What kind of boat do I need?

SamIamNot

What kind of boat do I need?

Post by SamIamNot » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:08 am

I'm moving from Melbourne to Wellington Shire in Gippsland and would like to buy a boat to get me around the area of Port Welshpool and Port Albert, not going out to sea. I've never skippered a boat other than a hire boat on the Mallacoota lakes. My main concern is safety, second is cost and 3rd is getting fish. I can't get fish if I can't afford the boat, otherwise fish would be 2nd ;-) So I'm wondering what style of boat and how much I would have to spend. I'm not too sure of the conditions in the area, wave height, etc. I intend for my fishing and boating to be as relaxed and tame as possible - I hate jet skis, I love wooden paddle boats. I will need a motor for this one though due to back issues. Thanks in advance.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: What kind of boat do I need?

Post by frozenpod » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:12 am

For this area a 18ft plus glass boat is what you need.

What is your budget.

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: What kind of boat do I need?

Post by re-tyred » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:02 pm

Welshpool can really kick up in strong winds and tides are strong. If you only have a small boat you will need to know the weather very well. Corner inlet is notorious for strong winds. Pt Albert is somewhat more sheltered, but still a place to be very cautious.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Boating”