Bay boat worth it.

ryanp
Has liked: 1 time

Bay boat worth it.

Post by ryanp » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:06 pm

Hey gang, new user here and new to Victoria. Just a quick question in regards to if a bay boat is a decent boat for port Phillip and offshore down here, I’m originally from the territory and had a 6m quintrex bluewater, now I’m down here I’m leaning towards a glass boat and am weighing up wether to go a bay boat (220-240 viper) or a centre console bluewater glass boat, again a 206-228 commander or 240 outrage etc. I’m used to plenty of chop on the water and know my limits there but I don’t know much about swell being from the north. I know a bay boat is decent in the chop but I don’t wanna be 40k offshore and the wether turns on me and I get most of the bass strait in the boat as I’d never hear the end of it from the missus, but I also don’t want to be limited in where I can access in the shallow waters etc if I go a dedicated bluewater boat. Any advice would be helpful. Cheers

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Re: Bay boat worth it.

Post by ben475 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:16 pm

be interesting to see what reply's you get here.

for offshore id be looking at something with a cabin.

ryanp

Post by ryanp » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:30 pm

Yeah I’m keen to know, a few people have suggested getting a cabin but I personally not a fan of them as it limits the fishing space, and would be a p**** getting to the electric motor up front. And with a centre console I’ll just get a canvas cover made so I can run a heater when I do overnights in the swag on it.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:57 pm

Hi I have a 650 haines offshore classic and do a bit of off shore work know and then marlin,tuna kingies etc. I live on the bellarine so fish port Phillip bay quite often. No offence but do you know how cold the water is in winter. I often overnight in my boat in the cabin especially around September.
I find 50% of American boats are lake boats with no freeboard to lean against in high swells when hooked up. If you want a 24ft boat with plenty of fishing space get a bass straight 24.
You will not find too many centre console big glass boats in Victoria a bit of spray and your bollocks will be living next to your Adams apple.

ryanp

Post by ryanp » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:18 pm

Yea I’ve gone through 2 winters down here and I haven’t been impressed with them to be honest haha far to cold for my warm blood, to be quite honest during winter I’ll be out bush searching for deer most days off so the few days I do go on the boat over winter I’ll just cover up and cruise along, yea the bass straight would be nice but about double the price range of what I’m looking for, I’m going to import the boat as even with the fees associated with customs etc I can get a solid boat at a lot better price, and that includes flying over to look at it. Can I ask at what swell and wind knots does it start to get hairy in the Haines?

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:27 pm

I recently went to bermagui in my mates haines 680 patriot. We look at the forecast and if the wind is going to get up in the arvo as usual we like to come home with the wind so plan where we are going to ensure we come home with the wind. We are comfortable up to 20 knots then it's time to come home. Above 20 knots the waves start to break and you run the risk of getting rolled.
There is no bar at bermie so no issues getting in.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:31 pm

The yanks are big on self draining decks at the expense of freeboard which I like I just feel more secure. But that's a personal choice.

ryanp

Post by ryanp » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:44 pm

Yea 20knots would be my limit, I love catching fish but no fish is worth me sinking the boat, or even worse smashing the bottle of rum in the esky haha. And I’m glad you mentioned the bar because they are something I’d be a novice at, I’ve been in hairy waters in boats that shouldn’t have been in them but now I’m older with kids I don’t want to risk a bar with no real idea of what I should be doing. To be fair the bar is the main reason I am undecided on what boat to get, originally I was looking at a 620 yellowfin rear console but it’s not really a bar boat in my opinion so I’ve narrowed down the list to a few glass boats, the multiple uses of a viper appeal to me. I need to meet people and hit them up to take me out on a rough day to see how bad it gets in a boat in the bay and beyond I think

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:25 pm

Yeah nah you won't hack using a console between March and December except for those few warm days if you struggled through winter not on a boat. Where not talking a bash in Darwin harbour with days of glass water at a lovely 25° with air temps in the 30s or a run up to the Tiwis. **** blows up randomly when it feels like it, and if you're out wide in the strait, you will get wet. In September that means 12° water and a lovely warm 18° air temp. And since you can't hack it on land, once you're wet you sure as **** won't hack it. There's a reason why 95% of boats used more than 5 times a year in this state are cabin/runabouts with cover of some form including full blown wheelhouse style hard tops (but not those stupid pergolas qlders use...).

What fishing do you want to do? If an electric is an absolute must then a centrecab/walkaround still allows you to get up front fairly easily whilst giving adequate shelter, or buy a cabin boat and stump up the cash for an auto deploy Minn kota

ryanp

Post by ryanp » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:10 am

cheers for the input there cobby, yes I haven't seen the bay glassed out the same way as it does up north. I've felt the cold already in a 3.7 tinny out there a few times and haven't enjoyed getting wet, but it was no colder then then running through the high country chasing bambi through the rain and snow for days at a time. and come those colder months it will be just me going out alone in it so I'm willing to deal with the temps and spray. in regards to fishing I plan on targeting squid and prawns and flatties through to the big tuna and kingies, pretty much ill target what i can for the conditions on the water on the day, if i can pump it out 40k off shore then excellent but if its turned into a washing machine ill target inshore speices or head to fresh water. couple of mates have had those self deploys and they work well, when they don't start playing up haha, I want a boat that is comfortable at the front of lakes entrance and also at lake eildon etc. I work an even time roster so ill also be doing plenty of fishing trips all over vic and nsw and beyond. I haven't seen to many bay boats down here so haven't been able to ask anyone, and going into a boat shop the salesman seem to want to sell me any boat they can without being straight forward with me.

Return to “Boating”