Caribbean concorde

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Caribbean concorde

Post by purple5ive » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:45 am

Wooly bugger has one of those im pretty sure, but its been a while since he showed his face here.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:38 am

bowl wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:30 am
e.welch wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:23 am
bowl wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:45 am
cobby wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:34 pm
A good decent hull that's neither crap nor the best. Expect a bit of spray from any chop 45-90° side on, don't expect a ride like a 17L, but they aren't garbage either and far more stable than the Haines, the fuel tank is actually 150L and not the advertised 110L (even the bloke who makes the tanks for international marine has nfi why they don't advertise them as 150 even though they are stamped 150...) so upsize the fire extinguisher to stay legal and covered by insurance! Cabin is more than enough for kids and most adults under 6ft. Take out the rear seat cushions and you can fish right at the transom on either side of the engine well. They're capable offshore even when it turns crap if the skipper is also capable.

Things to look out for is the fuel tank cover. It's only been brushed very roughly with flowcoat and is the first thing to crap out, especially if the floor is carpeted. It's an easy fix even diy with a new piece of ply glassed on both sides and then flowcoat the top and screwed back down. And the disc on the top of the seat pedestals is probably broken making rotating the seats harder and making a creaking sound with weight movements, no biggie really. They are built with ply so there is a possibility of a clapped out transom or stringers, but the Caribbeans aren't as prone as say a Haines of similar vintage to have major issues. Sticking your head in the bilge area and looking back towards the fuel tank with a light will tell a story, if there's been residual water left in it the tank will have a "tide line" on it. It's only alloy so corrosion is an issue. Note, get piano wire and run it under the tank to remove. It's sikaflexed in pretty bloody tight and is a ***** to remove.

Things I'd add as soon as possible, trim tabs (holy **** what a change even on a smallish hull), increasing the transom to 25", the 20" is its major downside and does sometimes let a lot of water in (don't smash reverse into .5m waves if you don't like water in the boat or the bilge pump is small....), and if you're planning any sort of travel over 50km distance get a 4 banger asap, otherwise just pissfarting around the bay keep whatever 2 stroke is on it because you won't save enough in fuel to justify the upgrade cost
Ta mate.
Boat I was looking got sold b4 I could look at it...
Generally most trips be to wedge /raaf in summer and in winter weribee to st leonards.

Still got my 455 so no rush buy another....
Gee mate lucky bloke you have a boat and your getting another how many boats do you need
Once I buy bigger boat , I will sell the smaller one....
Hardly lucky, not like I'm buying 100k stabicraft
That's a big boat for Wedge and surrounding areas, are you going to be doing any offshore fishing? Either way you can't go wrong with a Carribean

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:22 am

Robbie1950 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:12 am
Don't be a tight arse bowl, spend an extra 50 and buy a Reef Runner :te:
Life's short Bowl...get the 100k Stabi

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:35 am

I have a personal fetish for the Caribbean Reef Runner and over the last couple years I've noticed it's become quiet scarce to find a second hand one. They just look like a solid boat that would ride really well. Anyone own one or have a personal experience on one?

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:10 am

Seniorfisho wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:38 am
bowl wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:30 am
e.welch wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:23 am
bowl wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:45 am
cobby wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:34 pm
A good decent hull that's neither crap nor the best. Expect a bit of spray from any chop 45-90° side on, don't expect a ride like a 17L, but they aren't garbage either and far more stable than the Haines, the fuel tank is actually 150L and not the advertised 110L (even the bloke who makes the tanks for international marine has nfi why they don't advertise them as 150 even though they are stamped 150...) so upsize the fire extinguisher to stay legal and covered by insurance! Cabin is more than enough for kids and most adults under 6ft. Take out the rear seat cushions and you can fish right at the transom on either side of the engine well. They're capable offshore even when it turns crap if the skipper is also capable.

Things to look out for is the fuel tank cover. It's only been brushed very roughly with flowcoat and is the first thing to crap out, especially if the floor is carpeted. It's an easy fix even diy with a new piece of ply glassed on both sides and then flowcoat the top and screwed back down. And the disc on the top of the seat pedestals is probably broken making rotating the seats harder and making a creaking sound with weight movements, no biggie really. They are built with ply so there is a possibility of a clapped out transom or stringers, but the Caribbeans aren't as prone as say a Haines of similar vintage to have major issues. Sticking your head in the bilge area and looking back towards the fuel tank with a light will tell a story, if there's been residual water left in it the tank will have a "tide line" on it. It's only alloy so corrosion is an issue. Note, get piano wire and run it under the tank to remove. It's sikaflexed in pretty bloody tight and is a ***** to remove.

Things I'd add as soon as possible, trim tabs (holy **** what a change even on a smallish hull), increasing the transom to 25", the 20" is its major downside and does sometimes let a lot of water in (don't smash reverse into .5m waves if you don't like water in the boat or the bilge pump is small....), and if you're planning any sort of travel over 50km distance get a 4 banger asap, otherwise just pissfarting around the bay keep whatever 2 stroke is on it because you won't save enough in fuel to justify the upgrade cost
Ta mate.
Boat I was looking got sold b4 I could look at it...
Generally most trips be to wedge /raaf in summer and in winter weribee to st leonards.

Still got my 455 so no rush buy another....
Gee mate lucky bloke you have a boat and your getting another how many boats do you need
Once I buy bigger boat , I will sell the smaller one....
Hardly lucky, not like I'm buying 100k stabicraft
That's a big boat for Wedge and surrounding areas, are you going to be doing any offshore fishing? Either way you can't go wrong with a Carribean
A little offshore out the heads.
Want a bit more comfort when it chops up .
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Return to “Boating”