Trailer bearing replacement

beefy

Re: Trailer bearing replacement

Post by beefy » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:19 pm

denis barden wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:41 pm
Bearing Buddies IMO are the same as Shiney Lures and Braid=Wank
Ive had them before and thay leak salt water in over time where as a correctly fitted cap doesnt-The grease inside is designed to melt when warm and lubricate the bearing-No need for full grease under pressure from a bearing buddy.
Denis,

I'm afraid I've got the Wank factor :)

Seriously though the principle of the Bearing Buddies makes a lot of sense to me, and it should not be possible for water to enter if they are used PROPERLY, no matter how much time passes. It's all about positive pressure. If you have an inflated football, stick a small needle in it, and push it underwater, what happens ??? You see air bubbles leaking out. You do not get water going through the pin hole and into the football. With Bearing Buddies the most important thing is checking the spring is loaded up just before launching the boat. Due to the spring pressure, the bearing housing is then under positive pressure so it should literally be impossible for water to enter when the pressure inside the bearing housing is greater than the water pressure outside. The trailer hub would have to go deep enough so the water pressure was greater than the pressure inside the hub for any water to get in. Personally I like the idea of the spring being compressed more rather than less, as more spring compression means more force and thus more positive pressure.
With Bearing Buddies the hub is supposed to be completely filled with grease. Any included air is supposed to gradually make it way out when it finds an exit (such as where the Bearing Buddy is pressed into the hub, air can gradually get out but the gap is too thin for the grease to squeeze through). As any air makes it's way out, the spring will extend until it bottoms out, then you no longer have positive internal pressure. That's when water could get in especially if warm hubs are suddenly submerged, the hub cools, the grease & any air contracts, and there may even develop a slightly negative pressure that can suck water in. That's why they need to be regularly checked to ensure the spring is compressed.
I'd bet there's not a great deal of users would take a grease gun with them and if necessary pump some grease in the Bearing Buddies just before launching. I check my Bearing Buddy springs are loaded up just before leaving home, then I check again just before putting the trailer in the water.
I'm a mechanical fitter and did not like the idea of hubs being completely filled with grease. Sealed bearings for instance are never fully packed with grease, maybe half filled and the rest is air. However, the rotational speed of wheel hubs is probably not too fast to cause heating issues due to churning the grease around. I've recently installed new bearings, seals and Bearing Buddies and totally packed the hubs with zero air. Half an hour run at 100 Ks on a hot day and the hubs were only tepid.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:04 pm

Be careful when pumping the grease into the BB’s. If you overdo it it will blow past the rear seal and make a horrible mess.

I run BB on one side of my trailer and regular caps on the other side because some bastard stole the BBs from that side. I’m not convinced they are that much better, if I had them I’d use them but I don’t think they’re a panacea for not doing simple checks on the wheels and bearings a couple of times a season.

I’ve taken off caps and BBs to find a small amount of water in the hubs before and I just flush it out with a bit of fresh water and leave it to dry before adding a little extra grease reinstalling them.

Adding grease to the BB is a far less messy job for sure.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:40 pm

My understanding on bearing buddies is you pump grease in till the plate just starts to move then stop. To allow for expansion and not blow the rear seal out.
Here are some pictures of my mates boat he just bought it had caps with a grease nipple he told my mate to pump grease in when you leave home before you launch as well as you can see he blew the seal out of all 4 wheels.
I just replaced my wheel bearings for the 1st time in 6 years and to be honest they didn't need changing. I then towed the boat 1700 klm to bermagui and back wheels never got hot
Attachments
16467319895231.jpg
16467319894620.jpg

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:33 pm

I did my bearings and brakes just before the boat was finished last year. So far so good regarding temps. Did lakes to home in a straight hit and bearings wouldn't have been above 50c. Only slightly warm to the touch.

You know what can absolutely get f'd though. Grease guns. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but despite the gun having a massive pressure on the spring I can't get it to maintain pressure on the grease. Im 99% certain I'm doing something wrong but I can't work it out. I've got bearing buddies on mine and haven't given them so much as a squirt since the job was completed.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/ale ... er&start=4

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:05 pm

ducky wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:33 pm
I did my bearings and brakes just before the boat was finished last year. So far so good regarding temps. Did lakes to home in a straight hit and bearings wouldn't have been above 50c. Only slightly warm to the touch.

You know what can absolutely get f'd though. Grease guns. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but despite the gun having a massive pressure on the spring I can't get it to maintain pressure on the grease. Im 99% certain I'm doing something wrong but I can't work it out. I've got bearing buddies on mine and haven't given them so much as a squirt since the job was completed.

sometimes bleeding some air out can help but some grease guns are just **** and wont pump. im not sure if its a design issue or just something wrong with that particular gun.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:44 pm

ducky wrote:

Hey Ducky, not trying to be smart but did you take the seal off the cartridge and bleed the air out?

Also some grease guns are designed to be manually filled with grease from a tub rather then taking a cartridge.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:17 pm

Seal definitely off. Id guess it's airlocking. I've cartridge loaded it. That unit can apparently take cartridge or bulk loading. Don't remember actively bleeding air. I'd bought a spring loaded bearing packer at the same time so was able to pack them via manually loading the grease in.

I must admit my research is absolutely 0. I reckon 10 mins scrolling YouTube would probably solve it. But I just haven't done it haha

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:24 pm

Sometimes you have to bleed more air out using the bleed screw which is a pain powered grease guns are the way to go

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:57 pm

Nude up wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:24 pm
Sometimes you have to bleed more air out using the bleed screw which is a pain powered grease guns are the way to go
Yep agreed, I've had many grease guns over the years and all were different at how long before the first time they initially pumped grease, some fairly quick 5 to 10 pumps some took a lot longer 10 to 20 pumps, some releasing the bleed screw helped some it didn't.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:11 pm

ducky wrote:

Hahahahah..
I had the same issue, still do except the grease gun is now at the tip somewhere.
Couldn't bleed it properly for the life of me, after having numerous goes numerous different times it went straight in the bin.
Will just get the mechanic to fill I up for the time being, but I'll get another one at some stage. One that can take a cartridge will be less mess from the looks of it.
I tried both ways in the old one for no dice..

Return to “Boating”