Seeking advice on 2nd hand boat

JeremyG
Has liked: 2 times

Seeking advice on 2nd hand boat

Post by JeremyG » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:22 am

Hi all. Hoping to get some advice on a secondhand boat I’m looking at. It’s an older model 16’ Kingfisher fiberglass hull. I don’t know anything about them so would be interested to hear from anyone who owns one about how they go on the water and anything I should be looking out for?

Also just found out he had trouble with outboard yesterday In that it wouldn’t engage in reverse - any ideas what might cause that and whether that could be an expensive fix?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, and happy fishing!

Tackleberry
Has liked: 300 times

Re: Seeking advice on 2nd hand boat

Post by Tackleberry » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:40 pm

Keep looking ...... the last thing you need is a Money Pit
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:09 pm

What's ya budget buddy.

Wanna be bloody cheap if it will not go into reverse.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:18 pm

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:22 am
Hi all. Hoping to get some advice on a secondhand boat I’m looking at. It’s an older model 16’ Kingfisher fiberglass hull. I don’t know anything about them so would be interested to hear from anyone who owns one about how they go on the water and anything I should be looking out for?

Also just found out he had trouble with outboard yesterday In that it wouldn’t engage in reverse - any ideas what might cause that and whether that could be an expensive fix?

How old?

Reverse could be anything from a seized cable, gear shift linkage or failed gear box.

It is a strong indication of in the very least a lack of maintenance.

I would move on and keep looking.

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:52 pm

anything fiberglass pay careful attention to the transom and floor.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:11 pm

Get a boat inspection and water test prior to purchase.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:02 pm

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:22 am

Could be cable adjustment or gearbox rebuild

JeremyG
Has liked: 2 times

Post by JeremyG » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:21 pm

Hey thanks all. Really appreciate your comments. Been looking for ages but can only afford $10-12k

Doesn’t seem to be a lot on the market, so thought if I can get this around the $8k mark, even if I have to spend a bit on the motor I might be coming out ok.

Good point about getting it checked out..

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:52 pm

Its either a cheap fix and just an unfortunate event, or a bloody expensive one that's the start if a snowball. Which then can point to problems elsewhere from possible crap maintenance or none at all. On the motor alone rings could be on the way out, water passages almost corroded through, steering barely functional, then there's potential issues with what you can't see in the boat like stringers rotted out, floor rotted out, transom close to rotted out. And especially a concern on something like a Kingfisher that were never exactly known for A1 builds. I'd be doing a Flock of Seagulls at that boat

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:30 pm

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:21 pm
Hey thanks all. Really appreciate your comments. Been looking for ages but can only afford $10-12k
What sort of boat are you looking for? Im guessing fibreglass cuddy cabin (like a Kingfisher? i think). You will struggle to get a great boat at that price that has the whole package (boat, motor & trailer). But that doesnt mean it cant be done. As others have said, just pay a bit extra to get the boat checked out. And consider that you will most likely need to spend a fair bit of money down the line.

For example my Haines Hunter 460SLR cost me about $14000.. but i did it the hard way.

I bought my boss's old boat that needed a new transom at a cheap price and took the motor off it and put it onto the Haines, which i also picked up at a cheap price because it had no motor but otherwise is 100% solid.
The trailer was terrible and i knew it would only last me a couple of years, i have only just ordered a new one a few weeks ago, which is another $3000 on top.
And i have spent about $3000 on other things.. electronics, upgraded fittings, safety gear etc. And i still need to fit a new VHF.

On the other hand, if you are willing to buy a tiller steer tinny.. you will be able to find an absolute gun 4.2m - 4.5m unit in that price range.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Return to “Boating”