$100,000 question.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: $100,000 question.

Post by cobby » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:20 pm

In order of desirability rebuilt Haines, Razor, Eden, Extreme, Stabi, Mclay, Yalta. Resale value in 15-20 years is pretty much the same order.
The Yalta is the boat you buy to do most things decently, to a budget when really you want one of the others. The Mclay is the same on the tin side, it's the Extreme Lite. Stabi because you don't care about spending 10k extra for the name whilst getting something uglier but on par with the Mclay. Extreme because you want to go all out on a production plate boat and don't really have the car to tow 3-3.5t of glass boat for 6 hours to the other side of the state or to Bermi. Rebuilt Haines because you know what you're getting into, if it's been done by a reputable shop. Razorcraft because you want love the 17L but want slightly bigger. Edencraft because it's a 565 but brand new and the moulded half door looks the bomb, only caveat being how much affect the changes have had to the hull. Even though the plank was tiny on the original 565s, is it detrimental to the low speed planing ability and cruising ride? Does the increased flare bury into waves when running with them? Which would absolutely ******* suck when coming in over a bar.

That said, of the list I'd go the new 565

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:51 am

cobby wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:20 pm
In order of desirability rebuilt Haines, Razor, Eden, Extreme, Stabi, Mclay, Yalta. Resale value in 15-20 years is pretty much the same order.
The Yalta is the boat you buy to do most things decently, to a budget when really you want one of the others. The Mclay is the same on the tin side, it's the Extreme Lite. Stabi because you don't care about spending 10k extra for the name whilst getting something uglier but on par with the Mclay. Extreme because you want to go all out on a production plate boat and don't really have the car to tow 3-3.5t of glass boat for 6 hours to the other side of the state or to Bermi. Rebuilt Haines because you know what you're getting into, if it's been done by a reputable shop. Razorcraft because you want love the 17L but want slightly bigger. Edencraft because it's a 565 but brand new and the moulded half door looks the bomb, only caveat being how much affect the changes have had to the hull. Even though the plank was tiny on the original 565s, is it detrimental to the low speed planing ability and cruising ride? Does the increased flare bury into waves when running with them? Which would absolutely ******* suck when coming in over a bar.

565 is my pick too

The captain said it’s night and day better riding than the original 565. He said the new EC600 is even better though

🤔

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:31 am

Kimtown wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:51 am
cobby wrote:

565 is my pick too

The captain said it’s night and day better riding than the original 565. He said the new EC600 is even better though

🤔
In the captains review what resonated with me was a thumbs down on the 565 being a boat where "3's a crowd". Spending 90+k on a boat that cant fit 3 blokes comfortably is silly IMO.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:01 am

Robbie1950 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:31 am
Kimtown wrote:
cobby wrote:

565 is my pick too

🤔
In the captains review what resonated with me was a thumbs down on the 565 being a boat where "3's a crowd". Spending 90+k on a boat that cant fit 3 blokes comfortably is silly IMO.
You’re not wrong

3 is a crowd on pretty much all boats up to around 6.2m though imo

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:37 am

Robbie1950 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
cobby wrote:

565 is my pick too

🤔
Who the **** wants to fish with 3+ anyway? Only need 1 on controls/net/gaff/tag and 1 to actually fight the fish. And you're sweating on yet another person to bail out pre trip leaving you up **** creek without a paddle. 2 is all you ever need

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:42 am

cobby wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:37 am
Robbie1950 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
cobby wrote:

565 is my pick too

🤔
Who the **** wants to fish with 3+ anyway? Only need 1 on controls/net/gaff/tag and 1 to actually fight the fish. And you're sweating on yet another person to bail out pre trip leaving you up **** creek without a paddle. 2 is all you ever need
3rd guy is the designated photographer :-D

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:57 am

cobby wrote:
Robbie1950 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
cobby wrote:

565 is my pick too

🤔
3rd is the skier

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Post by A-a-ron » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:59 am

cobby wrote:
Robbie1950 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
cobby wrote:

565 is my pick too

🤔
Who the **** has 3 friends that want to fish? Hahaha

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:11 pm

Kimtown wrote:

565 is my pick too
🤔
I think the original he was referring to had a dodgy rebuild and was fitted with a 300hp motor. The package had stability issues as by the sounds of it the transom was massively overloaded.

Also he said the ride of the new EC565 was better than the EC600 but not as good as a Gunshot.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:13 pm

cobby wrote:
Easy if you have family. We often fish 3 or 4.

Return to “Boating”