Formula 15 Renovation

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Formula 15 Renovation

Post by ducky » Sun May 31, 2020 7:28 pm

Bit more progress today. The front laid up. Was an absolute ***** getting access doing 1200mm wide double bias. Ended up absolutely covered in resin kneeling in it etc. had help from a couple mates today for the front section, mixing resin. Passing cloth etc. Thanks pisscutter.

Once the front was finished we settled in for a few beers. When the boys left I ended up having a crack at the back section solo. Went well. Just need to grind back the middle section where the loose cloth is and lay the final section.

Have learnt that loose fibres off the double bias and be an absolute PITA. Catches on your tools and lifts the cloth.

With any luck can get middle section done tomorrow. Start getting my stringer levels sorted and potentially tabbed in during the week. Then get some serious layups happening over the coming long weekend.

ducky

Post by ducky » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:45 pm

A few updates. Took a minor break to focus on some fishing. Motivation was low with the icy weather. But got the hull completely laid up. Transom is glassed in with 2500gsm. Was knocking back the resin spot and any sharp bits of choppy on Friday with a brand new 180mm 24 grit sanding disk on the grinder. Managed to give my knee a touch up. Ripped straight through my pants. Did what any reasonable person would do in the situation. Patched myself up and went straight back to work. Will take the dressing off tonight and see what I’m dealing with.

Anyway last night got the stringers bogged in place. Need to break out the 180mm grinder again and even out the bog then a thin skim over the top again so I’ve got smooth angles to glass to during the week.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:36 pm

Looking great, that cut is right on the bendy part of the knee, nasty

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:53 pm

Lucky you didn't cut your kneecap in half, damn
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:01 pm

Dangar Stu would be happy with that one.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:00 pm

Looks sick, where did you get the box stringers from?
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

ducky

Post by ducky » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:27 pm

Snapper Snatcher wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:00 pm
Looks sick, where did you get the box stringers from?
The bloke that made the rear deck. But now that I’ve done a bit of glassing I’ve worked out they are a piece of **** to do. Just melamine boxes knocked up in the size you want and then laid up.

ducky

Post by ducky » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:43 pm

After a week of selfishly choosing sleep over projects I got stuck back in. Stringers glassed in to the hull. Gave it a full grind out and took it for a casual cruise down the freeway to help blow out what the vacuum couldn’t get. Got it home and put the console and front seat/mini deck in to get measurements. Got the console as far forward as possible without people clashing knees whilst travelling. Spoke to a few formula/445 owners and the drivers position is pretty much bang on factory location.

Once this was sorted I took it down to canfred engineering for a brainstorm on tank requirements and what they need in terms of pipe runs etc. With that information I can now sort out my conduits and other bits of kit needed before starting the floor build.

Cut open the stringers and flow coated the hull inside yesterday and just finished foam filling. That’s a pretty cool material. Turns out I’ve got some leftover so I’ll probably do the other sides of the stringers too. Hadn’t originally planned on it but I figure I can’t hurt.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:20 pm

Great project and great work I am to lazy and young to take on something like that

ducky

Post by ducky » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:51 pm

Some more progress pics. Have foam filled the hull and completely sealed it in. Made up some knees and bogged them in. Just finished glassing the long timbers I’m using to screw hatches, conduits, hinges etc to as I don’t want any screws piercing the glass stringers to hopefully eliminate any potential for water logging etc.

Coming together. Tomorrow should get the other timbers bogged in place and begin coving it all for glass layup. Then it’s a matter of working on the bulkheads for fuel tank and bilge area, kill tank etc.

Return to “Boating”