also if the alloy is corroding tiny pin hole hardly show,especially if painted, I found a tiny hole in the tinny I bought this way, it was caused by a sinker left in the bottom of the hull under a support bar, luckily it was only one hole about 1/8th of an inch so it was an easy fix ,a blind rivet and sikaflex did the job, but unless the floor is removed it's a lucky dip, even then you wont see under the support bars.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:34 am

Buy something 4 meter plus.
Try n take it for test run b4 purchase.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:58 am

MasterBaiter24 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:08 pm
Hi all,

I've been thinking about buying a tinnie as theyre quite cheap for a few grand second hand, is there anything I should look out for/beware of when buying? I'm gonna be mainly using in ppb, sometimes in westernport

Cheers
I've had quite a few over the years and haven't had any structural problems with any of them, it's the motor that can often be a problem and the trailer

MasterBaiter24
Has liked: 36 times

Post by MasterBaiter24 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:44 am

hornet wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:36 pm
When you go to inspect the boat ask the owner to fill the boat with water up to just past the chines, if he refuses walk away, hair line cracks in metal is hard to see, also if the alloy is corroding tiny pin hole hardly show,especially if painted, I found a tiny hole in the tinny I bought this way, it was caused by a sinker left in the bottom of the hull under a support bar, luckily it was only one hole about 1/8th of an inch so it was an easy fix ,a blind rivet and sikaflex did the job, but unless the floor is removed it's a lucky dip, even then you wont see under the support bars.
how did a sinker cause a hole in the tinny?

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:32 am

MasterBaiter24 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:44 am
hornet wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:36 pm
how did a sinker cause a hole in the tinny?

Below explains it better than I can, in short be mindful with what metals come in contact with an aluminum boat, also what type of paints are used ...

https://powerboatmagazine.co.nz/counter ... loy-boats/

Galvanic corrosion is caused by the flow of electric current set up when dissimilar metals are in electrical contact with an electrolyte such as seawater. This current flows from one metal to the other through the seawater and returns through a metallic circuit or any other electrical conductor that may exist between metals.

The direction of the flow of current will depend on the nature of the materials; the one from which the current enters the water forms an anode and will corrode and the other forming a cathode, will not suffer corrosion. While the current actually flowing may be very small indeed, it is a continuous process and the resulting corrosion can reach very serious proportions.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Return to “Boating”