Trailer bearing replacement

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Trailer bearing replacement

Post by ducky » Sun May 10, 2020 12:59 pm

If there’s a bit of play but the next tension is too much I’d take it for a small drive then re tighten it and see if it’s bedded in?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 10, 2020 1:20 pm

A smidge like the 1mm of play is ok I'd say. But what ducky has suggested is the best way to try and fix it.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun May 10, 2020 1:49 pm

KeenAds wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:31 pm
The right side bearings went in no issue but the left one when I noticed that after seating the bearing and backing off the nut slightly there is about 1mm or so of play. If I tighten the nut slightly to the next split pin hole the play goes away but I think the bearing is to tight for my liking.

I was going to add a round fibre washer to give me a bit more tightness but wasn't sure if this was the right thing to do.

Has anyone ever had this and is it ok or what should I do.

Thanks guys.
ducky wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:59 pm
If there’s a bit of play but the next tension is too much I’d take it for a small drive then re tighten it and see if it’s bedded in?

I wouldn't be adding a fibre washer that can wear away, hence going back to a loose fit.

What ducky said is similar to what I have done. But not taking it for a drive as such.

You are effectively trying to gain 1/12 a turn of the nut. As each split location coincides with 1/6 turn.

Have the wheel fitted, then nib the nut up to where it is snug (not over-tight), hold the nut in position with your hand and then, hand turn (fast) the wheel mostly in the travel direction, but also in its reverse direction. This should bed the bearing in, somewhat and most often, is enough to gain that 1/12 turn of the nut to be fitting nicely. And without having to take the trailer for a drive, but the same principle.

Cheers, Bearinggattti :-D

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Sun May 10, 2020 3:07 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

The bearings are definitely beded in properly I always do it how Bugs said. I will check again in a week or so after they have done a few km and see if it has changed.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu May 14, 2020 11:06 am

Query.

how often do the bearing buddies need to be re greased?

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu May 14, 2020 11:34 am

purple5ive wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:06 am
Query.

how often do the bearing buddies need to be re greased?
Bearing Buddies.JPG
Bearing Buddies.JPG (21.75 KiB) Viewed 1510 times

Over explaining for a general explanation for anyone reading.

With those Bearing Buddies being spring loaded, you fill them till the nipple plate (or what ever it's called) has been pushed outwards by the filling of the grease, compressing the spring. Once full (nipple plate fully "pumped" out) they slowly push (via spring loaded) the grease through the bearings and wheel hub.

So only fill again, once you notice that the nipple plate has been pushed inwards by the spring. This would happen more frequently with newly fitted bearings and Bearing Buddies, as the spring pushes/works the grease into vacant spaces in the bearings, hubs. Once most of the internal vacant spaces are filled with grease, from the use of the trailer and being filled with grease as the Bearing Buddies do their pushing in thing, then they would need 'topping up" less frequently.

Always keep the Bearing Buddy chamber "loaded" with grease. So sometimes just a squirt is enough.

Over topping and more "frequently than required" pumping in with grease, just pushes the grease through the hub and the inside of your trailer wheel is going to accumulate with "dispensed" grease.

Cheers, Bearing Bug :-D

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu May 14, 2020 11:45 am

was hard to tell for me when i filled it as the grease gun stuck to the nipple a bit too much for my liking and i literally had to pry it out thereby moving the plate.
ill keep at it, one side had grease coming out the bleeder hole, other one didnt.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Thu May 14, 2020 12:58 pm

Just fill them enough till you see the plate moving in then stop. They just need to keep the grease under pressure slightly during the heat and cool cycles. This is what stops them pulling in water and dust.

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:29 pm

It appears standard trailer seals are normal for Dunbier trailers

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:41 pm

Bearing Buddies IMO are the same as Shiney Lures and Braid=Wank
Ive had them before and thay leak salt water in over time where as a correctly fitted cap doesnt-The grease inside is designed to melt when warm and lubricate the bearing-No need for full grease under pressure from a bearing buddy.

Return to “Boating”