DIY Sparkie

dmck
Has liked: 35 times

Re: DIY Sparkie

Post by dmck » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:38 pm

Couple more things....
When you connect the 2 battery negatives together, use the same cable that goes to the motor... you never know when you may need to start your motor on the 'house ' battery and you dont want to burn the wire... I accidently did one time!

If you are terminating bare wires in to screw terminal blocks, then use these on the end. They make a better screw connection and they minimise wire breakage . You can put several wires in the one tube, the tube is 'crushed' with a special tool.

I sometimes use then to join wires... break off the plastic, slide a tube AND heatshrink over 1 wire , twist the wires together, slide the tube over =, crush and heat-shrink. You get a very strong, electrically sound connection. If you need it 'water-proof' use the heatshrink with glue inside. (dont know what it is called.

https://www.red2go.com.au/bootlace-terminals/
bootlace.jpg
bootlace.jpg (3.61 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Check out an electrical wholesaler for the tools to see what they look like... then check JAYCAR.

If you are using spade terminals, dont use the typical auto-parts type
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100Pcs-Term ... ctupt=true

They are bulky and the crimps are really not too secure.

Use this style....
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Crimp-AU-El ... %3A2334524

... again... they need a special tool... but the effect is a professional finish. I cover the crimp and the terminal with heat-shrink where necessary.
These style crimps are available for a range of terminal types, I use spade and bullet mainly.

Hope this all helps...

dmck

Post by dmck » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:44 pm

OH...
if I need eye/ring style connectors

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100x-Yellow ... 1195.m1851

I pull the plastic insulation off, crimp the wire tight and heatshrink the crimp. Use a long (30mm) bit of heatshrink, the length strengthens the wire where it comes out of the connector...

I have just found these... which I will look for locally to have some on hand...
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100x-Non-In ... SwEh1e4rKm

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:27 pm

dmck wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:38 pm
Couple more things....
When you connect the 2 battery negatives together, use the same cable that goes to the motor... you never know when you may need to start your motor on the 'house ' battery and you dont want to burn the wire... I accidently did one time!

If you are terminating bare wires in to screw terminal blocks, then use these on the end. They make a better screw connection and they minimise wire breakage . You can put several wires in the one tube, the tube is 'crushed' with a special tool.

I sometimes use then to join wires... break off the plastic, slide a tube AND heatshrink over 1 wire , twist the wires together, slide the tube over =, crush and heat-shrink. You get a very strong, electrically sound connection. If you need it 'water-proof' use the heatshrink with glue inside. (dont know what it is called.

https://www.red2go.com.au/bootlace-terminals/
bootlace.jpg

Check out an electrical wholesaler for the tools to see what they look like... then check JAYCAR.

If you are using spade terminals, dont use the typical auto-parts type
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100Pcs-Term ... ctupt=true

They are bulky and the crimps are really not too secure.

Use this style....
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Crimp-AU-El ... %3A2334524

... again... they need a special tool... but the effect is a professional finish. I cover the crimp and the terminal with heat-shrink where necessary.
These style crimps are available for a range of terminal types, I use spade and bullet mainly.

Hope this all helps...

dmck wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:44 pm
OH...
if I need eye/ring style connectors

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100x-Yellow ... 1195.m1851

I pull the plastic insulation off, crimp the wire tight and heatshrink the crimp. Use a long (30mm) bit of heatshrink, the length strengthens the wire where it comes out of the connector...

I have just found these... which I will look for locally to have some on hand...
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100x-Non-In ... SwEh1e4rKm
Bugger !!!!

All of the above are great advice DMCK :tu: Will keep this in my if I takes on another wiring project, However, I have already jumped the gun and got most of the connectors and lugs from Jaycar.

Started working on the wiring for the circuit board to be attached under the CC. Mostly connecting the MIDI fuse blocks to circuits linking the ACR unit as well as the Battery switch output to the fuseblock.

Also prepared the wirings to be conected to the panel switch but leaving the other ends open until the circuit board secured in its place.

The rest of the wiring will be done on the day when we put the console back into its original position.

Here's the pic of the circuit board partially wired up
Wiring_CircuitBoard_01.jpg

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

dmck

Post by dmck » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:07 pm

Hey, if your happy and it works fore you...... then it is EXCELLENT.
Seems to be plenty of heat shrink!
Oh.. and it looks like ther is a fair bit of 'spare' wiring. Most people make it too tight and its a KSPINTA to fault find.
It looks neat and tidy... and that means it can be traced for maintenance.

Most impt thing is that linking cable between the batteries.
Ps... any fish scales still on the board? :)

VooDoo

Post by VooDoo » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:50 pm

LoL :)

You got eagle eyes there DMCK :tu: No fish scales as yet but hopefully there's plenty when the boat improvement projects are done. What's more appropriate than a poly cutting board for a Polycraft - no rust or rot or electrolysis to worry about. Kind of enjoying the experience of making the boat better actually.

I know it's over killed with some of the items but when you do it for yourself you tend to get carried away. There's always options for additional electric devices down the track and it's comfort to know it's there if and when you need it.

Thanks for the tip regarding the negative cable size for the connection between the 2 batteries - save me lots of pains and kaching$ down the track. Will souce the same gauge as the engine cable.

VooDoo

Post by VooDoo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:49 pm

Wiring Project Update!!

The theoretical and electrical board set up was easy - installing and rewiring an old boat is a totally new experience ... a tedious and PITA job as I found out. This is more so when you have a small and tight space to work with under the centre console.

It is trotting along at a slow pace but it is getting there.

Was too busy getting the work done so no pics of the progress but will get some snaps of the finished project when done and dusted - hopefully this weekend weather and time permitting.

Will write up a more detailed report as to what to do and what's not to do .. hopefully someone will benefits from my experience.

Cheers and tight line :tu:

dmck

Post by dmck » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:44 am

VooDoo wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:49 pm
installing and rewiring an old boat is a totally new experience ... a tedious and PITA job as I found out. This is more so when you have a small and tight space to work with under the centre console.
Aint this the truth..
I have just spent many, many hours rewiring a friends yacht. I'm 6'4" (193cm for those who dont know imperial measurements....) , 120kg and 71yo
It was quite an effort manipulating my no longer supple body into positions to run and affix wiring, let alone terminate it safely.......

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon May 31, 2021 9:59 pm

Figured I’d put this here for all the resident gurus to provide feedback on.

Have got a lithium lifepo4 hybrid crank battery (25Ah with super capacitor)

The Auxillary is a battery Im putting together using 3.2V 105AH lifepo4 cells in 4S2P giving 12.8V and 210AH. This will fit behind the casting deck bulkhead in a space 960mm long x 45mm deep x 210mm high.

Got an emergency parallel hooked up to the isolators.

Charge provided via a ctek250se. It has a lithium mode. Also allows me to throw a solar panel on if I ever desire too (jeez would have to be a long trip to chew up 210Ah

Anyway take a look. I’ve probably made a stupid error somewhere.

dmck

Post by dmck » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:34 am

I cant see anything obvious,
What rating circuit breakers did you use?

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:54 pm

Havent used anything yet. Planning it out on paper. But it’ll be rated to the current draw of the load and cables sized accordingly.

Probably 1 x 50A and 1 x 60A coming off the auxiliary to the switchboard and leccy respectively. Then a 50A between crank and outboard give or take.

Return to “Boating”