Anchor rope & chain replacement

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Anchor rope & chain replacement

Post by cobby » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:44 pm

Added advantage to running the motor whilst using the winch, stick it in gear at idle speed. It changes the angle of the rope and reduces the stress on the winch motor

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:50 pm

rb85 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:06 pm
Great subject Matt what materials are the lonestar motor & gearbox manufactured out of.
I have no idea about the specs, but it's a great unit & still looks brand new (I've had it a few years now). The only time it starts to struggle is when the tide is running fast in Western Port. It doesnt really need a 2nd battery, but it's worth it just for the peace of mind (especially if your offshore or bad weather is coming in).

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:22 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:48 pm
I've got the Lonestar GX1 and dual batteries (could run off a single battery, but if your using it a lot dual would be safer)....had a chain sock on the old one, not putting it on the new one at this stage purely because it's a tedious job.
I'll certainly be changing the rope every 5 years or so....it looked like friction had burnt the rope flat in some spots when I changed it over today.
Feed a yellow tongue through the sock. Pull the chain taught. Tie it off or have someone hold it. Then just push the sock over the top by loosening the Chinese finger trap setup. If you pull it tightens itself.

The socks are worth their weight in gold for near silent anchoring. Compared to the rattle of a chain. Especially on a tinny.

I’ve been trying to get down to lone star for a couple weeks before lockdown to buy a gx1 kit. Will have to wait till after this lockdown is done.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:13 am

rb85 wrote:
Great subject Matt what materials are the lonestar motor & gearbox manufactured out of.
After much research i decided in a lonestar because:
Lifetime warranty on motor
Motor outer casing machined aluminium casing (in Australia )i think,not cast ,and anodised
Aluminium cools quicker and better for heat dissapation

The rest of the winch is similar to the others

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:16 am

Ive had a GX1 Lone Star with a SARCA anchor for nearly 5 years and ive used it on over 1000 fushin trips mainly after whiting so its had a big work out'
The only thing that stuffed up was the up down up switch must have got salt water in it
No corrosion on motor housing, drum or gear box
Lone Star would be the only one I would purchase
Last edited by denis barden on Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:41 am

ducky wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:22 pm
Mattblack wrote:
I've got the Lonestar GX1 and dual batteries (could run off a single battery, but if your using it a lot dual would be safer)....had a chain sock on the old one, not putting it on the new one at this stage purely because it's a tedious job.
I'll certainly be changing the rope every 5 years or so....it looked like friction had burnt the rope flat in some spots when I changed it over today.
Feed a yellow tongue through the sock. Pull the chain taught. Tie it off or have someone hold it. Then just push the sock over the top by loosening the Chinese finger trap setup. If you pull it tightens itself.

The socks are worth their weight in gold for near silent anchoring. Compared to the rattle of a chain. Especially on a tinny.

I’ve been trying to get down to lone star for a couple weeks before lockdown to buy a gx1 kit. Will have to wait till after this lockdown is done.
Can you buy direct from Lone Star?

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:44 am

Mattblack wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:41 am
ducky wrote:
Mattblack wrote:

Ah probably not. I just assumed you could lol.

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:26 am

ducky wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:44 am
Mattblack wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:41 am
ducky wrote:
Mattblack wrote:

Ah probably not. I just assumed you could lol.
Not sure how competitive their prices are, but they were pretty quick...https://www.boathardware.com.au/anchor-winches/~-559

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:15 pm

fishnut wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:13 am
rb85 wrote:
Motor outer casing machined aluminium casing (in Australia )i think,not cast ,and anodised

Im trying to repair/service my muir winch which is over 10 years old the stainless bolts onto the gearbox frame have seized.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:14 pm

rb85 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:15 pm
fishnut wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:13 am
rb85 wrote:

Im trying to repair/service my muir winch which is over 10 years old the stainless bolts onto the gearbox frame have seized.
We use liquid wrench at work to remove stubborn bolts soaking them for a while then a bit of heat. The very worst case if it shears we get machine shop to spark erode it they are whizzes at it.

Return to “Boating”