Fitting an underfloor fuel tank to a 455 Polycraft ?

Grasshopper67
Has liked: 2 times

Fitting an underfloor fuel tank to a 455 Polycraft ?

Post by Grasshopper67 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:45 pm

My brother had picked up a 2nd hand polycraft 455 front runner and is very happy with it. Yamaha 60 4 stroke fitted 300 hours on it etc

But it does have a 25 lite tote tank only. Does anyone know if an underfloor tank can be installed and of so how much ?
Alternatively if it’s not possible what’s the largest tote tank you can fit and is there a way to secure it to the floor?

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Re: Fitting an underfloor fuel tank to a 455 Polycraft ?

Post by VooDoo » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:53 am

Think i know which one your brother have bought - the one from Indented Head I presumed. Nice pirchase at the price especially with the Yamaha attached :tu:

Can't answer your question about the under floor fuel tank but very interest to know too.

Please do let us know how the poly perform on the water.

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Grasshopper67

Post by Grasshopper67 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:10 am

Yep you got it....that’s the one. Picking it up soon but just the idea of a tote tank floating around on deck bothers me. Guess there are some advantages too as it’s easy to to replace old fuel etc and check the tank etc

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:24 am

the totem tank usually sits in the back where the bungs are between the two storage pods. Shouldn't move around..
Id go out a a few times with the small tank and see how much fuel you are using, being a 4 stroke it might be just enough for the usual fishing trips, unless your going offshore or trolling quite a lot.

Whitworths and Arnold's boat shop sell many different sized totem tanks, measure the space you have in the back of the boat and see if one of them will fit.
They also sell underfloor tanks.

Polycraft will also have the parts you need for it, but honestly I dont think you will need it..

Grasshopper67

Post by Grasshopper67 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:57 am

Thanks mate yeah I’ll see how I go with tote to begin with and only consider underfloor if necessary. Only being used in the bay for snapper and whiting. Fish in close mainly. But very happy with purchase otherwise.

If I did want to get underfloor tank fitted do you know who in Melbourne would do this kind of work ?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:56 am

Mick's Marine if your in the west side. Dunno who else could do these sort of things. Will need to ring around..
If your only fishing the bay and in close then totem is plenty mate. I would just use that.
Easier to empty, clean etc.

The polycraft are notorious for having **** filler tubes for fuel where they often backup a fair bit, so filling the underfloor tank is a painfully slow process.
Seems more common in the brumby models but check to see if the drifters had the same issues..

I personally would just stick with totem for what your doing...

Polys are a great boat and very much underestimated in the boating world. Have fun with the new purchase
Dont forget to join the poly boat owners forum where you can find a lot more info on these types of boats
Cheers

Grasshopper67

Post by Grasshopper67 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:40 am

Will do abs thanks for advice !

Return to “Boating”