Formula 15 Renovation

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Re: Formula 15 Renovation

Post by colnick » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:10 pm

Gee Ducky, I'm just blown away that anybody could take this project on and do it so successfully. Must give you a great sense of achievement.
By the way, that motor must be close to the max power rating for the hull?
Congratulations, Col.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:57 pm

colnick wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:10 pm
Gee Ducky, I'm just blown away that anybody could take this project on and do it so successfully. Must give you a great sense of achievement.
By the way, that motor must be close to the max power rating for the hull?
Congratulations, Col.
Cheers mate

In terms of power it’s pretty much on the maximum for what you’d want to put on in both hp and weight. The 115 is the same motor as a 90hp which is the traditional “max” for the hull. A few formula 15’s were factory rated at 115. This one was rated to 60hp but it’s been Rebuilt to the Australian standard for above 140hp. When it’s finished I’ll need to put a new builders plate on.

A mates got a 115 pro xs on his which he admits is too much power for the hull. Another mate built the exact hull with a 115 opti and loved it. His only gripe was that he didn’t extend the transom to 25” so I learnt from that error.

Allegedly the hull gets a bit flighty and scary around 84kmh but cruises absolutely beautifully around 68kmh. Which the 115 will in a very economical rev range whilst doing rather then wringing it’s neck to get above 45kmh with 2 on board.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:27 pm

Looking good.

Just curious.. before going in to this project you obviously seem to know what you are doing. Have you done this sort of thing before?

I think i mentioned earlier that i would be terrified to do a project like this. I would be so worried that ive done something wrong and the engine is going to fall off or something. I was proud of myself for mounting a bait board in my boat haha.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:42 pm

Ducky what are you going to do when your finished because don’t you already have a boat?

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:17 pm

e.welch wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:42 pm
Ducky what are you going to do when your finished because don’t you already have a boat?
This is his boat. It wasn't another one bought to chop and rebuild.

Hey Ducky parts are easy to get for the 1.5 optis. They're a 225 basically cut in half. Run the same pistons and all

ducky

Post by ducky » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:37 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:27 pm
Looking good.

Just curious.. before going in to this project you obviously seem to know what you are doing. Have you done this sort of thing before?

I think i mentioned earlier that i would be terrified to do a project like this. I would be so worried that ive done something wrong and the engine is going to fall off or something. I was proud of myself for mounting a bait board in my boat haha.
The first bit of glassing I’ve ever done was on this boat. Never done a boat or anything similar. But I’ve got a great resource having a few friends that have rebuilt boats that I have bounced hundreds of ideas off.

But if you can build stuff out of timber and wield a jigsaw/circ saw/grinder/sander you can rebuild a boat...

Cobby. Yeah all feedback on the optis were they were bullet proof. This one has 140 hours and is in pristine condition. I also happen to have a spare here that I’ve got to flog off. Bought a long shaft and decided to extend to put an extra long shaft.

Welch. Yeah this is my boat. Have had it for around 6 years. I went to put underfloor fuel and a new console in at the start of covid and found wet timber everywhere. So was forced to bite the bullet. Couldn’t justify paying a pro which would have been a $17k+ job with what I’m doing so I did it solo.

ducky

Post by ducky » Sun May 16, 2021 9:43 pm

Well there’s been seemingly stuff all progress for months. Had a false start with the bloke spraying my gelcoat the other day. I dropped it off thinking it was ready only to learn it needed a bucket load more sanding. So I’ve been through a dozen sanding belts and about 8m of 40-60grit keying it all up.

Took the opportunity to rest the aching forearms and shoulders between sanding sessions to redo the hatch covers.

I was going to persevere with the old ones that had a big bow in it because I’d spent hours squaring them up, but given the look the glasser gave me when he saw them I decided replacement would be best. Picked his brain about how he would do it and gave it a crack.

I’ve glad it’s taken dozens of efforts glassing sheets to finally learnt how to make good glass joints over the edges... Along with a neat little trick I’ve discovered with baking paper to get a smooth finish on the glass.

Got an inspection with the glasser again tomorrow night and hopefully booking in the gel/flowcoat.

Anyone know someone who would be able to sand back and polish the gelcoat when all is said and done. Called a couple detailers and the hardest part is getting it done within the next month.

Will add the pics shortly. Forgot that direct upload leads to crappy pic order

ducky

Post by ducky » Sun May 16, 2021 9:55 pm

ducky

Post by ducky » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:06 pm

Getting there. Dozens more hours of sanding and I’ll be ready for polish...

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:51 pm

:vy: looking good .
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Return to “Boating”