Through the heads and cruising Bass Strait

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Through the heads and cruising Bass Strait

Post by CarlG » Sat May 23, 2020 3:43 pm

Kestrel wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:48 am
Thanks for the advice guys about getting out through the Rip ... very helpful.
What I was really trying to get info about was your experiences of what it's like out in Bass Strait AFTER getting through the Heads.
I have a 7 metre Merry Fisher.
Anyone care to share their experiences?
Cheers
Kestrel
We fish outside a fair bit. As a few of the guys have said, getting out is frequently the toughest part of the exercise.
I'd be picking a day with less than 1.3mtrs of swell, with swell periods of 15 seconds or more. Look for a day with less than 12 knots of northerly or north easterly wind.
It'll be a freaky experience once you first get out, but go explore. Travel out to 25+ metres deep, and cruise along the coast. Once you've done this a few times, you can start coming in closer to land, and get to grips with the coastline proper. It gets really interesting when you start chasing Kings, 'cos you often need to be right in the whitewash, and seeing it surge up and down the rocks 10 or 15 metres away can be fairly daunting.
On the whole, we prefer being outside to inside these days, some of the stuff you see will blow you away, huge schools of Dolphins, Whales, massive bust ups, it's all out there, go enjoy, just stay safe.

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Mon May 25, 2020 9:40 pm

Kestrel wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:48 am
Thanks for the advice guys about getting out through the Rip ... very helpful.
What I was really trying to get info about was your experiences of what it's like out in Bass Strait AFTER getting through the Heads.
I have a 7 metre Merry Fisher.
Anyone care to share their experiences?
Cheers
Kestrel
Hi Kestrel, I've been out a few times, from Torquay to Cape Schank and a few laps in between. Out as far as about 40-50 meters deep. Mostly I end up out the front of Barwon Heads.
I pick my days because I get seasick. I use fishraider to asses the primary and secondary swell.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue May 26, 2020 3:24 pm

cobby wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:09 am
I've done most of my strait trips out of Westernport and more often than not heading out the western entrance or around Woolamai is almost back breaking compared to what's just around the corner outside.
Couldn’t agree more lol.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue May 26, 2020 10:34 pm

Kestrel wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:14 am
Hi guys
Has anyone taken their boat through the heads and then turned left or right and travelled 'inner' Bass Strait?
It's something I'd like to do in my 20' Merry Fisher, but the reputation of the 'Strait' has me concerned.
Yes of course I would check the weather and act accordingly (and safely) and have the right safety gear.... but what I'm interested in is hearing from any of you who have done it in a boat around the same size as mine about your experiences and any tips you may have.
Cheers
Kestrel.
It's fine.
No need to worry.
I have a open plate boat....no probs
Don't go out on silly weather conditions.
Pass through the rip on slack water the first time
I dont fish for anything but kingies out there.

Bm

Return to “Boating”