Trailer bearing replacement

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Trailer bearing replacement

Post by purple5ive » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:46 pm

Had a crack to remove one side and see what bearing were used so I can get replacements.

First problem. Wheels nuts are fairly glued on.. I did spray some inox on them last night but still no go.
Broke out the heat gun and gave it a good dose.
Eventually with a torque wrench they came out.
It has ford bearings so I'll have to order them in from super cheap. They have timken on clearance atm for 16 a side.

Also on the grease. Timken one doesn't say marine greases, should it matter? Some traiker mob online is selling the timken marine bearings with the same grease as a package

Or just get proper marine grease? Suggestions?

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:15 pm

I have used marine grease for the last 30 years never had a bearing failure. If it was me I would only use marine grease the same that I lube my outboard with.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:39 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:46 pm
Had a crack to remove one side and see what bearing were used so I can get replacements.

First problem. Wheels nuts are fairly glued on.. I did spray some inox on them last night but still no go.
It has ford bearings so I'll have to order them in from super cheap. They have timken on clearance atm for 16 a side.

On the Bearings, give CBC ( Consolidated Bearing Company) a call. They can give you the low down on Bearings, they might price match but remember you get what you pay for. Depends on how much of a quality Bearing you feel you want.

On the Glued wheel Nuts. Just be mindful, a Torque Wrenching might strip threads or shear the wheel bolt thingy. The inox and leaving it as you did is great (as you'd know) but one thing I have done after inoxing (seen a mechanic do it) is get a metal pipe that is the size to rest up against the nut but the pipe opening wide enough to allow the threads in. Then a few quick sharp (but not super hard) hits on the pipe with a hammer. Not hard enough to do damage anything but firm enough just to try and "crack" the seal of the nut on the threads. The vibration from what I understand, "jars" the nut and helps crack the seal.

Wheel Nuts.JPG

Nude up wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:15 pm
I have used marine grease for the last 30 years never had a bearing failure. If it was me I would only use marine grease the same that I lube my outboard with.
Agreed, I do the same.

One thing that helps is always having the bearings loaded with grease, and with Bearing Buddies it's so easy :tu:

Cheers, Bugs

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:22 am

Pack the bearings yourself and buy a hub in a tub to keep in the car/centre console as an emergency hub incase you ever have a major failure on the side of the road.

My spare wheel is mounted as a beach launch wheel so it has a working hub that’s also good for an emergency spare if needed.

I got quoted a similar amount. Around $300 to do bearings. Considering it’s probably 1.5 hours by the time they start and stop it’s a little rich but that’s the price I suppose.

I’m just gonna buy a bearing packer. Got the bearings here to changeover after I finish working on the boat. For $30 off ebay it saves the mess of working in grease by hand. Last time I did it the glove broke on the 3rd bearing haha.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:12 am

Bugatti wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:39 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:46 pm

On the Bearings, give CBC ( Consolidated Bearing Company) a call. They can give you the low down on Bearings, they might price match but remember you get what you pay for. Depends on how much of a quality Bearing you feel you want.

On the Glued wheel Nuts. Just be mindful, a Torque Wrenching might strip threads or shear the wheel bolt thingy. The inox and leaving it as you did is great (as you'd know) but one thing I have done after inoxing (seen a mechanic do it) is get a metal pipe that is the size to rest up against the nut but the pipe opening wide enough to allow the threads in. Then a few quick sharp (but not super hard) hits on the pipe with a hammer. Not hard enough to do damage anything but firm enough just to try and "crack" the seal of the nut on the threads. The vibration from what I understand, "jars" the nut and helps crack the seal.

Wheel Nuts.JPG

Nude up wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:15 pm
Agreed, I do the same.

One thing that helps is always having the bearings loaded with grease, and with Bearing Buddies it's so easy :tu:

Cheers, Bugs
Thanks for the tip Uncle Bill, ill try that before breaking out the hair dryer.
Marine grease it is, reason i asked was the timken one says its water resistant on their website, but no proof of it on the jar (picture from website)

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:15 am

ducky wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:22 am
Pack the bearings yourself and buy a hub in a tub to keep in the car/centre console as an emergency hub incase you ever have a major failure on the side of the road.

My spare wheel is mounted as a beach launch wheel so it has a working hub that’s also good for an emergency spare if needed.

I got quoted a similar amount. Around $300 to do bearings. Considering it’s probably 1.5 hours by the time they start and stop it’s a little rich but that’s the price I suppose.

I’m just gonna buy a bearing packer. Got the bearings here to changeover after I finish working on the boat. For $30 off ebay it saves the mess of working in grease by hand. Last time I did it the glove broke on the 3rd bearing haha.
yeah the 300 is similar to what i got as well from memory.
but going off the prices for bearings almost 40 bucks per side (alko) plus grease (20) and their labour charge, i can see it getting there when done at a mechanics.

a spare hub and wheel is def. an essential item, will have to invest in them soon.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:46 pm

Finally.
Got the bearing replaced, almost every part of my body is now in agony :(

the old ones seemed to be in good nick when they came out, the dust seal cap on the outer only had a tiny amount of moisture in it.
i used Timken Bearings, but noticed one thing. the Timken Marine seal only has a single lip inside it, where as the Alko Ones that came Out had 2 Lips creating a better barrier against water Ingress.
if i had known it was alco bearing in there from the start i would have got them, they are almost twice the price of timkens.
i also installed bearing buddies while i was at it, man those things take a bit of getting right :o_0:

next thing ill tackle is the jockey wheel, just a strip down and regrease the internals.
hopefully by then it will be time to go fishing. :-D

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:52 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:46 pm
Finally.
Got the bearing replaced, almost every part of my body is now in agony :(

the old ones seemed to be in good nick when they came out, the dust seal cap on the outer only had a tiny amount of moisture in it.
i used Timken Bearings, but noticed one thing. the Timken Marine seal only has a single lip inside it, where as the Alko Ones that came Out had 2 Lips creating a better barrier against water Ingress.
if i had known it was alco bearing in there from the start i would have got them, they are almost twice the price of timkens.
i also installed bearing buddies while i was at it, man those things take a bit of getting right :o_0:

next thing ill tackle is the jockey wheel, just a strip down and regrease the internals.
hopefully by then it will be time to go fishing. :-D

Well done 5teve :gj:

If the old ones aren't too bad, keep them. But pack them with grease, heaps, put them in a little plastic container as emergency spares. Keep them in your car (spare tyre location), so hopefully you never use them but if on the road away somewhere and a bearing goes on you, you have them to be able to limp home. Spare washers and a (or 2) cotter pins.

A point, if you do this. Tape up the lid of the container, wrap then in some material to absorb any leakage (cotton is more absorbent). Then tape the buggery out of it on top of the material, so it stays sealed.

If not , , , , discard this advice and try and forget you even wasted your time reading this. If you need a little more help trying to forget my advice and wasting your time reading my post , , , , I can steer you in the direction of a Psychiatrist I use BUT to be honest, he has only had limited success with me :-D

Cheers, Bugs

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:02 pm

Ive packed them.up in the old plastic packaging.
Sealing it before putting in the car or boat, wherever I can find a spot for it.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Sun May 10, 2020 12:31 pm

Yesterday thought I would tackle this job on my own trailer (tradie top trailer) as it's been a few years since I done them. Had the new bearings sitting at home in the shed so as it was wet and rainy and couldn't do anything else I got to it.

Now I have replaced bearings many times before so I know the ins and I outs. I have a question though. The right side bearings went in no issue but the left one when I noticed that after seating the bearing and backing off the nut slightly there is about 1mm or so of play. If I tighten the nut slightly to the next split pin hole the play goes away but I think the bearing is to tight for my liking.

I was going to add a round fibre washer to give me a bit more tightness but wasn't sure if this was the right thing to do.

Has anyone ever had this and is it ok or what should I do.

Thanks guys.

Return to “Boating”