Precision Boat Trailers

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Precision Boat Trailers

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:33 pm

Does anybody have any experience with Precision Boat Trailers?

I was at the boat show last year checking out some trailers when someone recommended these guys. They do look pretty good in the photos and they are considerably cheaper than Mackay/Dunbier etc (they quoted me $5000!!).

I havent had a chance to talk to them yet, but i am now in a position where i will be buying something in the next few weeks and i do have a couple of questions that you guys might be able to help with. I tried to contact them a few weeks back but i couldnt get through and nobody answered my email. I am guessing they were just short staffed or closed due to Covid.

Number 1, how does it all work? Do i just pick up the trailer and swap the boat over myself? Do i NEED to get the boat fitted correctly or is this something that i can easily do myself.
And number 2, what do i do with the old trailer?

And finally does anybody know of any other local alternatives. The main one i am thinking of is Nautica.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Re: Precision Boat Trailers

Post by ben475 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:34 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:33 pm

I was at the boat show last year checking out some trailers when someone recommended these guys. They do look pretty good in the photos and they are considerably cheaper than Mackay/Dunbier etc (they quoted me $5000!!).

I havent had a chance to talk to them yet, but i am now in a position where i will be buying something in the next few weeks and i do have a couple of questions that you guys might be able to help with. I tried to contact them a few weeks back but i couldnt get through and nobody answered my email. I am guessing they were just short staffed or closed due to Covid.

Number 1, how does it all work? Do i just pick up the trailer and swap the boat over myself? Do i NEED to get the boat fitted correctly or is this something that i can easily do myself.

And finally does anybody know of any other local alternatives. The main one i am thinking of is Nautica.
not sure mate, they are probably ok for a cheap trailer, but i'm pretty sure nautica and precision are the same and connected in some way, or at least built in the same factory.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:13 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:33 pm

Transtyle Trailers are another local manufacturer in Melbourne. I have heard that they custom make them to suit the boat and do any necessary roller and boat positioning if required. I have no idea on costs though but the only suggestion I have is to go aluminum if your budget allows.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:44 pm

Get the boat fitted properly 100%

Sell the old trailer on gumtree etc.

Other local guys are Transtyle and Savage Trailers both in carrum downs about 3 mins from each other.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:57 am

Ask yourself the question if you’re gonna keep it for 5+ years or not. If you are spend the extra and get the savage trailer.

Transtyle took the **** when I got trailer quotes. Mackay and dunbier aren’t flash. Easy tow was expensive. Savage was the best quality/rating for the money and he was great to deal with.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:05 am

Over the years I have bought 2 new trailers. 1 st was a dunbier for a 4.7 half cabin where I bought it as part of the deal swapped the boat over and disposed of the old trailer. The second I bought an easytow 3 ton aluminium trailer with bunks. I gave them the dimensions of my boat they made it I drove to heathcote picked it up.
My mate towed it to Altona Boat ramp I towed the boat we swapped it over and adjusted it took about 2 hours to get it just right. I sold the old trailer on eBay.

SteveoTheTiger

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:17 am

Havent decided how long i will keep it. There is a good chance i will get rid of it in the next 5 - 8 years, unless we have another year of Covid. But at the same time there is a chance i will keep it and re-power instead. Probably depends on if the hull holds up for that long.. its 100% rock solid right now. The 460 SLR is great for 2 guys and you can get away with 3.. but its a tight fit.

From all reports i have seen Precision trailers are very good for the price. I just wanted to confirm that view with any of you guys that might have one. I know a gal trailer will not last as long as an alloy but they are also much cheaper (less than 1/2) and if well made and looked after i will easily get 8 - 10 years out of it based on my previous experience. So far i have not heard any bad reviews which is a good sign in this day and age of people complaining about everything. Having said that, i will definitely give Savage and Nautica a call for a quote.

The reality is that i NEED a new trailer and i need it NOW and this is what i can afford. My current trailer will not see out another year and is not really fit to be used right now. It is by far the worst trailer at the boat ramp lol.

If it wasnt for the poor health of a family member last year then i would have already replaced it a long time ago.

Nude Up, what did you do with the old trailer? Nobody is going to want to buy mine.. not even if i gave it away for free. The only thing of any value at all would be the winch (new last year) and the jocky wheel ($15 ??).

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:23 pm

My first trailer went for scrap the second I sold got around $1500 it had stainless calipers and a new sensabrake unit on it.
If yours is that bad salvage what you can and the metal recycling joint will take it for nothing. There again there is a sucker born every minute you could flog it on gumtree.

SteveoTheTiger

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:48 am

LOL i wouldnt have the heart to sell it so some poor bloke that doesnt know any better. Id hate to be responsible for someone's boat sliding down the road after the trailer disintegrates on them.

I'll look in to the metal scrap yard and when i get in contact with whoever i go with i will ask them if they have anyone they use to scrap old trailers.

SteveoTheTiger

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:36 pm

I did a quick ring around today and as expected some of those other brands were WAY out of my price range.. we are talking about trailers that are worth more than the boat and motor. There is no way i can justify having a $6000+ trailer.

So i have decided to go with Precision. Hopefully i can order it next week because there is already a 3 month wait.

This will be my first drive on trailer. Does anyone have any opinions on boat catch systems or anything like that? I will have do do the whole retrieval operation single handed most of the time.

Return to “Boating”